• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need HELP! Wet application

Cenozoic

Hello.
Ok guys I need your help, please!!
Im doing wet application for the first time. Im using Oracal 651, wth R-Tape Clear Choice. Using Rapid Tac, Application Fluid. On a glass window from the inside (mirror image).
Im cleaning the window, over and over like it says. I spray with Rapid Tac fluid, apply the vinyl, position it. Squeegee, squeegee over and over. Let sit for 15 minutes and attempt to remove transfer tape. Vinyl keeps coming off with transfer tape.
What am I doing wrong? Please help!

PMG

R-Tape Clear Choice.
:Welcome: from St.Louis. if your going to do it wet.....you need paper R tape......the clear will not allow the wetting agent to dry out. You should get in the habit of doing it dry!!!!

gabagoo

I have found that clear premask is to aggresive and does not release well with wet applications

skyhigh

Wet can be a pain, even with the paper tape. Do it dry, and take a second pair of hands with you, if its that large.

Fitch

Glass is probably the smoothest substrates you will ever work with.

Basically the graphics are "aquaplaning" over the glass.

With glass, I always use a wet application to get the best - bubble free- finish. But what I do differently is to "hot" the fluid up with a decent mix of methylated spirits and water. The methylated spirits will dry the water out far quicker. Mix of 35% spirit to 65% water. Leave the drops of soap - handwash or dishwash - out UNTIL you find you need it to slip. Remember if you are doing reverse glass application over vinyl already applied, then you will need to then add more soap for slip for alignment purposes.

The colder the day or glass - the "hotter" the mix. Winter might be 50% metho to water, summer might be only 15% metho.

Hope this helps.

Cheers - G

PS, as glass is so smooth, you only need to mist the glass - not wet it. Mist the glass - not the graphics.

Cenozoic

I really prefer dry method, but im getting to many bubbles. I figured id try the wet application (which i hate). Im definetly going to try it with R Conform 4075.
How long should I let it sit before i remove transfer tape?

Thanks for all the quick replys. I mean really, thanks!!

LittleSnakey

glass and wet means long dry time.
if you do it wet on glass don't even think about taking off the application tape for an hour and if its cold just forget app fluid.

do it dry on glass period

showcase 66

Its been a while since I have done a wet application. Mainly because to me it makes to much of a mess. I dont think I have ever waited 15 minutes before pulling the tape. When I have done wet, I usually used a couple drops of soap and water mixed with alcohol. I think it is the same thing as Fitch said above. Not sure exactly what methylated spirits are but it sounds like the same thing.

1 problem you may have is that your solution maybe to strong. Try diluting it in a separate spray bottle.

GVP

You need Rapid-tac II for windows - with regular Rapid-tac, you'll be waitin' forever....(well, probably overnight)

Cenozoic

So I'm going to try this again with R Conform transfer tape, with Rapid Tac II. Can someone suggest time before I remove transfer tape?

PMG

after you put it on wet and squeegee it down real good,,,soak the r tape and let it sit for a few ,,the r tape will way way easier to pull off with lil effort.

SignosaurusRex

So I'm going to try this again with R Conform transfer tape, with Rapid Tac II. Can someone suggest time before I remove transfer tape?
You do not need Rapid Tac II. The original formula will work fine. DO NOT use clear choice masking for a wet application, use paper tape. Once you have squeegeed the living crap out of it and captured as much moisture as possible with a paper towel, let it set for a few minutes. Before attempting to peel the masking, spray the masking well with the Rapid Tac (or whatever wet solution you use) and gently rub that into the paper surface. You can let that set a few moments and then carefully peel the masking. The masking will release much easier.
Dry install is the best way to go but sometimes (rarely) situations dictate otherwise.

Bly

Apply wet in the afternoon.
Come back in the morning and remove the tape.
Or I suppose you could take a good book with you.

FrankieTeardrop

Hi, I started using this stuff called "window juice" for certain glass applications that are just too much to handle doing dry. It's worked pretty well & definitely better out in the sun. Also, the paper transfer tape is a must!