• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

need help "slicing" a 3D file in Enroute

signage

Here's a cool project I saw a guy do! These PDFs are 3D views.

Attachments

• long chair.PDF
    799.2 KB · Views: 181
  • chaise pantone v4.PDF
    207.9 KB · Views: 169

GB2

Old Member
Why don't you just create the island and then slice it up on a table saw or some other equilvalant tool?

John Butto

iSign: the island you created is really nice looking. You should look into "Art in Public Places" projects with your state.

iSign

Why don't you just create the island and then slice it up on a table saw or some other equilvalant tool?

this is a last minute idea to create a large sculpture with simple affordable 2D routing. I have just barely enough time to do what I am trying to do. The file needs to be sliced digitally, or the idea needs to be retired...

..but Wayne has it figured out in Rhino, and has agreed to help me!! :U Rock:

I'll keep ya'll posted!

yes John, I do have ambitions to submit some fine art projects for use or purchase somewhere someday!

by the way, great links artbot!!
here is one that reminds me quite a bit of this project I am trying to move on...

CES020

Y'all have seen 123Make from AutoDesk, haven't you? If not, google it. It's free.

Only drawback is it handles small sheet sizes, but if you scaled everything, you might be able to do wonders by blowing it up.

Here's a 3D car model and then the output from 123Make. You can control the number of slices in all axis, as well as the direction of the slice. You can slice it from an angle if you wanted too. It doesn't care. I've not done a project with it yet, but I've played around with it a number of times now.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-02-14 at 7.04.52 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2013-02-14 at 7.04.52 PM.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 198
  • Screen Shot 2013-02-14 at 7.05.11 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2013-02-14 at 7.05.11 PM.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 239

iSign

Y'all have seen 123Make from AutoDesk, haven't you? If not, google it. It's free.

Only drawback is it handles small sheet sizes, but if you scaled everything, you might be able to do wonders by blowing it up.

Here's a 3D car model and then the output from 123Make. You can control the number of slices in all axis, as well as the direction of the slice. You can slice it from an angle if you wanted too. It doesn't care. I've not done a project with it yet, but I've played around with it a number of times now.

CES020, that is a great help... thank you very much!

Wayne (GAC05) has been helping me with rhino, but he saw this post, DL'd 123, & sent me his height-map data, or .stl file to try out making my vectors in 123D Make, instead of him doing it in Rhino. I need to get some jobs out before i can play with it some more... but with the weekend about to start, I think I have what I need just in time to use the productive time available to me outside of business demands, so I can move forward on this personal project!

CES020

My pleasure Doug, glad it helped. I've certainly learned a lot from you over the years, so if I can give a fraction back, I'm happy to.

That program came out and it gave control over a lot of things. Then they stopped it all together for a short time and relaunched it with the option to create and have things laser cut for you by them. So what was a stand alone program you could do anything with, changed to a program that is designed to funnel work to them so they can cut your shapes. You used to be able to change the sheet sizes, etc, but I think they changed it so your sheet size can't be larger than their laser, which is a bummer, but we can work around that by just scaling it all, I guess :)

Good luck with your project!
Steve

p.s. If you like that program, check out http://www.123dapp.com/catch

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Steve that program is very cool, nice find.
There is an option (at least on the pc version) to set custom sheet sizes larger than those listed in the drop down list.
It is the pencil icon under the manufacturing header.
Now if I only had a routing table I'd be in hog heaven.

wayne k
guam usa

CES020

Great find Wayne! Thanks!

Just to clarify, you can use the photo thingy I listed last, to make the 3D model of a person, place, or thing, and then take that model into 123D and make the shape. They have 5 or 6 programs like that, that all work to create various things.

iSign

Wayne wasn't kidding about 123D being "the easy button"
after converting my bitmap image to an .stl file (from the digital elevation model or .dem file I gave him) and loading it into 123D, Wayne sent me the resulting .3dmk file...

with my sheet thickness of 1/4" programmed in, and sheet dimensions of 48" x 96", this program gave me awesome 3D renderings of the exact type of model I wanted to build, (or other types with another mouse click), an after tweaking the spacing, or number of slices a few times... I could simply export an .eps file of all the parts, nested to my sheet size, including small engravable reference numbers to assist in assembly!

I'll report back :)

iSign

progress report:

cutparts.JPG

I didn't want to engrave all the numeric puzzle key information right on each piece, and next to each slot... so I printed it out to scale, on paper... but I also printed some small 1/2" white-on-clear part number decals on the edge, to help sort it all out:

partnumbers.jpg

...so, it's 10 pm & everything is cleaned, peeled & has the numeric ID code decals in place...

assembly.JPG

...TIME FOR ASSEMBLY!!!
(wish me luck !)

Last edited by a moderator:

iSign

so, when I switched from my first thought of using plywood, to using some extra 1/4" clear plex I had around, I gave up on the paper mache idea, but still want to dream up some finishing touch!

...but for now, I just wanted to show off how amazing this software is, that all these parts are fitting together perfectly on the first run!!

John Butto

That is some nice project that you are involving yourself into. I can just picture laying fiberglass sheet onto that.

iSign

Thanks everyone!

If I do some edge lighting, or surface application, I will post the results!

That is some nice project that you are involving yourself into. I can just picture laying fiberglass sheet onto that.

I can't help but wonder if 1/8" clear acrylic sitting in the sun would droop right down onto this surface, before the heat would effect the current structure?