• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

need some professional advice

skyigraphics

I have a client that I am quoting 150 signs for. they are concerned with the vinyl peeling over time as they are going to be used in a food processing facility
my plan was using .40 aluminum with oracal 751 vinyl or possibly 851
although I have not had any problems in the past but I have never done anything that was going to be put in a food plant either. I have also thought about seal-it but I have never used it on anything. so don't know much about it .
so what do you guys think?

Mike F

Either do it yourself or have them check with the FDA to see what kinds of materials and inks are allowed to be used. It's all going to depend on what type of food is processed in the facility and what exactly they're doing with it. The place I used to be the food safety delegate for only shipped, received, and packaged citrus fruits, but they still had some pretty strict guidelines as to what could even be in the facility. I'm sure there are even more stringent regulations when you're doing processing, especially if it's meat or seafood. You may also want to provide them with MSDS sheets for their annual food safety audits. They may not need them, but if they do, it's one less thing they'll have to worry about when their audit comes, and trust me, those things are NOT fun, especially when you have to look up that crap when you need to be inspecting and cleaning up every inch of the place.

skyigraphics

they would be going into a plant that is like a flour mill so there is not a liquid concern their concern is that over time the possibility of vinyl peeling, flaking off and getting into the flour or whatever they make , myself I don't think it is going to peel or flake off but I just wanted some advice form others and if any of you have ever experienced oracal 751 or 951 doing this over time.
and has anyone have any advice on sealing the edges as a preventative .
let me know your thoughts please.
thank you

Last edited:

ThinkRight

they would be going into a plant that is like a flour mill so there is not a liquid concern their concern is that over time the possibility of vinyl peeling, flaking off and getting into the flour or whatever they make , myself I don't think it is going to peel or flake off but I just wanted some advice form others and if any of you have ever experienced oracal 751 or 951 doing this over time.
and has anyone have any advice on sealing the edges as a preventative .
let me know your thoughts please.
thank you

Laminate the sign after you put the letters and numbers on it.
Liquid lam may work.