• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Some Advice

signmeup

If you're doing strictly design - macs are great. PC's are fine too, but macs are superior with design.

Any actual print work that requires ripping. The PC is better for this.
How? How is a Mac superior with design? How is a PC better for ripping? I just don't see how this is possible. (running the same software)

signmeup

I am a big fan of Macs, but I cannot agree with the statement that you design better on a Mac. The hardware is just a tool. The design is only as good as the fool at the keyboard. Not how much you spend or what you spend it on

I prefer Mac because of OSX software more than anything. Not Adobe software, but the OS itself. Adobe software is the same on either platform. You cannot tell what OS a file was created on. The pretty hardware and cases of the laptops and desktops and the integration of the software and sum of the parts are awesome but that is less of a concern. Even when Macs were beige boxes, I still preferred it for the software inside
That sounds reasonable. You like the Mac OS better and Apple has some nice software. I can figure that out. I just flat don't see how the same software on either OS wouldn't produce the exact same results.

WildWestDesigns

This is why this conversation is always just going to go round and round. Both platforms really will work and work well, it is just a matter of preference. Now it might be only preference that slants you a certain way or there might be something behind that preference that backs up. Either way that may or may not apply to the next person, just depends on their individual goals as to what they are wanting in their computer.

This is just like a gas versus diesel truck thread and which one is better. They both have come a long way and it really depends on the individual needs of the person getting the tool, be it a computer or truck.

Si Allen

Why do you even bother to argue with Mac people?

They are Cultists!

They face Silicon Valley and pray to Steve Jobs at least 3 times a day!

:banghead::banghead::banghead:

WildWestDesigns

That sounds reasonable. You like the Mac OS better and Mac has some nice bundled software. I can figure that out. I just flat don't don't see how the same software on either OS wouldn't produce the exact same results.

The only reason that it wouldn't has to do with the individual components of the computer. Even then that might only affect that one computer, send that same file to another computer with better resources and you might get a different result.

About the only difference that I would be able to tell between my PC and a Mac with the exact same specs would be the price. I imagine the output quality of an Ai or PSD file would be the same, which would only be as good as what I can produce (or anyone else that used the same computers).

SignBurst PCs

I am a big fan of Macs, but I cannot agree with the statement that you design better on a Mac. The hardware is just a tool. The design is only as good as the fool at the keyboard. Not how much you spend or what you spend it on

I prefer Mac because of OSX software more than anything. Not Adobe software, but the OS itself. Adobe software is the same on either platform. You cannot tell what OS a file was created on. The pretty hardware and cases of the laptops and desktops and the integration of the software and sum of the parts are awesome but that is less of a concern. Even when Macs were beige boxes, I still preferred it for the software inside

Now that is a reasonable argument. I can relate that to paying a few thousand $$$ more for a better make or model of car. Yes, it gets you to the same place in the same amount of time, but I feel better getting there. This is the only reasonable arguement for a Mac that I have heard so far (and I have heard a lot of mythical arguments). Would I ever criticize a person for buying a Mercedes over a Lexus? Not unless price or value was their MAIN consideration. If they can afford the Mercedes and they like it more, then it is an excellent choice.

Last edited:

SignBurst PCs

So if I design a logo in Illustrator on my PC and send it to you and you open it in Illustrator on your Mac it will be exactly the same? (assuming same version of Illustrator) But according to some, It would be a better design if I drew it on a Mac?

Exactly.

HulkSmash

As someone about to upgrade his PC, I'm really curious to know about how mac is more superior when it comes to design. Is it faster? smoother? And the PC being better for ripping... why is that? aren't they both intel and both just crunch numbers at the end of the day?

To be honest I have NO IDEA why it's better. i'm not going to sit here and pretend i know why one is better than the other. This is strictly my opinion. I've used both a mac and PC for designing. Macs just seem smoother and more streamline. Also loading seems to be a bit faster.

I'm not bias at all. My shop has 8 PC's 0 MACS. Not because they're better, i just prefer to use them for rips and design. Better for multi processes.

choucove

Simply put, it is impossible to say that a PC is better for design work than a Mac just as it is impossible to say a Mac is better than a PC at design work. Given the same hardware, the only difference is the operating systems, which also function nearly identical in performance.

In the end, it all comes to personal preference, which has been stated before. There is no wrong or right answer, there is only which you prefer and the reasoning behind it. The reason that I approach Macs and PCs in comparison the way I do is because of the facts behind the differences and similarities in these computers. Really, the only grudge that I can honestly say I hold against Macintosh computers is that they intentionally try to heighten the false rumors and false sense of superiority that they have over PCs when, obviously in fact, is only just a lie. To me, Apple is in a way directly lying to their customers to increase the "awe factor" of their computers to justify their price.

Again, just my opinion. I don't feel that anyone can truly make a justified factual claim that one computer is better than the other system in terms of design (with all hardware and software being equal of course) without said justification being based purely on their preference on use of one operating system over the other. I want to thank Vector Doctor for explaining out reasoning behind preferring one system over another, as it makes sense. Macs do come with a lot of included software that today Windows is still trying to add and integrate with their systems.

WildWestDesigns

The file will be exactly the same. Now if you are using the walmart special monitor, or the monitor hasn't been properly calibrated colors may appear on your screen differently then they did on the original computer, but that doesn't mean the the file is any better or worse.

So if I design a logo in Illustrator on my PC and send it to you and you open it in Illustrator on your Mac it will be exactly the same? (assuming same version of Illustrator) But according to some, It would be a better design if I drew it on a Mac?

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator

Yeah you read part of what I started. The file does NOT change from one machine to another

signmeup

As near as I can tell the operating system is not part of the software I use to design. It merely allows the software to operate. It also gives me some place to save the files and find them again later.

Windows 7 has absolutely no influence on my design process. I find it hard to believe that people think simply purchasing a machine with a different OS will suddenly give them superior design ability within the same piece of software.

I have not yet been able to design stuff so fast that I am exceeding the ability of my computer to make ones and zeros so if Macs are faster for designing (?) than identically spec'ed PC's it is of no consequence to me at this point.

Locals Find!

At the end of the day as we are all attempting to turn profits as businesses. Really the choice between pc and mac comes down to how much work your going to have to do to recoup your investment on either the mac or the pc.

Everyone here has stated that macs are as good as pc's yet cost more. So all anyone needs to ask themselves is do I want to work 2-3 times harder to pay off the purchase of the Mac vs. the PC.

As a business owner, I am interested in maximizing my profits. So a PC is going to be my best choice every time. I can recoup my investment in the least amount of time. PERIOD. Everything else is just personal preference. Which at the end of the day means nothing to a business trying to turn a profit.

Letterbox Mike

If it helps, we were considering switching our shop over to MACs for the design computers and leaving the basic office computers and the RIP computer PCs. Then we tried Windows 7 64-bit and instead just upgraded the design computers and installed Win7-64 on everything. It's as smooth as can be, Windows 7 is a significant improvement over XP, it's almost not like an upgrade, it's more comparable to moving from Windows XP to Mac OS.

This is kind of like arguing over whether Dewalt or Makita or Milwaukee drills are better. They're all the same, they turn drill bits and screws when you boil it down, so buy what you know how to use and are comfortable with.

At the end of the day, there's nothing you can do on a Mac you can't do on a PC and vice versa. If I were you, I'd upgrade your current machines to Windows 7 64 bit, add some RAM, and be done with it. That way you're not buying all new software and not facing a steep and expensive learning curve.

SignManiac

I read somewhere that all Mac's come with some kind of magic in them. Also you don't have to be a designer with a mac. If you use one, you become a graphic artist / designer automatically. That's all there is to it.

Christian @ 2CT Media

We Love our 16GB SandyBridge WIN7 64bit PC, We looked at Macs when we were going to go Caldera but the price for what you got didn't compare to what we could build in a PC. So we built our computer to be a Hackintosh but decided to Stick with Windows and go Onyx, we are very happy with our choice.

mark in tx

My questions are, first what do you think? This is not just another bs Mac or PC poll. I am more concerned about how it will integrate with my RIP PC. Which is my 32bit XP Machine. Will the designs of the 64bit monster be "dumbed" down by my 32bit XP RIP PC with the 32bit Flexi?

Should I just bite thr bullet and switch the whole shop to mac? Switch the whole shop to 64bit PC's all running XP? I have to make a move quickly cause my designers patience is wearing thin with this machine crashing and taking FOREVER to save and rasterize!!

Please help and thanks!!

Your RIP won't care if the file came from a Mac or PC.

Will your RIP benefit from from a faster, newer computer?
Yes, put your money there.

Will your designer benefit from a faster newer computer?
Yes, put your money there.

Mac or PC?
Really does not matter. It's all a tax deduction anyway, right?

My one suggestion would be to get all your saved files onto a NAS (network attached storage), frees up the local computer hard drive, and you can put an extra physical hard drive into the computer to use as the swap disk for Photoshop.
That will make an incredible difference.

Good luck!

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
I read somewhere that all Mac's come with some kind of magic in them. Also you don't have to be a designer with a mac. If you use one, you become a graphic artist / designer automatically. That's all there is to it.

Shh don't tell anyone. Nothing ugly will come out of a Mac. I designed something the other day that was not up to snuff and it would not let me save it to the Hard drive

All my friends think I am awesome and rich though