• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

need input for this frosted glass vinyl install

tiredcreations

door.jpg

The customer wants to turn this into a sort of privacy glass. He wants it completely solid frosted glass vinyl with just a small logo cut out close to the top. I've been reading wet is the way to go but I'm not sure how to approach the installation.

I tried once already. I left a 1/16" gap all the way around so I could center it easily but before I started applying it he told me the gap was not acceptable (even though I told him I was going to do it this way).

My concern is if I make it a bit oversize and try trimming it later I will have wrinkles around the edges.

Any tips on how to go about this?

I'm using Oracal 8510 silver etched film

Letterbox Mike

Wet application for sure, and soak the living daylights out of it. If the customer wants it right to the edge you're going to have to cut the vinyl slightly oversized and trim on site, it's tricky to do with frosted because any creases stay in the material, but it's doable. If you're uncomfortable with that, what you did the first time, or sizing it exactly to the dimensions of the glass is the way to go so you can just drop it right in place. I'd do it this way, it's a lot easier, assuming the glass is square and you can accurately cut it to the right size.

Moze

Precision Sign Services
Apply wet, butt the top and left factory edge of the vinyl against the frame (assuming its square). Squeegee virtually the whole thing. Slit the bottom right corner so you can work with each edge separately. Squeegee the rest and trim the right and bottom edge.

tiredcreations

Thanks for the replies. Not sure how to hinge this since the glass is recessed, unless I cut a few inches of backer off the top. Is that the way to do it or do I peel the backer from the whole piece and just go for it?

SlightlyChilled

I did one like this. I needed 2 people. "I'm a small guy next to a 7 foot door" one to spray and spray other to install. line up the top and go to town. Now like the others say the window/door might not be true leave a little over lap then trim.

JTBoh

I sell signage and signage accessories.
if you can market it, get MacTac B-free frosted.

Goes on like a dream, has air release, is ecosol, sol, and uv printable, and has 5-7 year outdoor durability.

dont apply wet - i was literally squeegeeing 1-2' at a time with center hinge and filling in the blanks. If you crease it, it does show, BUT can be removed with a little heat.

Good material, fellers has it.

Moze

Precision Sign Services
No transfer paper.

Cut the vinyl so it's a couple of inches longer than the glass height.

Place two piece of masking tape on the bottom (hand-cut edge) of the vinyl.

Flip the vinyl over so you're looking at the backing.

Place two pieces of masking tape on the pieces you just put on (so it will be sticky side to sticky side).

Hang the vinyl on the door or wall so the backing is facing you.

Spray down the glass completely.

Remove the backing and spray down the vinyl completely. The tape is acting as your second pair of hands holding the vinyl on the wall.

Untape from the wall and carefully rotate the vinyl so the end with the tape is at the bottom.

Butt the factory cut edges and proceed as noted in my first post.

petepaz

i use the mactac bubble free frost with good results and install dry. as far as the wrinkles they can be bad so go slow and becareful. i have been able to remove wrinkles with a little heat from the torch. the way i do it is start with one true edge like already mentioned and go through the middle out to the edges. don't squeegee all the way in to the corner/edge do that at the end and do one edge at a time. as you finalize each edge trim it before you move on to the next, makes it easier to work with.

J Hill Designs

personally I would tape the whole thing, have 2 people, have it ~1/4" oversize, 1 person holds it in the air, the other takes all backing off, soak soak soak the glass and the vinyl, set in place, squeegee from center out/up, once all down, soak transfer paper, pull off, trim to edge. I did 8 3'x4' windows 10'+ in the air off of ladders like this - wasn't too bad

Baz

I haven't used MacTac's new film with air release but i do use their frosted brand quite allot. I would soak up the window really well and apply over that. If you have a graphic that is cut out of the vinyl then premask that and once you are finished .. soak up the premask good also before attempting to remove it.

Don't worry about wrinkles!

A heat gun makes them disapear really easy.:thumb:

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Did you try removing the window frame portions so you can get back there ?? If so, then use whatever method you want, but at least you'll go up to the edge perfectly.

Bigdawg

Just Me
if you can market it, get MacTac B-free frosted.

Goes on like a dream, has air release, is ecosol, sol, and uv printable, and has 5-7 year outdoor durability.

dont apply wet - i was literally squeegeeing 1-2' at a time with center hinge and filling in the blanks. If you crease it, it does show, BUT can be removed with a little heat.

Good material, fellers has it.

This stuff is AWESOME! We love it - my installer has threatened my life if I go back to using any other frosted vinyl...

tiredcreations

Thanks for all the ideas. Gino, I thought about removing the door to make it easier but not the glass frame. That might be an option.

tiredcreations

install successful!

Thank you all for the tips. Second time was a charm.

I masked just the logo, soaked the glass and vinyl, butted the top & left edge, and trimmed the remaining on the bottom and right. The Oracal seemed to be pretty good stuff, I had no problems with wrinkles whatsoever.

Customer is happy, I'm happy :thumb:

Hard to get decent pics of it but here's a couple
IMAG0409.jpg IMAG0413.jpg