• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need help removing old vinyl

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
We do too. No oily residue like with many adhesive removers.
Hot water pressure washer 3500-4k psi 4gpm works then get the adhesive off with non chlorinated brake clean.
Yea, very clean stuff to work with and works instantly. I buy them by the case to get a discount. Also good for getting oil based paint out of you clothes and scratches out of ACM.

Fuel Media

vynil zapper

Attachments

• mbxvinylremover.gif
    mbxvinylremover.gif
    56.5 KB · Views: 88
For projects like that, the first process choice would be a pressure washer, cold water only, optimally 7000 PSI, following up with adhesive remover with an emulsifier in it that is sprayed liberally on dry adhesive then pressure washed off after sufficient dwell period. That being said, we always make our determination based on re-purpose intent( re-wrap, sell, re-lease, re-place...), then consider what the most economical solution would be.
Based on the photo, the vinyl is way out of warranty and the spider-cracking indicates that it is no longer reminiscent of vinyl material, more similar to paint. This leaves us with less options(paint remover, pressure blasting or steam removal w/chemical assist) and greater potential for substrate damage. At this point we inform the client that surface damage may occur, set our pricing and secure a verified response and approval.
The reason we blast with cold water pressure washer is because a hot water PW softens the vinyl and the painted substrate which greatly increases the damage we inflict. A hot water PW also heats the adhesive off the surface and can cause extra work and material cost removing the particles from where ever they go, and they always go somewhere. If the client "just wants it off by any means" damage is not a concern so quick is better most of the time. We always default to the least toxic and most economical solution.