• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need help translating to Spanish

GoodPeopleFlags

Can anyone help me with the proper Spanish translation of the following text?:

"Construction Area - Authorized Personnel Only - Do Not Enter"

&

"To enter this area you must have Hard Hat & Safety Glasses"

Thanks!

GoodPeopleFlags

I did but I wanted to double check with you guys. The translation I got didn't seem quite right. I know there are some Hispanic folks around here so thought I would ask.

signgal

I made it a policy to not translate. The customer provides the translation because (especially with Spanish) you're never right... it doesn't matter if you ask a Spanish professor, as I did. Someone will always tell your customer the translation is wrong, after the sign is done. I had a really good customer that we did a sign like this for... changed it 3 times before I told them, no more!

signrios

"Construction Area (area en construccion) -
Authorized Personnel Only(solamente personal autorizado) -
Do Not Enter" (no entrar)

&

( para entrar a esta area debe de usar casco y lentes de seguridad)

is not the exact translation, it cannot be done translating word by word.

there might be different translations depending on the area (new york or miami)

but for alabama or texas this works, trust me.

Mosh

Mexican's than have SNUCK up here can't read for the most part anyway, so it is a waste of time (just ask my guys). We have a packing plant in town and we do alot of safety signs for it. The manager of the plant laughs cause he told me 99% of his latino work-force can't read the signs we go to all the trouble to translate anyway. We use alot of symbols on stuff out there. There are also some tall dudes from Sudan that work out there. They speak Arabic, that looks like a bunch of swiggles to me.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Never supply translations.

We have Puerto Rican neighbors that are doctors and read and write Spanish as well as English and both fluently . We have a guy whose grandmother was a Spanish teacher [read, write and speak] down in Puerto Rico much like up here an English teacher would do.

Did some signs for the guy whose granny did it for a living for 40 years down there. I talked to her on the phone to confirm everything. Gave it to my doctor friends and they said I had several words spelled wrong and something turned around. I went back to El Granny and asked her what's up ?? She said that both ways are correct, however, her way was more correct while the other [by the doctors] was a different version.... like being overly polite..... and most Spanish speaking and reading people don't understand some of that extra fluff. It's over their heads because they don't understand the higher up dialects, it that's the correct term.

Kinda like:
coffee - - caufee
wash - - warsh
creek --crick
potato - - potahtoe

Whatever floats your boat, but when two higher educated people can't agree, why should I do the refereeing ?? Get them to supply it. The End.

signrios

Mexican's than have SNUCK up here can't read for the most part anyway, so it is a waste of time (just ask my guys). We have a packing plant in town and we do alot of safety signs for it. The manager of the plant laughs cause he told me 99% of his latino work-force can't read the signs we go to all the trouble to translate anyway. We use alot of symbols on stuff out there. There are also some tall dudes from Sudan that work out there. They speak Arabic, that looks like a bunch of swiggles to me.

Mexican's than have SNUCK up here can't read
\

you are correct, and you would like to keep them that way so you can exploit them forever you du.... @## never mind!!

those would be the indigenous people from the southern states, some of them don't speak spanish either,
i've worked side by side with them.

Bannerday

Why not just show your customer what you have before you run it?

Make them OK it. Easy for them and gets you off the hook.

akuarela

Spanish

Construction Area - Authorized Personnel Only - Do Not Enter"

&

"Area de Construcción - Personal Autorizado Solamente - No Entrar"
instead of No Entrar, stronger wording would be "Prohibida la Entrada"
(entrance forbidden/prohibited)

"Para ingresar a esta área, debe usar casco y gafas de seguridad"

In Spanish, if words that have accents are capitalized, they don't need the accent then.

GoodPeopleFlags

"Construction Area (area en construccion) -
Authorized Personnel Only(solamente personal autorizado) -
Do Not Enter" (no entrar)

&

( para entrar a esta area debe de usar casco y lentes de seguridad)

is not the exact translation, it cannot be done translating word by word.

there might be different translations depending on the area (new york or miami)

but for alabama or texas this works, trust me.

In the "Area en Construccion" one, what would be the difference in having "de" or "en"? Are there supposed to be the little marks above the "A" in "Area" and the "o" in "Construccion"?
Thanks!