• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need some help with pricing

CheapVehicleWrap

Good Gawd, even MOSH is 25% higher!

Sometimes NO work is more profitable that what some people take in. It's a good thing you don't smoke.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
What's machine time ??

Let me guess, that's the term you came up with which includes your insurance, electric, heat, A/C, mortgage payment, water bill, food, licenses, taxes and other overhead costs.

You wanna start somewhere ?? Start by being honest and not trying to ruin the industry.

What's that you say ?? One person can't hurt the big ol' sign industry ?? Ya gotta start somewhere ??

Ya know how many hacks are out there lowballing, undercutting, selling wrong substrates, wrong materials, installing wrong and causing this industry lotsa headaches and higher costs to do business to make up for you wannabees ??

If ya got a job in a sign shop, you could learn about 98% of what it takes to get started on your own. Wanna just jump in and cut others out of the picture isn't very nice, if you haven't a clue as to what you're doing. Working out of your basement, kitchen, uncle's garage.... or wherever doesn't give anyone the right to scam customers.

If you can't figure out a simple mathematical riddle, how do you expect to figure out the business end of things ?? By simply coming on a sign forum and just throwing numbers around.

$15. is way too high for what you gave your cusomter. You should be around $2.75 each and be glad if they come back.

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
Nice Good way to think. I am going to take the $15 and ran with it. I am still making money and it is easy money at that. LOL Thanks Matt.

What the crap ... just short of 4 feet of vinyl used (whether you installed or not) i would have charged him $110 as a whole. ... even if you use a 15" roll you will be left with a 6"x46" strip of SCRAP that you will then need to find a need to re-use it for and charge for ... this should already be paid for and while white is an easy to re-use color ... then you still need to think about how much your printer cost, your software, your computer, your cutting blades, your time, etc. If you have a 54" plotter, that might be different, I would still charge around $85-110 though scrap or no scrap.

I guess on the side that is fine for only 15 for each ... beer money I suppose, but don't rape your "on the side" work into the dirt, you'll start attracting flies that only want one 4"x6" 4 color cut vinyl graphic, will only want to spend $10 and want to waste an hour of your time.

Speedsterbeast

why the hell do you even bother with $15 to $25 jobs?
Start doing $100 jobs that earn you professional rate of income.

You can make a lot of money with $25.00 jobs, provided their the right ones.

...I lose money on every job, but I make it up on volume

splizaat

$15. is way too high for what you gave your cusomter. You should be around $2.75 each and be glad if they come back.

For 2.75 I'll contract all my die-cut stickers this size out to you and not lift a finger, and still make profit. Your price is ridiculous...when was the last time you walked into a store and saw a pre made "fox racing" sticker (that they make thousands of at a time) this size for less then $25....how is $15 for ONE CUSTOM sticker that big considered a scam?

I either missed the sarcasm in your post, or you are high.

Techman

.I lose money on every job, but I make it up on volume

The most idiotic of beliefs.

Do you work in a junk yard? If not I think you are better suited for that type of work.

Dam, I am really starting to hate this whore attitude.

Maye this is another troll...

waximoff

Hi all, I am a little late to this conversation but I wanted to show you my solution to the price question. Since you have to do this for every project, I figured I would try to automate it a little. The below link is my "Auto Price" spreadsheet that will help you understand the cost and the markup of your material. Just download it and follow the instructions. Let me know what you think!

Automatic Pricing Spreadsheet:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AkUr1f2rykU4dGNKd3FtWjJJTUhPbkNYTnhyc2NvOFE&hl=en_US

That's pretty cool. Have you made them for all facets of your sign shop?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Yeah, for the poster that said about doing the $25. jobs.... I'll take one $2,500 job to your 100 $25. jobs. In fact, I'll take one $250 to your 10 $25. jobs.

Such a foolish statement.

We did a job for a customer about three weeks ago, where we cut, weeded and taped it up for him to apply. 4pcs 4" x 32" in teal, three words on each line. We got $186. He just called today. He needs two more. Turned out when he applied the vinyl to the aluminum HE bought to keep his costs down, he didn't know to peel the protective covering off. He asked how much will it cost to get two more made. I told him we have a $125 minimum. I heard his jaw hit the floor as he stammered out.... you're kidding me, right ?? Nope, but I'll do this for you since you've just become a 'Repeat Customer'. I'll cut it, weed it and put it on for you for $65. He said, great deal. I'll be over first thing in the morning.

This will take one of the guys no more than 15 minutes to re-cut 1/2 the file, weed it, tape it up and lay it down. Ya gotta ask for it or you'll never get it.

Heck, this will pay for a couple of drinks at Johnny & Hons Friday night at the mixer.........

Attachments

• GINO.gif
    GINO.gif
    19.6 KB · Views: 80

MichaelAlmand

Gino said:
Yeah, for the poster that said about doing the $25. jobs.... I'll take one $2,500 job to your 100 $25. jobs. In fact, I'll take one $250 to your 10 $25. jobs.

Such a foolish statement.

We did a job for a customer about three weeks ago, where we cut, weeded and taped it up for him to apply. 4pcs 4" x 32" in teal, three words on each line. We got $186. He just called today. He needs two more. Turned out when he applied the vinyl to the aluminum HE bought to keep his costs down, he didn't know to peel the protective covering off. He asked how much will it cost to get two more made. I told him we have a $125 minimum. I heard his jaw hit the floor as he stammered out.... you're kidding me, right ?? Nope, but I'll do this for you since you've just become a 'Repeat Customer'. I'll cut it, weed it and put it on for you for $65. He said, great deal. I'll be over first thing in the morning.

This will take one of the guys no more than 15 minutes to re-cut 1/2 the file, weed it, tape it up and lay it down. Ya gotta ask for it or you'll never get it.

Heck, this will pay for a couple of drinks at Johnny & Hons Friday night at the mixer.........

Lol love it! People are whacked