• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need to outgas?????

Gino

Premium Subscriber
It might be an old thread, but then, us old guys do tend to gas out a lot more than we used to......................... Sometimes just bending over, I let a big outgassing. You should hear it.

I just hate the SBDs.​

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Nope. I sit to do my shoes. In fact, I'm starting to think I should change over to velcro flaps, so I don't go head first into the wall. Come to think of it.... who bends over to tie their shoes, anyway ??

It's worse when after printing a large piece of vinyl or banner and I bend over to pick it up to roll it up. I need to learn to hold those suckers. There I go again, they don't suck, they OUTGAS. Its a backwards/forwards propulsion.

mmblarg

We have had laminate fail before so we let it set overnight for 16-24 hours. Our experience - only customers who are willing to put up a fight will come back with a complaint, the rest will leave your business without a word and you'll never know what you did wrong. Even if chances of failure are slim or the resulting flaws are minor in your eyes, it's not worth risking the integrity of your client relationship just to get a print out faster. We've never had someone not return to us because a print took two days rather than one...

ams

Eco solvent has a 24 hour recommendation, but I always do 4 - 8 hours. Sometimes 12 on heavy ink.

shadi75

owner
How about NOW

I m still using my Roland VP, for the past 8 years i always let wraps out gas for a day. For me and a lot of others on this forum when its time to upgrade there are few more choices now, you can upgrade to truevis that uses new fast drying truevis inks, i been also told by my supplier that the vs-300i eco sol max 2 inks are fast drying and i don't have to outgas long. There is also the latex option and i honestly not sure about the rumor that print head will degrade and so does the print quality , so in the span of few weeks you wont get the same quality for a print if you reprint it. But That could also be fake news spread by non latex printers suppliers lol.

Is outgasing still being done for the truevis and eco sol max 2 inks

netsol

Like I say...I have wrap on one of my shop trucks that still looks new...SEVEN YEARS later, lamed right after print...but do as you want...Time is money!
you are RIGHT & WRONG at the same time, i think.
we use certain vinyls that are very "soft" &'stretchy' if they don't outgas
others, it couldn't be less important
we generally wait, A LUXURY WE HAVE having. longbenough lead time on most jobs

Guerilla Grafix

you are RIGHT & WRONG at the same time, i think.
we use certain vinyls that are very "soft" &'stretchy' if they don't outgas
others, it couldn't be less important
we generally wait, A LUXURY WE HAVE having. longbenough lead time on most jobs
Do you have a brand of thicker adhesive vinyl that you recommend for decals and stickers?

I got a roll of Briteline that came with my new Mimaki CJV and it is extremely thin. Even with 3mil UV laminate it's still tacky/thin.

I'm looking into getting some vinyl and laminate from Substance to experiment with

A Signage

The first wrap I did about 15 years ago we solvent printed 3M and laminated immediately to save time. It looked good going on but about 6 months later it came back with all the laminate separating, cracking, and looking like orange peel paint clear coat.

That wasn't the worst thing though, it wouldn't come off! Not in pieces, not at all! The laminate layer would peel off and the printed layer was permanently adhered. I've never seen anything like it, and never did again. We tried heat, vinyl remover, eraser wheel, and more. If slivers of the print came off all of the adhesive was left like a thick gray layer of tar. In the end it had to go to a body shop for sandblasting and repaint, it was a nightmare.

We never laminated without allowing the prints to fully dry again and never has anything even close to this happen again. We knew they needed to outgas per manufacturer requirements, but was not aware this could happen, it was brutal.

Last edited: