• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Netflix

MikePro

nobody mentioned House of Cards?!? ....hollywood sex scandals aside, its definitely worth a watch.
+1 Stranger Things
+1 BreakingBad & Better Call Saul
+1 Dexter
+1 Madmen

Arlo Kalon 2.0

I'm about at the point where I fondly remember the good old days of three networks and around a maximum of half dozen shows that occupied my interest. There is such an avalanche of content available now. I'm assuming a career as a scriptwriter is very lucrative these days. A few months back I was remembering an incident from my childhood. My first guitar I had was a single pickup Gibson electric my dad bought me shortly after the Beatles first American appearance. Sometime after that I announced to my dad that I couldn't get better with a single pickup guitar, my further progress required a double pickup. A few days later he brought a guitarist home who traveled on tour with a famous country musician at that time. He asked to see my guitar. He started playing an instrumental version of a beer commercial that was on tv at the time for Old Milwaukee beer. I was stunned and my dad had done an admirable job of shooting down my idea that this guitar was holding me back. I asked that guy how he got so good and he said "by practicing 6 hours every single day".

As I was remembering this awhile back, I was also frustrated at the time I wasn't learning an instrumental piece at a satisfactory pace. It suddenly occurred to me I was hopelessly addicted to streaming about 30 shows every night and wasn't devoting enough time to practicing something I wanted to master. Earlier this year a high school friend I hadn't seen in 40 years contacted me he would be in my area in a few days for a convention and would like to meet up. Since I knew he was a good guitarist I asked him if he'd like to go to an open mic I attended every week that was going to be on the first day he was at my house. He said sure. He got onstage and did his two song limit. It was so well received that everybody there was in favor of him just turning the event into a little concert featuring him. He had everyone in the room singing along on a few songs at one point. When he was done it was my turn. After the first verse of my song, my friend jumped on a piano there and played along with me like he had known the song his whole life. Okay, I was prepared to accept he had time to master another instrument since we were last together. I announce my second song as a bluegrass number and my buddy immediately asked to borrow a fiddle someone was holding. At one point in the song I stopped singing to give him space to solo for a bit if he was capable of it. He brought the house down. Afterwards I asked him how he got so good on two instruments I never knew he played and he said in all his adult life he never owned a television. He just played music and read every day.

I started thinking about how much of my life was spent being consumed with the next episode of a show I was engrossed in. It occurred to me all was doing was watching people who were vastly more highly paid than I ever was just doing their job of pretending to be somebody else. Nothing about the shows had any real significance to my life and indeed they were holding me back in achieving something that was important to me. I still don't put in 6 hours on my guitar but I finally mastered that instrumental and purchased a whole series of similar pieces of music from the artist to learn. For the past month I've been reading a new novel in its entirety ever 2 or 3 days. My phone informed me I've had a 46% reduction in my "screen time" in the past few weeks. I'm thinking about buying a third guitar more suited to the style of music I'm learning (they're acoustics so the pickup issue doesn't apply. Some guitar body styles are more suited to different styles of playing). All of this just made me wonder how much more a person could accomplish if they weren't glued to a tv every day. Finally, a few of the extremely wealthy people I know when I asked "hey, didja see that episode of XXXXXXXX last night?" told me they never watch tv. All of this isn't Lost on me... get it? Lost?

equippaint

I'm about at the point where I fondly remember the good old days of three networks and around a maximum of half dozen shows that occupied my interest. There is such an avalanche of content available now. I'm assuming a career as a scriptwriter is very lucrative these days. A few months back I was remembering an incident from my childhood. My first guitar I had was a single pickup Gibson electric my dad bought me shortly after the Beatles first American appearance. Sometime after that I announced to my dad that I couldn't get better with a single pickup guitar, my further progress required a double pickup. A few days later he brought a guitarist home who traveled on tour with a famous country musician at that time. He asked to see my guitar. He started playing an instrumental version of a beer commercial that was on tv at the time for Old Milwaukee beer. I was stunned and my dad had done an admirable job of shooting down my idea that this guitar was holding me back. I asked that guy how he got so good and he said "by practicing 6 hours every single day".

