• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Needs more modern font

ams

I designed this for a church, they want the logo at the top removed and the font to be more modern. What type of font would you say is "modern"?

aumc.jpg

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
After the "contemporary" logo I am going to preemptively add another :banghead:

After seeing your site - I would have thought you would have some design basics down, even if you are not good at it... which I find odd since you taut a software you seemingly have no command of.

Just like "contemporary", "Modern typeface" means something completely different to different people... if you "google" it a "modern typeface" is something like "Bodini" There is a standard design language you need to learn in order to interpret what the client wants (or needs) The client is not the expert, you are supposed to be. I would never correct a client, similar to your logo debacle, I would show them examples before going back to my desk and trying to interpret what they meant.

https://www.invisionapp.com/inside-design/how-to-describe-typefaces/

I'm sure they meant "humanist" typefaces or variation of that - what Tex is showing.

2 things...
-- Learn to kern
-- The arrows may not be the best to use, especially in an area where a quick decision is required.

ams

After the "contemporary" logo I am going to preemptively add another :banghead:

After seeing your site - I would have thought you would have some design basics down, even if you are not good at it... which I find odd since you taut a software you seemingly have no command of.

Just like "contemporary", "Modern typeface" means something completely different to different people... if you "google" it a "modern typeface" is something like "Bodini" There is a standard design language you need to learn in order to interpret what the client wants (or needs) The client is not the expert, you are supposed to be. I would never correct a client, similar to your logo debacle, I would show them examples before going back to my desk and trying to interpret what they meant.

https://www.invisionapp.com/inside-design/how-to-describe-typefaces/

I'm sure they meant "humanist" typefaces or variation of that - what Tex is showing.

2 things...
-- Learn to kern
-- The arrows may not be the best to use, especially in an area where a quick decision is required.

Your about to be next on my ignore list. I've designed many great signs, but sometimes I have no control over what the customer wants like Order Up! I sent her all the designs posted and some others and she turned them down and wants it more like the original. This church wants modern, basic and blue/white only, so it really limits me.

Rick

Your about to be next on my ignore list. I've designed many great signs, but sometimes I have no control over what the customer wants like Order Up! I sent her all the designs posted and some others and she turned them down and wants it more like the original. This church wants modern, basic and blue/white only, so it really limits me.

Thats up to you, but I really think you could learn something. Maybe it's the way you come off? Maybe I could react better?

So, there are 2 types of designers - most sign shops "Execute" design. When you become an expert - you start to become more "strategic" Strategic pays better...

When you "execute" design work, it's at the clients whim, you as an expert have to guide them through it. What you have been showing is not "expert" work. Once you show the client you are not the expert, you couldn't sell a heater to an Eskimo... I do believe we all have to start somewhere, but I was under the assumption you have been doing this for quite a while.

Like the order up logo, once you show something that the client can do, you are totally screwed, it's hard to get into the "expert" mode again. If I was designing this sign, my advice is (by the way, I practice what I preach)
-- Stay away from sign shop fonts,
-- Research other wayfinding signs
-- Give them options right off the bat so you can give them a choice, if you spent the 1 minute to pick another - not so decorative typeface - you would be printing this up by now.

If you need help learning to design - don't rely on what you know... google it!

By the way, not all is lost, your ORDER UP sign (not logo) was way better than any example shown on that thread. And the one thing I was frustrated about was not you... it was not one person asked "WHAT KIND OF FOOD DO THEY MAKE?"

HDvinyl

Trump 2020
People with mullets still think they have a good sense of style.

Just because your sh!t smells different each day, it still smells like, and IS still sh!t.

People with bad taste in life, can NEVER be good designers.

Rick

People with bad taste in life, can NEVER be good designers.

I believe this... but not everyone wants good design. People with bad taste will only hire lackluster designers and thats fine with me.

When I get a client with bad taste... I spend the money on something I want but don't necessarily need, that way I don't feel so dirty...