• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

New computer freezing.

Geary

Very well put Techman. You obviously know your stuff. While in the union I did a lot of signage installs up north at the various MS campuses and on breaks, I would sometimes get into talks with the upper-class techs there (Serious "Geekdom") . And your words ring true...especially about the days of when all the needs for supporting the "floating point" issues came about, this is exactly the way they spoke. And I don't believe they were just using the "company line" for their Intel buddys . They had massive data on tests performed over long periods of time. They absolutely HATED AMD machines....but, were also stuck with trying to make them work better. But, hey, that's what they earned their hundred Gs for. :wink:

Thanks for sharing. Seriously. :thumb:

~Gear

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
I'm still very far from being "sold" on using any integrated video chip solutions for any kind of production oriented graphics computer.

First, the electronics sales people at any Best Buy or whatever retail store du jour all have a vested interest in trying to push off the garbage they cannot manage to sell.

I have caught many electronics guys in outright lies trying to claim certain products did something they actually did not do at all. For instance, back when DVD was just getting a toe hold in the market place lots of sales droids would try to claim a mere Dolby Pro-Logic equipped receiver had full blown DTS and Dolby Digital 5.1 decoding when a simple glance through the manual would reveal otherwise. Often these sales people just have to say anything to get the product sold, otherwise they face getting the axe. Heck, many stores demand they get so many maintenance agreements sold with the product or they face getting terminated.

The management for many computing and electronics stores has an attitude that the product does not necessarily have to be good. It just has to be bought. With that, I always must examine their claims of what's good enough for me for any motive of bias.

It is a fact any computer using an integrated video acceleration chip on a motherboard is going to be slower than a dedicated video card with its own on board memory separate from the main system. The memory is only one issue. You also have the issue of bus speed between the accelerator chip(s) and memory. Main board bus speeds are very slow compared to that of dedicated graphics boards.

Now those guys at Best Buy or whereever may claim an integrated solution is "good enough." But then they don't know what applications all of us use and what we're doing with those applications. I can ask certain tasks of Photoshop or After Effects that will bring even the most well equipped computer systems to their knees. New versions of applications like Photoshop demand even more from computer systems. My notebook computer has a dedicated PCI-X card, but I still needed to max out its RAM to 2GB to get rid of some lag still present in PhotoshopCS2. Windows Vista is going to demand a lot more in the manner of system performance, probably more than a lot of low cost integrated graphics chip systems will be able to support. I'll probably only get Vista loaded on a new machine with all new hardware rather than buy an upgrade of it to load on any older machine.

Techman

I'm still very far from being "sold" on using any integrated video chip solutions for any kind of production oriented graphics computer.

I have caught many electronics guys in outright lies trying to claim certain products did something they actually did not do at all.

Maybe you should start hanging around with some honest people and befriending your neighborhood geek...

It is a fact any computer using an integrated video acceleration chip on a motherboard is going to be slower than a dedicated video card with its own on board memory separate from the main system

With todays bus speeds and CPU speed, and loads of cheap memory.. This point is MOOT and irrelevant..

OldPaint

iam one of the old school......i like my video card off the motherboard, ive made the concession to go with onboard sound because how bad can it be? i have a IWILL 1 gig m/b with XP HOME....and i cant get the onboard sound to work.....so i put in a sound card. both machines i built, this 1 gig hasa a ATI 64 MEG video card...and works great.
i had a 32 meg ATI card and i bought NVIDIA 256 meg, which give me all kinda trouble installin it..but i got it workin, problem was because i had ATI in the computer.....
now a 256 meg video card WILL MAKE A BIG DIFFERANCE in any computer....