• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

never saeen this tunneling before

gabagoo

I laminated 5 sheets of these saturday morning. each one is about 45" x 90" and I used arctic write on erase laminate on a proveer matte truestock (avery) calenedered vinyl.

The pic is of the top sheet with 4 more below. the 4 below are fine and after my heart seizure upon seeing this I determined it was not the laminate lifting off the vinyl but the laminate and the vinyl lifting off the backing paper.

I have it set to be applied to a piece of coro and I think it will go down OK. I ran the sheet through the laminator again to reflatten it and it did nothing and came out looking like this again, although saturday when I laminated it looked OK.

This is weird.

Attachments

• tunnels galore.JPG
    tunnels galore.JPG
    94.7 KB · Views: 110

MikePro

too much tension on the laminate feed-roller?
my best guess, would be the laminate was stretched prior to bonding with the print and is trying to shrink back, taking your print with it.
If it's just curling off the backing paper, then you might be ok and it could apply just fine with a little extra love & heat.

petesign

did you leave it rolled up and masked over the weekend by chance? Ive seen that cause the tunneling you have there.

CanuckSigns

too much tension on the laminate feed-roller?
my best guess, would be the laminate was stretched prior to bonding with the print and is trying to shrink back, taking your print with it.
If it's just curling off the backing paper, then you might be ok and it could apply just fine with a little extra love & heat.

This is most likely it, it should be fine once you apply it to your substrate, if you are really worried, after it has been applied, hit it with a heat gun.

gabagoo

your all wrong so far.... They laid flat all weekend and they were laminated in sheet form so the only tension was from me holding the piece.
The vinyl is a 3ml calendered grey adhesived back.

It only occurred on the last sheet that sat on top of the other 4...maybe the temperature was a bit cold this weekend

gabagoo

I applied the graphic and I think there may have been less adhesive in that one area. I would think either there was to much silicone on the backing paper or there was not enough adhesive

synergy_jim

+1. Dry erase lams need light tension on the roller. They also have a tendency to tunnel if prints are not outgassed properly.

gabagoo

in this caee it was not the laminate. I have applied them all down and everything is good. I now know the roll is somewhat defective as I have just cut a pile of decals and the same material is tunneling off the edges and there is no lam on it at all. I don't think there is anything wrong with the actual adhesive, but more the backing paper...have seen this from time to time.....need to change suppliers again....doh

gabagoo

Do you know which series specifically of Avery that they use before it is re-labeled?

Is it air-release (EZ Apply)?

If it is an issues with the vinyl (whether it's adhesive or backing paper related) you've got me a little worried.

We use Avery 2923 EZ apply on a daily basis and I do know they have changed the finish on the vinyl recently - which makes me wonder why they would change a vinyl without notifying their distributors or end users.

Seems like they new batches only started being slipped in with the old a couple of months ago.

Please tell me Avery hasn't gone and done it again......:covereyes:

I am pretty sure this is the Avery vinyl. It is the matte grey adhesived with an 83 pound liner. The 90 lb liner costs considerably more so I see no reason to use it. It is the Truestock from Proveer. I have liked the way it comes off it's backing paper as I find the vinyl ( especially if printed to the edge) to be much more rigid than those that dont have the grey adhesives.