• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need some help... serious help.

Tobey

First, I'm using an Artsign AS-720 and Artcut 6 (which came with it). There's not a whole lot of instructions on either plotter, so I'm kind of learning as I go.

Here's the main problem - I'm trying to cut some legal numbers that we put on busses for one of the guys my dad does business with. The problem is the blade depth is not very good and every adjustment I make doesn't seem to help.

I've tried everything I could think of short of throwing the thing out the window and I'm just frustrated and want to make sure I do this job right. Any tips you guys could throw my way on how to make this job easier on myself would be much appreciated.

gvgraphics

Have you tried to adjust the blade its self in the holder? You may have it to far in, which would explain why the adjustments are not working.

grafxxx

is the knife all the way in the holder? and how do you adjust the pressure on the machine? what pressure are you cutting it at and what type of vinyl are you using?

Techman

Sorry my friend. You bought a chinese cutter,, and you didnt pay a lot,,

So you get to figure out how to run it pretty much on your own.. The problem is,, No one has experience with this machine or the software. So few know what to do to help you trouble shoot the problem.

Those companies sell those machine cheap with little documentation and transfer their costs to you and expect every one else to give you technical support.

So, my best idea is to find your supplier and make them give you a hand.

iSign

is the teflon strip that lines up under the blades travel path in undamaged condition? This cheap replacable strip need to never get cut. If it gets cut, it needs to get replaced, usually under $20

Tobey

is the teflon strip that lines up under the blades travel path in undamaged condition? This cheap replacable strip need to never get cut. If it gets cut, it needs to get replaced, usually under $20

Yeah, haven't run into a problem with the teflon strip at all. I've got the depth to a point I think is workable, but I think it also might be an issue with the vinyl we're using (which is Avery, but that's all the local supplier carries and I don't know what grade it is right offhand) as well.

Tobey

Sorry my friend. You bought a chinese cutter,, and you didnt pay a lot,,

So you get to figure out how to run it pretty much on your own.. The problem is,, No one has experience with this machine or the software. So few know what to do to help you trouble shoot the problem.

Those companies sell those machine cheap with little documentation and transfer their costs to you and expect every one else to give you technical support.

So, my best idea is to find your supplier and make them give you a hand.

Yeah, the supplier's a dead end. I've already gone that route.

Plus, I didn't have a say in the plotter purchase, and unfortunately I'm the one stuck running the thing.

Tobey

is the knife all the way in the holder? and how do you adjust the pressure on the machine? what pressure are you cutting it at and what type of vinyl are you using?

I'm using some Avery vinyl my dad bought - it's black reflective, but I don't know the grade. The knife is all the way in the holder, and I've adjusted the pressure through the display. The guy who we got the vinyl from said we needed to use at minimum 180g up to 250g but I don't know how accurate that is.

The main problem I'm running into is every support option I've tried to find is a dead end, and I figured a place like this with people who actually do this for a living would be helpful.

Tobey

Have you tried to adjust the blade its self in the holder? You may have it to far in, which would explain why the adjustments are not working.

Yeah, I adjusted it back, and it seems to be working fairly well. I think again that part of the problem may be this Avery vinyl my dad bought, which is a bit hard to deal with because of the size of the letters we're doing (about 2-3 inches).

iSign

one thing I can tell you... the blade depth is practicall a microscopic thing,,, not really, but it's something that is so slight, you don't see much more blade sticking out then the thickness of a business card stock.

The pressure is the adjustment you will do regularly, from one vinyl to the next, the actual depth you almost never change until you replace the blade.

Tobey

one thing I can tell you... the blade depth is practicall a microscopic thing,,, not really, but it's something that is so slight, you don't see much more blade sticking out then the thickness of a business card stock.

The pressure is the adjustment you will do regularly, from one vinyl to the next, the actual depth you almost never change until you replace the blade.

Thanks for that. I think with all the adjustments we've had to make my dad's about to send these two back and get a REAL cutter. He's about as fed up as I am.

mark in tx

You said you are cutting reflective, most reflective material is very thick compared to regular color vinyl.
It is possible your machine will not generate enough pressure (downforce) on the needle with its mechanical settings.

Graphtec makes cutters that are well worth the money.

Jackpine

You said you are cutting reflective, most reflective material is very thick compared to regular color vinyl.
It is possible your machine will not generate enough pressure (downforce) on the needle with its mechanical settings.

Graphtec makes cutters that are well worth the money.

Also, try a 60 degree blade........Oh hell, just get a Graphtec......Roland.....Summa......Mimaki.....

THATgirl

Hi
I got a cheap plotter from a friend who went out of business and I had trouble with it too (til it blew up)
I had to find the small adjustment do-hicky on the side of the blade. Once I got that figured out it worked. It was a small knob you had to turn very slightly to put the blade at the height you wanted. sorry I am not much help.

Bogie

Yeah, with thicker material, you need more blade sticking out. I _really_ need to start haunting the pawn shops over near the aircraft plant again. I used to have some good special purpose mikes, including something that'd probably work for this, but I unloaded them...