• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

need some help on removing double sided tape from laminated vinyl

gabagoo

To make a long story short...the customer screwed up and now I have to save his azz so I can continue to do work for this very large customer.

I have petG paper holders on an info board and I need to take them off as the double sided tape is to wide and making slipping paper in to hard. I know I can take the holders off but the double sided foam tape leaves about half of itself in place. I have laminate on the prints so I was thinking maybe spraying WD40 on to loosen the paper and adhesive for easier removal. Any other ideas if that does not work? I don't want to damge the laminate as I have to put down thinner pieces of tape to fix this nightmare.

jfiscus

Rap Master
Exactly what type of tape? VHB? VHB you can grab an edge and pull it along perpendicular/in line with the tape and it'll all pull right off.

gabagoo

Not vhb...just your stanfdard 1/8" thick foam tape. The fishing line is a good idea thanks. If I have to use rapid remover..so be it.... That stuff sickens me....we call it agent orange around here... uggg

anotherdog

yes you have to cut the foam first. I had tried to ease the whole thing off by wedging a squeegee and it pulled and stretched the adhesive underneath. One you chut the foam it's easy...ish.

Billct2

So the area you're worried about damaging is actually covered by the literature holders? Are they clear and that's why it's an issue? Even if they are, there is usually literature in them right? If the background is damaged I would consider some type of overlay which will be behind this literature holder.

gabagoo

So the area you're worried about damaging is actually covered by the literature holders? Are they clear and that's why it's an issue? Even if they are, there is usually literature in them right? If the background is damaged I would consider some type of overlay which will be behind this literature holder.

I won't damage the laminated print...I will not use anything too harsh, but I have to be careful as there are other literature holders on the board that are fine (different size), and I dont want goop and debris to get trapped between the board and the pet G. Oh the horror:banghead:....as you say if there is damage I can put down a square of white to hide it...but it will be obvious.

I made these literature holders using a thick petg and 1/2" double sided tape 1/8" thick which keeps the petg far enough away to slip the papers in....the customer told me the size, I added the extra to account for the tape, but being busy and rushed I never actually tested to see if a sheet would fit...I actually never even considered it as it could have been for any size I suppose....and if the customer asks for a specific size then who am I to question. Normally i would have said to bad so sad, but I do a lot of work for these guys and other divisions are very keen on this board and will proabably be ordering them, so I look at it as a prototype error. I figure the fix will cost me under $400.00 in material and labour ( 4 boards)....but it kills me that they had the original for 2 weeks and only today after the other 3 are completed do I get a call.... apparently the guy there was trimming the sheets to fit and did not think it was an issue to mention...... i gonna find out where he parks his car and key it!!!! :omg:

d fleming

Adhesive remover. I have even used it to remove spray paint from laminated prints. Sac up and get over the smell.:Big Laugh

gabagoo

Foam stick sucks to get off. It'll eventually clean up, but it's a pain in the bottom.

i thougfht it would be a headache but my steamer made quick work of removing the foam and agent orange did the rest....took less than an hour to do 27 pieces... I happy again. lol

ProWraps

saturate it with rapid remover. it will take it right off an leave no residue.

we buy it by the 5 gal carboy. worth every penny.