• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need help with application!

midnightmadman

I printed two 36" round logos for a customer. I am out of laminate so I just masked them and applied to windows.
They came out with TONS of large bubbles. I did it in direct sun also. I am wondering if I can get away without the laminate if I do it in the shade when it cools down in the evening? Or am I going to get the mess of bubbles no matter what if I don't laminate the prints?

Bigdawg

Just Me
no experience with the Prismjet...

but I've laid down 3651 unlaminated with transfer tape without excessive bubbles. Try doing it wet if you are having that much trouble - because when you reprint the ink is going to make that vinyl very pliable and that's what could be causing some of your problems...

midnightmadman

no experience with the Prismjet...

but I've laid down 3651 unlaminated with transfer tape without excessive bubbles. Try doing it wet if you are having that much trouble - because when you reprint the ink is going to make that vinyl very pliable and that's what could be causing some of your problems...

Could a big part of the problem be the DIRECT sun hitting it? Maybe the transfer tape was stretching with the vinyl while I was laying down?

Bigdawg

Just Me
I could be wrong... but I do a lot of installs in the sun... after all I am in Sunny Florida :smile:

but the transfer tape stretching hasn't ever been a problem for me... how long are you waiting after printing to transfer tape? Not that I'm sure it's the problem... and actually don't think it is.

I hate to say it but it sounds like a technique problem. Good sharp squeegee? Even force on the squeegee? Good angle for maximum pressure?

When bubble invade it's usually because of that and not so much the material...

midnightmadman

I could be wrong... but I do a lot of installs in the sun... after all I am in Sunny Florida :smile:

but the transfer tape stretching hasn't ever been a problem for me... how long are you waiting after printing to transfer tape? Not that I'm sure it's the problem... and actually don't think it is.

I hate to say it but it sounds like a technique problem. Good sharp squeegee? Even force on the squeegee? Good angle for maximum pressure?

When bubble invade it's usually because of that and not so much the material...

Thinking back. The glass was flexing a lot. I was trying not to use too much pressure but it was still flexing. I wonder if all of these things combined are what caused the large bubbles. I've never had a problem like this before myself. I had literally 30+ 1/2" - 1" bubbles!

MikePro

don't need laminate to apply something without bubbles... laminate just gives you the ability to be more "rough" with it during application.

transfer tape and wet application should do the trick just fine.

Mosh

Wow, if $7 of laminate is going to bust you then you need to raise your
prices. Sorry, also it you can't apply that small of decal with no bubbles you
might want to consider getting some professioal help. Pretty basic stuff here.