• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need help with a router stepper motor

Bikestand

I have posted this question in the Gerber forum and i am posting it in the CNC Routing forum, as well - to see if 'anyone' has any ideas? -

I have an older Gerber Edge router - a 48 and I am having a problem with the stepper motor. Due to the age of the router, I cannot get any information (from Gerber) regarding the actual stepper motor part - such as who manufactured it, where can I acquire one, how to self-repair it or who may be able to fix it.

Anyone have any thoughts or ideas - it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

andy

I have posted this question in the Gerber forum and i am posting it in the CNC Routing forum, as well - to see if 'anyone' has any ideas? -

I have an older Gerber Edge router - a 48 and I am having a problem with the stepper motor. Due to the age of the router, I cannot get any information (from Gerber) regarding the actual stepper motor part - such as who manufactured it, where can I acquire one, how to self-repair it or who may be able to fix it.

Thanks.

What kind of problems? How have you come to the conclusion that it's the motor which is faulty?

Rough running and missed steps can usually be traced to the driver card not the motor. Try swapping the X & Y driver cards... plug X motor into Y drive and Y motor in X drive... if the motor which was giving you problems starts to work properly it's for sure the driver card which is knackered.

Drive cards can be repaired depending on how complicated the PCB is... layered boards can be a pig.

If you can find a local CNC component supplier the easiest thing to do is take the motor to them so they can match it.... whatever stepper motor you do have it ain't a Gerber made piece of kit... no one who builds CNC machinery actually makes their own Servos or Steppers.

Red Ball

Seasoned Citizen

Thanks.

That's odd.

I have a Gerber D-200 and needed a part just last week.

Got two new drive screws just last year.

No problem getting parts for my unit. I think we bought it about '94.
Have you talked to Skip at GSP?

Tony Teveris

BikeStand,

If you can get me the info off the label on the motor I may be able to cross reference it with something else. The System 48 has not been serviced in 10+ years and I'm sure we no longer have parts - but stepper motors are stepper motors so I may be able to find something.

Let me know

Techman

but stepper motors are stepper motors so I may be able to find something.

That is why I asked how many wires come out of it. I have a load of steppers here of all sizes and shapes that will soon go to the recyclers.

Bikestand

Techman, sorry for the late reply. 6 wires come out of the stepper motor and go into a red plug. Two of those wires look like they had a short in the red plug. Does this mean anything? Do you think I need to find a totally new motor? Your help is appreciated.

Bikestand

Techman

let me drive over there and pick up that machine.. Yer not using it.. So let me fix it and run it.

Signman67

Techman, I think that I am now the proud owner of this same router with this stepper motor issue. Would you able to still be of help locating this part?

Techman

ebay has 6 wire steppers all over it..
Study up on 6 wire motors and you will learn some interesting details and very likely find a good substitute for your needs if not the actual part you need.