• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need to remove Rain-x

kellogg

Anyone encountered this film on the windshield and found an effective way to remove it? A week ago, we placed vinyl letterings across the top of the windshield for a customer. Now some of the letters have come off and few others are beginning to lift. I'm suspecting this windshield was treated with Rain-X at one time. Since the customer bought the truck used, he can't provide any history on it. Our cleaning and prepping the surface have always produced positive results. All the small letters we put on the rear side windows are holding up great, so Rain-X is my primary suspect.

rjssigns

Wipe down with your solvent of choice. Then I use a product called Bar Keepers Friend. It is a powdered cleanser that won't scratch, but it takes a bit of work. Leaves the surface nice and clean. Your results may vary.

OldPaint

ive run into this. we old sign painter used a product called BON-AMI to clean glass. probably same stuff as bar keepers friend.
NEXT product is a hot high grade lacquer thinner. if that dont do it then you need MEK!!
MEK IS VOLATILE CHEMICAL.........DO NOT GET IT ON ANY OTHER PART OF THE CAR...IT WILL DESTROY PAINT!!!!!!!!!!! will do the same to the RUBBER!!!

omgsideburns

Bar keepers friend is pretty much just like bon-ami I believe.
I use it to clean my stainless sink, and stainless pots/pans.

Pat Whatley

Soft-scrub cleaner and a sponge. Available at almost every grocery store in America. Final wipedown with denatured alcohol.

rjssigns

Yup. Bon-Ami and Bar Keepers Friend are interchangeable. Just can't find Bon-Ami around here. And Bar Keepers is at the Piggly Wiggly around the corner.

Techman

Rapid Prep. works good..

But since the main ingredient is ETHANOL AND ISOPROPYL ALCOHOL.. That will be the best solvent to remove it..
they added the iso so gino doesn't drink the juice..
and then
Polydimethylsiloxanes.. super water repellant.

Chlorotrimethylsilane so that organic stuff will not stick. (bugs)
Siloxanes and silicones, di-me, ...so water bounces off and so the wipers cannot wipe the product off the window.
Ethyl sulfate a product made when they added sulfuric acid to the juice.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Another approach, but from the rear................. :rolleyes:

Attachments

• Farting.jpg
    Farting.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 80
J

john1

I have known windex to take off wax's and grease, Then wipe it down a few times with rapid tac to get the windex gone.

Techman

The main solvent for this stuff is alcohol.

The main job of this product is to fling water or any other high tension liquid away from itself. It also has an organic matter deflector in it.

Using soap (water based) or any other high tension liquid or using anything organic is a test in will power.

Why not just use the solvent they used in the first place. Alcohol. Ethanol is what they used. Get some ever clear high test drinking juice and be done with it. You can easily clean the window and have a nip all at the same time.

96XP

I use Tumbler (wax, grease, silicon remover) just a year ago doing install on glass, then the corners started to pull back. May have been that I used Convex. I figure perhaps thinner would have been better as the 'thick stuff' always seems to noticeably shrink a tad over time. Hind sight is 20/20. Will try the other suggestions from this thread. Thanks :)