• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need info on odd shaped cabinet sign

UFB Fabrication

This is a lighted cabinet and should be made as such.. Use .080 back, cut to shape, weld on .063 returns, rout edges smooth, prime and paint. Lexan face is OK but I wouldn't use jewelite on this size piece. You need to fabricate aluminum retainers to the shape of the cabinet. Make it min 7" deep and use fluorescent lamps mounted close to the back. Sounds like a lot of work but is actually cheaper than a neon lit channel letter can and will last forever. Lamps not so long but they are easy to replace.

GG has it right. Trimcap is wrong for this application. The face is to large. Acrylic expands and contract 1 inch from freezing to 100 degrees for every 14 feet. I am not sure of the exact numbers for polycarbonate. Make sure the sign is UL Listed or CL in the case of Canada. If you dont already build or have the equipment this would not be a profitable experiment. Buy it from a decent wholesale shop. Not sure what is required as far as permit and electric licenses in your part of the world either so check on requirements first.

signmeup

So this face will expand and contract a total of 3/8"? What is the coefficient of expansion for the .08 aluminum the face is mounted on?

Shovelhead

GG has it right. Trimcap is wrong for this application. The face is to large. Acrylic expands and contract 1 inch from freezing to 100 degrees for every 14 feet. I am not sure of the exact numbers for polycarbonate. Make sure the sign is UL Listed or CL in the case of Canada. If you dont already build or have the equipment this would not be a profitable experiment. Buy it from a decent wholesale shop. Not sure what is required as far as permit and electric licenses in your part of the world either so check on requirements first.

Please....are we attempting to meet NASA specs?
Give me a break please!
2" trimcap.

Sign Prophet

This is definatly a canidate for a retainered channelized cabinet sign. Trim-cap does not adhere well to Lexan, PERIOD! They do have special adhesives to do it, but This a pretty large sign face to trust to trim-cap.
This sign would be a slam-dunk in my neck of the woods and is really not complicated at all.

Build it as a channelized cabinet with a return on it, lay it on the table upside down, use little squares of double sided tape to hold plex to back of sign, rout plastic while it is attached to back, apply graphics, install onto cabinet with retainers. I would use CW HO lamps and an electronic ballast (Lighting Components EESB-832-16l). Install sign and get PAID.

Simple, Simple. My 2cents

Shovelhead

This is definatly a canidate for a retainered channelized cabinet sign. Trim-cap does not adhere well to Lexan, PERIOD! They do have special adhesives to do it, but This a pretty large sign face to trust to trim-cap.
This sign would be a slam-dunk in my neck of the woods and is really not complicated at all.

Build it as a channelized cabinet with a return on it, lay it on the table upside down, use little squares of double sided tape to hold plex to back of sign, rout plastic while it is attached to back, apply graphics, install onto cabinet with retainers. I would use CW HO lamps and an electronic ballast (Lighting Components EESB-832-16l). Install sign and get PAID.

Simple, Simple. My 2cents

Don't believe the hype!
We do it every day.

Sign Prophet

Don't believe the hype!
We do it every day.

Until one day you have a big heavy sign face fail and kill someone! I have been fabricating and installing electrical signage for over 13 years and I have seen sign faces fail because of attitudes like this.

Do whatever you want, I was only giving you my opinon.

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
If it were me, I would do a rout out face (maybe even with push thru) and halo and face illuminate that sucka!

Shovelhead

Until one day you have a big heavy sign face fail and kill someone! I have been fabricating and installing electrical signage for over 13 years and I have seen sign faces fail because of attitudes like this.

Do whatever you want, I was only giving you my opinon.

Well I'm not going to argue or disrespect your time in the business...
My company has been around since 1938...no deaths yet.

:wine-smi:

signmeup

If it were me, I would do a rout out face (maybe even with push thru) and halo and face illuminate that sucka!
Appreciate the post but..... umm..... huh?? What does all that mean Rick? Is there a glossary somewhere for all this lingo?

Sign Prophet

I thank you for your post but I don't know what a retainered channelized cabinet is. I don't suppose you would have a picture of one?

Picture a big channel 5' channel letter with retainers on it. Let me see if I can dig up a photo of one or a drawing of one.

Sign Prophet

Well I'm not going to argue or disrespect your time in the business...
My company has been around since 1938...no deaths yet.

:wine-smi:

We will just have to agree to disagree. Time in business has nothing to do with it.. My intention was not to get into a pissing match, but to offer my opinion.