Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New and have questions

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by shirley1520, Jul 18, 2007.

1. shirley1520

shirley1520 New Member

Jul 18, 2007
    My sons, ages 16 and 18, were given a heat press from church on the condition that they provide the church basketball team numbers for their shirts. That got us started, and now we're wanting to do logos so we started looking at the Roland GX-24 cutter. BUT, being at the age that they are, they also want the flexibility of doing car graphics.

We have very limited funds, but also don't want to invest in something that we'll not be able to use or will outgrow the need for quickly.

Any suggestions or recommendations?:help:

Thanks!
    Mom

Tags:
  2. SignTech

SignTech Guest

"We have very limited funds, but also don't want to invest in something that we'll not be able to use or will outgrow the need for quickly."

Welcome! The above statement seems to sum it up. You get what you pay for in the sign business ........ usually. Get a good machine. Suggestions? Do your homework ........ keep saving up.Your statment was kinda funny, sounds like some of our customers ........ "I want a long lasting beautiful sign, but I have a small budget .... can you have it done by tomorrow?" lol .........

3. lbumbaca

lbumbaca Member

Jun 12, 2006
    i would save some more money and get a 30" cx-300 roland that's what i wish i had done from the start oh ya do not buy anthing named after a bird cat i wish i new about that before i got my first plotter a used cx 300 should be around 1500 to 2000 try a post in the for sale that your looking for one hope you find something soon l.b

4. Pro Image

Pro Image Major Contributor

Nov 28, 2005
    Howdee from VA.........

The Roland is a good starter cutter.........I have a older (10years) Graphtec 24in that I still use today.............

5. signage

signage Major Contributor

Oct 5, 2005
    Penn
    Welcome from PA! You could get the cutter and if you are going to get into printing for the cars you could sub that out. I would recommend at least a 24" bigger is better!

6. Techman

Techman Major Contributor

Jun 24, 2003
    michigan
    24" will be fine for about 98% of all your work. The other 2% will be easy with a workaround. I owned a 24" cutter for years and never actually needed a bigger one.

7. Replicator

Replicator Major Contributor

Nov 19, 2006
    Sun City, AZ
    Welcome and Good Luck !

8. high impact

high impact Very Active Member

Welcome!!! Take it a step at a time.

Don't buy a cheap plotter, make sure you get a brand name and do your homework.

Have fun! and study, study, study!

9. Git-R-Done

Git-R-Done Member

Mar 31, 2005
    Valparaiso
    Welcome from Chicago

10. Mike Paul

Mike Paul Major Contributor

Dec 30, 2003
    NJ
    Graphtec, Summa, and Roland all have entry level plotters.

11. Sign Prophet

Sign Prophet Member

Jan 5, 2007
    Dont waste your money on the cheepo ebay cutters.Welcome from long beach, Ca.