• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Need help with a calculation

Annette Asberg

My client wants his Ford Transit Connect wrapped. As you can see in the photo, the lower part of the body has a number of horizontal grooves. For the wrap to look good I believe I need to stretch the image in Illustrator before I rip and print. Can you give me some tips on how this best is done?
Is there a formula that can be used to calculate how much "stretch" that needs to be done? Any tips are welcome!

Attachments

• Ford.jpg
    Ford.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 260

C5 Service&Repair

you don't pre-stretch the image. measure and install as if the grooves aren't there. then stretch the vinyl into the grooves. make sure you use a true wrap vinyl and laminate that allow for the amount of stretch needed. IJ180 will stretch to 130% of its original size, and IJ480 will stretch to 150%. I don't believe those grooves are very deep so IJ180 will probably work. Just remember that you are only measuring across the groove. So if the groove is 3" across, then it can only measure just under 4" for ij180 or 4.5" for ij480, as you measure the actual surface as it dips in.

RPM

On a transit like that, those grooves are pretty minor and you will have no trouble sinking the vinyl into the recessed areas. I would do exactly what C5 stated above....

bannertime

For this job, do it like they said. For times that we've factored that in: use a measuring tape ribbon and measure the length or circumference, then measure again making sure the ribbon goes into the groves. Subtract the two and that's how much extra you'd need to add. Alternatively, you can apply a strip of removable vinyl, mark where you'd measure, pull it off and measure it flat.

myront

CorelDRAW is best
I never even thought of stretching an image to compensate for grooves. That's just ludicrous! Just roll with it as others suggested. It's not a dually truck wrap after all.

zspace

Premium Subscriber
Thanks, C5 for an honest response. I am getting so much **** from others that i am getting sick

I asked the same question once upon a time and I would bet money that all those giving you **** did too. There is nothing wrong with talking through potential issues before they become an expensive roll of trash.

burgmurk

There are times when this would be necessary, like a garage door or somesuch, but this is not one of those times.
When it is one of those times, what i do is take a known length of scrap vinyl, apply it, then measure the length on the corrugated area. that will give you the ratio of 'stretch' required.

Eric H

Go right over them. Is this the right model year? The new ones don’t look like this and haven’t for several years.