• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need some help with pricing

Shock40

I have a guy that wants lettering cut in gloss white vinyl. 3" high by 44" long. I am only cutting it and premasking it. What would be the best way to price it out. Is there away that you guys do you pricing for everything?

Thanks

Shock40

He only wants two done for now. Is there away to price jobs the same way all the time? by the sq ft or sq inch. I am so lost on this pricing LOL. Hate to over price but I hate to under price too

ucmj22

there is no good way to do it that is going to work for any quantity. think about it this way. even the dumbest little decal will take you about 30 minutes to get out the door from start to finish so really you should be charging 30 min labor plus retail on material. That would be the only way to make money.

splizaat

In all honesty I don't use a method for pricing cut decals. They're a pain in the ass, some take ten minutes to pick for one - some take 3 seconds. I look at the sticker and spout out a number that I feel is worth it for me. With cut vinyl - your cost is basically pennies, what you are charging for is time at that point.

Shock40

Nice Good way to think. I am going to take the $15 and ran with it. I am still making money and it is easy money at that. LOL Thanks Matt.

HulkSmash

I'm not trying to be rude, but you run a shop who does vinyl and signs, and dont know how to price cut vinyl?

Shock40

I am doing this on the side. I have been on the other side doing the appling and making the signs but ever pricing. So it is all new to me. I had this in the newbie Forum but it got moved.

Bradster941

Even if your just using a 16” roll, your still looking at

44”, lets call it 48” x 1.3 feet of material, (vinyl and mask).
= 5.2 sq ft.

This (total), should be paid for. Since they are 3” high, you could give the customer an extra set out of the media used.

So, even at $10 / sq.' , that will put you above a $45 shop minimum.

MikePatterson

Head bathroom cleaner.
We have a $25 minimum for cut vinyl. $35 minimum for printed stuff.
It cuts down on the kids wearing me out over copywrighted decals for their windows that I wont cut anyway. Plus you have to cover your wasted material and other shop expenses.

Now that I think about it I should really be charging $65 minimum. Because most of my customers burn at least an hour of my time for some 6in POS "sticker" they just have to have.

I am getting more and more grumpy the older I get.

Kevin-shopVOX

We have a $25 minimum for cut vinyl. $35 minimum for printed stuff.
It cuts down on the kids wearing me out over copywrighted decals for their windows that I wont cut anyway. Plus you have to cover your wasted material and other shop expenses.

Now that I think about it I should really be charging $65 minimum. Because most of my customers burn at least an hour of my time for some 6in POS "sticker" they just have to have.

I am getting more and more grumpy the older I get.

Yes you should absolutely be charging that. There is nothing wrong with having a shop minimum in fact it is good practice. It pays you well for the nickel and dime jobs that still take just as much time (customer interaction, getting the media, setting the file up, cutting, weeding, collecting cash, time away from real money making jobs etc etc.) to do if it was a higher $ job. I personally think its absurd that a store owner that has an overhead burden rate (what it cost you just to turn your lights on) between $45 of $125/hr dollars sells anything for $15 or $25. It just doesn't make sense as you are not relaying value on your time, shop, employees nor equipment. Tell them they can have 1 for your minimum or multiple copies of the SAME THING that warrants your shop minimum. Either way your are increasing your ticket average and making it worth your time or they walk and you have more time to focus on better or jobs or getting and keeping better customers.

I think if everyone was completely honest with their time they would have a new appreciation for shop minimums...which in my opinion should be 1 hr but even if your policy is a half hour minimum I think many people fail to consider what it really takes to do those nickel and dime jobs.

if you take into consideration the time it takes to take the order, write it up, fill out a job form..whatever your process is (minimum 10-15 minutes)

produce the job (this one for example cut, weed, tape) 10 minutes

print out an invoice, call customer, put away stuff another 10 minutes.

that's assuming everything goes right, the customer doesn't talk your ear off, etc. no follow up, accounting, etc.
in today's market even a home based business should be charging AT LEAST $65 per hour.

if you don't value your own time..no one else will either.

signswi

(time cost + materials cost x shop markup) + design cost = price

time cost = employee(s) time x employee wage(s)
shop markup = your call, should cover your overhead and give you a margin you can live on, usually 1.5 (150%) or higher
design cost = can of worms, another thread ;P
materials cost = obvious; vinyl, ink, tape, etc.

