• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

need info on ink for plasic like screen printing on pens

tomence

hi there everyone i am trying to screen print pens and would like to know what kind of ink should i use and what kind of thinners or retarder i need
thanks

killergraphics

If you have time and place for them to dry, you can just use one shot.
Nazdar makes an all purpose ink the 9700 line that will work. And will work on almost anything. But drys in the screen fast if left.
You will have to use a high mesh screen.
There are more solvant ones on the market, but these two are the easiest.

Unless this is only a few just sub then out to someone like Gold Bond. I think you can get like 100 or 250 for a mim order.

Last edited:

royster13

Kind of insane to print your own pens......You can usually buy them already printed for a lower cost than a few blanks.....But most pen printer usually use a UV curable ink....

PS.....Yes you can pad print pens, however, the imprint area is much narrower.....

tomence

i do lot of screen printing on textile but i had a customer that want me to do pens for them and i would like to try in that field too i know i can sub them out but i want to do them so thats why i asked what kind of ink i need plus i am gonna use screen printing press i also have pad printer which i never used just sits there but these image is little bigger than what i can do with the pad printer so i am stuck with screen printing them.

killergraphics

You can get different size and shape tits for the pad printer.
The ink and mixture is a nightmare to make right.
I used to do pad printing...but never again...to only do it every now and then is way more frustration than what I want in my life.
And yes mine is sitting in the corner also, I use it for a door stop.:banghead:

Tony McD

Glad it's not just me....
Had a pad printer at my old job, tried to use it 8 or 10 times. Never
ever got it to print right. I know it was getting the ink just right, or
something I was just doing wrong.
But I'm pretty sure it's still settin' in a corner somewhere too.

Maybe we could combine them all into one, and make a great big pain in the
butt pad printer.

briankb

Premium Subscriber
are you going to make a jig and align dozens of pens to be printed in one pass?

but I agree with other replies about buying them already printed vs blanks.

tomence

so we figured everyone's pad printer stays in the corner so what we can do is sell them for scrap metal maybe we can get more than selling as it is. I was just trying to get an idea what kind of ink i needed since i have the print a round press i just wanted to give it a try. maybe i will get some nazdar 9700 ink and try it.

Mosh

Sub them out unless you are in China, cause you are never going to beat that price. Been there, tryed that!!! ♠

tomence

ok if i sub them out who is the best supplier with good prices. not trying to be the cheapest but would like good quality prints.

tomence

so what kind of emulsion should i get for the 9700 nazdar inks
since that is what i am gonna get now i am trying to figure out what emulsion will work best.