• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Nervous

redbarn

Illustrator cs6 64 bit version (if you are running 64 os). CS6 has been the first version since CS3 that I have found worth the upgrade. The new imagetrace feature is great. It may not be so great if you are not running 64 bit os and solid state hard drive. I also have flexi 10 but still prefer illy. I would suggest learning in a true graphics program and not a sign graphics program. They have their place but illy is so much more powerful and you can do all the same things-it might just be a little more complicated at first. You can take online, 6 week courses and be very comfortable manipulating the software in no time.

JBusch260

I feel that when you design a logo, use whatever program you are most comfortable with. Just keep in mind that if you are going to give/sell it to them, it's most easily displayed and worked with if it were in vector format. I personally use Adobe Illustrator. If you like to hand draw, it's easy to import and trace to make vector.

As for the advise of learning and researching, if you have the time and desire to see what others do, just seek it out. Look at different styles of design, color, typography. Kind of analyze what is strongest to you, what works or doesn't work. Analyze every element of what you find interesting and see if you can find how that makes it work for you and the target audience. brandsoftheworld.com is a huge database of identities to view for free.

Keep up the good work. Take the positive advice in stride, but don't let negative feedback hinder you from pushing yourself to improve.

redbarn

I agree with JBusch260, use what you are comfortable with BUT what you learn on will be what you are naturally inclined to forever... don't use an inferior design program. My Dad loves Flexi b/c he didn't have the patience to learn Illustrator. Now that's all he will use and speaking from experience, Flexi's functionality sucks in comparison. Like most things put time and effort in the front end and pays off in the long run. Like the mentioned above, dont get discouraged. All the negativity is ridiculous and eerks me to no end. I think some ppl from the older generations of this industry hate the fact that you no longer need to be an amazing artist to have a successful sign business. Now, you need to be creative, have a good eye and learn to manipulate graphic software with ease. There are tons of good articles on fundamentals for design, just google the psychology of logo design.

JBusch260

I agree with JBusch260, use what you are comfortable with BUT what you learn on will be what you are naturally inclined to forever... don't use an inferior design program.

YES YES YES. I should have elaborated more, thank you for the addendum! Illustrator can be intimidating at first, but as mentioned before, there are classes to teach you the basics to advance further on. Treat intimidation the same way you should with negative feedback. Push past it and don't be afraid to learn from it.

Angela

Funny I really thought everyone was going to say photoshop.

I do design in illy, but definitely need to learn more of it's capabilities. The advice given will be heeded.

Thank you all so much!!!

P.S.
Ya know this forum wasn't as scary as I thought it was going to be.

HulkSmash

Thank you all so much. You were all very kind and extremely helpful. I will work on this and resubmit.

Might I ask what program most of you use when designing a logo? And any recommendations pertaining to what Coloradosigns says?

We use illustrator.

How most learn who don't go to school for it....

find a good tutorial site. Here's a site that shows top sites for this (http://vandelaydesign.com/blog/design/top-10-sites-for-illustrator-tutorials/)

do as many as you can, then find a way to plug in what you learn into a job you might get. Once you learn the principles it makes it easier..
After you learn the program, learn fonts.. it's if not more, as important as the initial design itself.

now the hard part.. being creative. My opinion with this, is that it is something you're born with, or develop early.. some people just are not creative, and cannot do a complete design.. but just enough to get by...
so after you get some skills in the design programs, try to look at other work and get some inspiration.

good luck.

Moze

Precision Sign Services
Funny I really thought everyone was going to say photoshop.

I do design in illy, but definitely need to learn more of it's capabilities. The advice given will be heeded.

Thank you all so much!!!

P.S.
Ya know this forum wasn't as scary as I thought it was going to be.

It's because your username is 'Angela'. If it were a masculine name, you would have different responses. :Big Laugh