• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

New cnc buyer - what brand ?

PhantomNeon

We're a graphic shop, specialized in car wraps, digital printing, also neon signs.
We want to add a CNC router, don't know much about it.
We are looking info for a Industrial CNC, seems like a good price, but no much info anywhere.
We like Shopbot, but seems a little over our budget.
We also looking the new Baileight http://wood.baileighindustrial.com/cnc-routing-table-wr-48
We love Baileight tools but don't know how good this will be for a sign shop.
We want an affordable machine, maybe we will use Inpire or Enroute 3D software in a future.
Somebody use this IndustrialCNC or Baileigh machines ?

Christian @ 2CT Media

There are a few good options for low budget: Laguna Tools, FeedR8, and Digirout are a few decent ones. Another better option is a mm on here Limac, if you look they have stellar reviews.

Saw Trax

+1 for the Shopbot. I have put two of their machines through the wringer and was always able to rely on them. I'm looking at buying a 4x4 shopbot for my home shop. Sometimes you can find a deal on a used table on the talkshopbot forum.

-Larry

Biker Scout

I have a very different opinion on this, after having a couple of tables over the years, and knowing what's out there, and what I would use the table for.

I'd say get the Baileigh because they back their machines. But if you can tinker, the ShopBot is the way to only because of the huge amounts of user support group sites. If you can think it, someone probably has done it or fixed it.

For me, I'm back in the market again, but looking for something more flexible in terms of what I can do with it. I'm buying this: cncmogul.com Especially if you think the ShopBot is too expensive.
(But I already have tons of stuff to support this kind of DIY build)

Buying a router table is very costly in terms of all the stuff you will need to add to the purchase that you didn't think about. Vacuum table is a must. Also, think about dust collection. Keeping the bit cool when cutting. How are you planning on handling tool change?

artbot

+1 for shopbot as well.

there are some very spec'd out used shopbots on talkshopbot on a regular basis. plus, if you track these shopbots, they sell used in no time. you could probably spend $7k to $$9k on a great
machine. run the balls off of it for a year. and sell it in two weeks for $7k to $9k. they are ugly, but they have a very wide fan base. people know that they can pick one up and be cutting that day.
not so true if you were to pick up a used industrial cnc.

plus, shopbots are almost zero maintenance.
my 25 year old shopbot broke down for the second time in 12 years today!!! argh! it cost me $1.60 to fix it (transistor from radio shack).

second choice, maybe first would be limac. the base model is really sweet for the money. i'd be hard pressed if someone gave me $10k and said quick buy a cnc, to not just get a limac. we had
one at the shop (failed company i started a year ago) very nice. but insanely heavy and i don't think i could fix one, or modify/upgrade one. too complex of a machine.

Definitely watch the shopbot for sale forum. We picked up a very well taken care of 2004 5'x12' PRT Alpha with dust collection, Columbo spindle and vacuum hold down for $11k. Drove 3 hours to pick it up and bring it back to the shop. The user forums and tech support are really good and even used buyers get full tech support.

Gene@mpls

+1 for shopbot as well.

there are some very spec'd out used shopbots on talkshopbot on a regular basis. plus, if you track these shopbots, they sell used in no time. you could probably spend $7k to $$9k on a great
machine. run the balls off of it for a year. and sell it in two weeks for $7k to $9k. they are ugly, but they have a very wide fan base. people know that they can pick one up and be cutting that day.
not so true if you were to pick up a used industrial cnc.

plus, shopbots are almost zero maintenance.
my 25 year old shopbot broke down for the second time in 12 years today!!! argh! it cost me $1.60 to fix it (transistor from radio shack).

second choice, maybe first would be limac. the base model is really sweet for the money. i'd be hard pressed if someone gave me $10k and said quick buy a cnc, to not just get a limac. we had
one at the shop (failed company i started a year ago) very nice. but insanely heavy and i don't think i could fix one, or modify/upgrade one. too complex of a machine.

Listen to Allan.

Travis

We've been looking to add a cnc to our shop as well. I see that those from MultiCam, Vision, Colex, etc, all have a camera registration systems. Can someone with a shopbot or similar CNC without a camera system talk about the process of contour cutting pre-printed printed boards? Is it possible?

artbot

i print cross hairs or a tiny "trim to" line around the part, then i paint the cnc table with lasers from above. line the printed target up with the edge of the laser and cut. the zero corner on the print will be the zero corner on the cnc. there will be a long line running down the x=0 and the y=0 the full length of the table.

the "lase-ed" line is about 1/16" wide so it's usually accurate within 1/16". i suppose with a better laser one could drop a finer/brighter line on the table and really get anal about where to place the part. it's very quick. surely quicker than having the cnc run to three corners to register.

Attachments

• SC93066.jpg
    SC93066.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 161
Last edited:

synergy_jim

6 years and our multi cam is still hauling!!! just remember, you get what you pay for. Multicam is by far the best built machine out there. the 8 tool changer saves more time than you can even imagine.

MikePro

6 years and our multi cam is still hauling!!! just remember, you get what you pay for. Multicam is by far the best built machine out there. the 8 tool changer saves more time than you can even imagine.

+1, our MultiCam3000 is 10yrs running and still no issues. the only reason I would get anything else would be to either add another axis, or branch-out to waterjet or laser to expand our options.
...o, and 11-tool changer, #nobigdeal :)