That's just a baseline but typical. Should also have shop minimums in place for final price (and for design price really, as part of design cost...).

However, some shops like:
(hourly time x shop rate) + design cost = price

In which case:
shop rate = the amount you (owner) need per hour to earn a living after ALL expenses
hourly time = total time in employee hours for the project

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I am doing this on the side. I have been on the other side doing the appling and making the signs but ever pricing. So it is all new to me. I had this in the newbie Forum but it got moved.

I think if everyone was completely honest with their time they would have a new appreciation for shop minimums...which in my opinion should be 1 hr but even if your policy is a half hour minimum I think many people fail to consider what it really takes to do those nickel and dime jobs.

if you take into consideration the time it takes to take the order, write it up, fill out a job form..whatever your process is (minimum 10-15 minutes)

produce the job (this one for example cut, weed, tape) 10 minutes

print out an invoice, call customer, put away stuff another 10 minutes.

that's assuming everything goes right, the customer doesn't talk your ear off, etc. no follow up, accounting, etc.
in today's market even a home based business should be charging AT LEAST $65 per hour.

if you don't value your own time..no one else will either.

I think this is the part you're all missing. He's doing this on the side. Evidently, he has nothing invested.... at all. :frustrated:

My question would now be.... is this your boss's vinyl.... your boss's machines.... being done on company grounds, but just after hours...... OR
are you the boss and doing this on the side and not running it through the books. You're a newbie, so it helps if you explain yourself first, instead of us pulling teeth to get your to talk.

dms505

I'm working out of my home workshop right now with low overhead so I go with approximately (Materials+machine time x 2) + Design/installation time. When/if I can open up a shop down town I will probably be able to bump it to Materials+machine time x 2.5) + Design/installation time. My minimum right now is $25 but I rarely have minimum orders since i don't have a storefront for people to wander into and want "stickers for thier cars".

MikePatterson

Head bathroom cleaner.
I'm working out of my home workshop right now with low overhead so I go with approximately (Materials+machine time x 2) + Design/installation time. When/if I can open up a shop down town I will probably be able to bump it to Materials+machine time x 2.5) + Design/installation time. My minimum right now is $25 but I rarely have minimum orders since i don't have a storefront for people to wander into and want "stickers for thier cars".

If you don't start treating your business like a business, even though it is in your "home workshop". You will never be able to get into that storefront down town. You will have already trained your customer base to expect your pricing structure and they will not let you go up on them, even if your overhead goes up. As soon as you jack your prices up to cover your new overhead they will seek services elsewhere just because they feel like your over charging them for the same product they got for less from you before.

HSHLLC

Hi all, I am a little late to this conversation but I wanted to show you my solution to the price question. Since you have to do this for every project, I figured I would try to automate it a little. The below link is my "Auto Price" spreadsheet that will help you understand the cost and the markup of your material. Just download it and follow the instructions. Let me know what you think!

Automatic Pricing Spreadsheet:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AkUr1f2rykU4dGNKd3FtWjJJTUhPbkNYTnhyc2NvOFE&hl=en_US

Techman

why the hell do you even bother with $15 to $25 jobs?
Start doing $100 jobs that earn you professional rate of income.

(Materials+machine time x 2) + Design/installation time. When/if I can open up a shop down town I will probably be able to bump it to Materials+machine time x 2.5) + Design/installation time.

At this rate you will never be able to make a real living doing this. Why does any one sell their work by the pound?