As I was remembering this awhile back, I was also frustrated at the time I wasn't learning an instrumental piece at a satisfactory pace. It suddenly occurred to me I was hopelessly addicted to streaming about 30 shows every night and wasn't devoting enough time to practicing something I wanted to master. Earlier this year a high school friend I hadn't seen in 40 years contacted me he would be in my area in a few days for a convention and would like to meet up. Since I knew he was a good guitarist I asked him if he'd like to go to an open mic I attended every week that was going to be on the first day he was at my house. He said sure. He got onstage and did his two song limit. It was so well received that everybody there was in favor of him just turning the event into a little concert featuring him. He had everyone in the room singing along on a few songs at one point. When he was done it was my turn. After the first verse of my song, my friend jumped on a piano there and played along with me like he had known the song his whole life. Okay, I was prepared to accept he had time to master another instrument since we were last together. I announce my second song as a bluegrass number and my buddy immediately asked to borrow a fiddle someone was holding. At one point in the song I stopped singing to give him space to solo for a bit if he was capable of it. He brought the house down. Afterwards I asked him how he got so good on two instruments I never knew he played and he said in all his adult life he never owned a television. He just played music and read every day.

I started thinking about how much of my life was spent being consumed with the next episode of a show I was engrossed in. It occurred to me all was doing was watching people who were vastly more highly paid than I ever was just doing their job of pretending to be somebody else. Nothing about the shows had any real significance to my life and indeed they were holding me back in achieving something that was important to me. I still don't put in 6 hours on my guitar but I finally mastered that instrumental and purchased a whole series of similar pieces of music from the artist to learn. For the past month I've been reading a new novel in its entirety ever 2 or 3 days. My phone informed me I've had a 46% reduction in my "screen time" in the past few weeks. I'm thinking about buying a third guitar more suited to the style of music I'm learning (they're acoustics so the pickup issue doesn't apply. Some guitar body styles are more suited to different styles of playing). All of this just made me wonder how much more a person could accomplish if they weren't glued to a tv every day. Finally, a few of the extremely wealthy people I know when I asked "hey, didja see that episode of XXXXXXXX last night?" told me they never watch tv. All of this isn't Lost on me... get it? Lost?
Good post and very true. This and phones are a drag on our society.

MikePro

lol @ the "Lost" reference.... only applicable to those that wasted years of their lives confirming that they were wasting years of their lives awaiting confirmation of exactly what everyone thought was going on the whole time.

bannertime

There were some good mentions here. My three personal Netflix Originals right now are Lost in Space, Altered Carbon, and Stranger Things.

CreatedDesigns

the top ones for me are

The Originals
The 100
Penny Dreadful
Reign
The 4400
iZombie
Once Upon a Time
Californication

That should waste about a month of your life right there...…..

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
the top ones for me are

The Originals
The 100
Penny Dreadful
Reign
The 4400
iZombie
Once Upon a Time
Californication

That should waste about a month of your life right there...…..

Oh geeze, it takes me several days to finish one episode. I usually turn on Netflix at night right before bed and I'l lucky to get 15 mins before dozing.

Stacey K

I like making signs
There's a new zombie show coming out called Black Summer that is supposed to be better than The Walking Dead - if you're into that kinda thing, which I am lol. The Dirt was really good although I didn't care for the casting of Vince Neil. Also liked Highwaymen. On episode 4 of Hanna...it's pretty good.
My favorite binges have been Dexter and Breaking Bad

Stacey K

I like making signs
Oh geeze, it takes me several days to finish one episode. I usually turn on Netflix at night right before bed and I'l lucky to get 15 mins before dozing.
That sounds more like snack-watching than binge-watching...LOL I do the same during the week though!