• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need to PRint a Good Screen

joeutut

I have an HP 3500 CP with HP UV Inks installed. How can I get this machine to print me a good screem? Shadows look very grainy.

Any help is greatly appreciated

Joe

HaroldDesign

I no longer use Wasatch, but I did use it extensively for a few years. What line-screen are you printing? anything below 5% tint will turn into a scum dot.

joeutut

I have it set for precision stacastic at the lowest setting, "1". Is there a better screening I can use?

HaroldDesign

I used stochastic when ripping out of Wasatch to a CTS, but when printing film the HP print didn't have enough density to get a good screen without playing the over-exposure game. I did however get good results using the ellipse at 55 or 65 lpi. It takes a bit of setting up, and I wish I could remember what angles I used for each color, but if you're going to produce one color use a 52 degree angle.

HaroldDesign

No problem. If you have any more questions be specific, as I haven't used Wasatch in a while but I think I'll remember more the more specific you are.

joeutut

Ok, I went to halftone properties and set it from the list to PostScript Screenning then the Dot Shape to Simple Ellipse. By default the frequency is at 55 on all colors. When I did the settings I just wrote, the shadow area looks more grainy. Am I hitting the correct area to adjust?

HaroldDesign

I think you're on the right track. What exactly do you mean "shadow" areas? Areas with tint, or some sort of gradient? Another thing I remember is making a configuration that would print black only at a higher ink%. The files I ripped through Wasatch were already separated through a pdf file printer out of Illy. I then ripped each color to the configuration named for that color (although the only difference was the angle).

joeutut

What I have is a 4 color image with a black shadow gradient. Here is my process, Illustrator File save as an eps, open in Wasatch, Rip & Print.

joeutut

I really do not know but I just think this printer should do better, I am not sure. The file I am playing with was sent to me but it is typical of the results I get. I am outsourcing this file to a printer I use regularly who always is top notch so I can see what it looks like with someone who knows what they are doing and compare to what I am getting.I really can't thank you enough for sticking with me but I have to go. I will repost again with better info and more knowledge. Thank you so much for your patience you gave me more ideas to tinker with.

HaroldDesign

You're welcome. I get lots of help on this forum and try to give it back - that's what I love about Signs 101 (and the brutal entertainment). One last thing - if you can rasterize that portion of the art in Illy give that a try.

bbeens

Joeutut-

Just to be clear, you are attempting to print with just K ink for film production and not printing in a CMYK mode - correct? The driver for that printer is rather limited in the options available. I haven't touched any HPs from that era in a while. What resolution are you printing at 300dpi or 600dpi? If you can get away with a lower LPI I would suggest trying that - theory being that larger halftone dot will help hide said graininess.

Bryan

Bill Modzel

I've tried to get a good dense print on film on my HP5000 and have never come close to a solid positive image. Both pigment and dye inksets left much to be desired.
I think you really need a piezo printed like the Epsons to get a good screen print film.