• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Some Advice

Brands Imaging

ya know...

the only variable here that people are not talking about is the size and complexity of files...

To address the OP's question... why not use the same OS to design as you do to print? That way you have one less variable to worry about. And, unless I'm waaaaay off here, you don't design with the OS so you should see zero difference between the Mac and PC running your design software. I'd pick either Mac or PC for all phases of the process

that to me is insane...my computer wouldn't last 3 months if I was designing AND printing from it. This is also why I aimed this post at actual DESIGNERS, maybe I should have also put it to people who do STRICLY large format or ONLY vehicle wraps...

We Just sent a file away for a 22' x 75' banner (thanks mike)..that file was gigantic. Having this thread filled with people maybe 3x5 signs and a ton of cut vinyl is ridiculous (if thats the case)

SignBurst has awsome PC's and I'm sure they kick ass...but If I'm buying a PC I'm just gonna build it. To upgrade my current system with windows 7 and load it with ram isnt a horrible idea, its just not the way I do things...i need a new machine and I'm gonna hook it up.

This is my last chance for PC - if this machine that i build doesnt kick ass for at least a year then I'm switching...

SignBurst PCs

The size of files doesn't really matter. Identical hardware in both a Mac and PC are going to perform very close to the same. If you have larger design files, you are going to need a very well built Mac or a very well built PC. Our customers are generally dealing with LARGE files, in some cases, 10GB+. I really do understand what you are dealing with and I have nothing invested in your decision, I have no reason to steer you wrong.

signmeup

ya know...

the only variable here that people are not talking about is the size and complexity of files...

that to me is insane...my computer wouldn't last 3 months if I was designing AND printing from it. This is also why I aimed this post at actual DESIGNERS, maybe I should have also put it to people who do STRICLY large format or ONLY vehicle wraps...

We Just sent a file away for a 22' x 75' banner (thanks mike)..that file was gigantic. Having this thread filled with people maybe 3x5 signs and a ton of cut vinyl is ridiculous (if thats the case)

SignBurst has awsome PC's and I'm sure they kick ass...but If I'm buying a PC I'm just gonna build it. To upgrade my current system with windows 7 and load it with ram isnt a horrible idea, its just not the way I do things...i need a new machine and I'm gonna hook it up.

This is my last chance for PC - if this machine that i build doesnt kick ass for at least a year then I'm switching...
I did not suggest you use the same machine for designing and printing. I suggested you use the same operating system through out your shop.

If you want specific responses from specific people you need to post specific questions. I don't know why you would think sign makers wouldn't respond to a thread on a sign making forum. Do they not have large format printing forums where you could ask "real designers" about "real printing"? :rolleyes:

signmeup

The size of files doesn't really matter. Identical hardware in both a Mac and PC are going to perform very close to the same. If you have larger design files, you are going to need a very well built Mac or a very well built PC. Our customers are generally dealing with LARGE files, in some cases, 10GB+. I really do understand what you are dealing with and I have nothing invested in your decision, I have no reason to steer you wrong.
+1

Christian @ 2CT Media

We have laid out 600dpi Full Size 53' Trailers with ours and it purrs along with out much hesitation... Is it smart to do, No but we can do it. You can also do this on a Mac but be prepared to pay 2-4times more for the same amount of memory.

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
We have laid out 600dpi Full Size 53' Trailers with ours and it purrs along with out much hesitation... Is it smart to do, No but we can do it. You can also do this on a Mac but be prepared to pay 2-4times more for the same amount of memory.

Only if you buy it from Apple directly. I get all my memory from crucial, kingston, or ramjet

Brands Imaging

thats the kind of proof i like to hear!!!!!!

Why on earth would you even need a full size 53' a 600 dpi? No even sure if that is even possible to open or process on any computer. That is an 80.5 gig file.

Only about 550 dpi to much for a 53'

Brands Imaging

I highly doubt I will decode your irrational thoughts any time soon. Good luck with your quest. (How do you keep your balance with such a swelled head?)

dude, no swelled head here..
I posted a computer question that related to powerful machines for large files. If you're a sign guy running a 15" plotter then there is no need for a response that person.

Christian @ 2CT Media

Why on earth would you even need a full size 53' a 600 dpi? No even sure if that is even possible to open or process on any computer. That is an 80.5 gig file.

Only about 550 dpi to much for a 53'

We did this for 2 High Profile clients that requested really high quality prints for their trailers. Yes you can open it and yes it works fine. We have 16gb of DDR3, 2600K SandyBridge, OCZ RevoDrive2 for OS, and a Vertex3 for scratch.

2972renfro

We did this for 2 High Profile clients that requested really high quality prints for their trailers. Yes you can open it and yes it works fine. We have 16gb of DDR3, 2600K SandyBridge, OCZ RevoDrive2 for OS, and a Vertex3 for scratch.

Yeah but like anything else, what does the customer know? That is overkill. I bet had you printed these with 200dpi images they would have never noticed the difference. Many images in magazines are 266-300lpi

Unless the art has 12point type the files do not need to be 600dpi when the final is this large. Wasted processing time

WildWestDesigns

dude, no swelled head here..
I posted a computer question that related to powerful machines for large files. If you're a sign guy running a 15" plotter then there is no need for a response that person.

Not exactly true. I'm sure there are guys here that just do the design work and don't run any printing equipment, no solvent, sublimation, laser or any other printer type that would still have a call for powerful design machines.

I also wouldn't knock someone that just has a 15" plotter either. That doesn't mean that they aren't dealing with large files either. They might outsource the bigger printing stuff on that end and only deal with things that their plotter can handle for a variety of reasons.

I don't deal with solvent printing for wraps etc and yet I deal in files that are in the GB range.

2972renfro

As others have said, if you want THE fastest without spending too much just load up on high quality components, build it (a PC, not a Mac) yourself. Most of the high end parts will have uncommon names. Not HP's, Dells, or Toshiba off the shelf units

Letterbox Mike

BrandsImaging, we work with very large files all day every day. Right now I have 4 files for wall murals open, all 100ppi at full size, the smallest wall is 9'x21', the largest is 12'x93'. No issues here on my Windows 7 machine whatsoever.

Got a file a few weeks ago for a window perf job, PSD file, full-size at about 30'x45', built at 300ppi and with a good solid 200 layers in it. I had to move things and adjust things for the layout of the windows, no problem.

Never had a problem opening, manipulating, or saving files for busses, RVs or 53' trailers.

What people are saying, is if you have the hardware in place, either OS is good and is up to the task. If you have okay hardware and an outdated OS, don't even try. IMO, Windows 7 64 bit is up to the task of anything you throw at it, given you have the proper hardware to run it. If you think you're going to go put together a $1000 PC and have it go head-to-head with an $8k Mac, don't. But you can build a PC that will absolutely go head to head with that $8k Mac no problem. Hardware is hardware, apples are apples. None of us here are working with massive 3D animation or video files, it's all raster or vector art, any decent well-built and well optimized machine is going to handle those files with ease, regardless of the platform.

You already have PCs, PC knowledge, and PC software. Stick with PCs, save the money.

choucove

*huge thumbs up for system configuration*

Rydaddy

We have Mac and PC in our shop. I wish it was an all PC shop but 2 of my guys are big on Macs and out of respect for them they have Macs. I think they both have their place. Once again, I was impressed at some of the posts in this thread...