• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

New computer

Bennett

Hello everyone!

The owner is deciding on a new computer ... between a PC and a Mac ... My vote is for Mac (I have a Mac at home).

What software can we use for vinyl cutting on a new Mac (we don't want to run Windows on it). The only program I want to avoid is Flexisign ... for two reasons ... I hate flexisign (topic for another day) ... and the second is that we run Signlab on our other 3 PCs.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Flame

I dislike Mac's very much thank you.

I think Corel is easy to master, and use CoCut or something similiar for a rip. Flexi is nice, but not worth the money IMHO and it appears like you already hate it anyways, so never mind...

I have both (2)peecee and a (2)Mac. Any graphic work I do is solely on a mac. But unfortunely I have to use a peecee to run my router table and play the cool games online. I run LXI on my mac but that's basically Flexi. Also I do a different aspect of signs too. But I know if I had to do full color graphic work I'd reather be on a Mac. But what type of signs do you do? I'm mostly Electric and dimensional.

Derf

Bill,

MAC vs PC is a complex subject because it will open the can of MAC haters and PC haters.. That will probably jack the thread with back and forth MAC vs PC bashing.

Here is what I do and take it for what it is...

I design in Illustrator, Photoshop on the MAC G5, then open the production file on the PC and RIP/Print or cut with Flexi.

I am on the MAC 90% of the time. I web surf, email safely and the MAC never skips a beat. I don't have to worry about updating my virus software every day or dealing with Spy ware crap.

The PC is NEVER on the internet but is on the local network and has Virus & Spy protection. We had the computer's HD completely erased and did a fresh install of Win XP pro with Flexi and Illustrator being the only software on the computer and it runs great.

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
I'm a Mac user myself and I wonder how well Magi-sign or Flexi runs on a Mac/Intel right now, I heard there are some issues with Adobe CS2 running the only marginally faster or the same speed on Mac/Intel than the Power PC version. Adobe is working on CS3 that will make full use of the Mac/Intel architecture.

I'm going to upgrade to an Intel Mac when Mac makes a desktop version in Quad form and when Adobe makes the Suite more Intel freindly and then we should see huge speed enahncements....just waiting around till it happens.

Macs are great machines BUT your boss is accustomed to the PC. Even though, the newer Intel-driven Macs can run OS-X AND XP, so there should be no compatibility issues as before.

Our next machine may just very well end up being an Intel-Mac, if the reliability standards are kept up.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
So what happens if you run XP on an Intel-Mac and go on the internet or receive email and contact worms, virii, malware, spyware etc.?

Don't laugh. Everybody thought that Mac was immune and they just found out that they are not. As they, Macs, increase in popularity again, they too will become a target, as good 'ol Bill was.

Bennett

We do a mix of vinyl cutting and large format printing. I run versaworks for ripping with the majority of design done in Illustrator. I use Corel sometimes.

I do most of the design for vinyl cut work, and all design for printing. I would prefer to design on the Mac, but being able to cut / print directly from it would be a huge bonus.

One of the reasons for getting a Mac here is to save me from driving ... I have to run home sometimes to convert files. Its not a lot of driving, but it does interupt my work flow.

Derf

Hell, As cheap as computers are now just get one of each.

We have 3 Macs and 3 PC's (well more like 5 PCs put only 3 are alive) the others are for parts.

I will say one thing... my power MAC G3 from 1998 still works (slow as hell). I even over clocked it... I have never had to change a part.... Now that's a Damn good computer.

My power book G4 from 2000 I still use on a regular bases and it has never had a problem.

It's not to say Apple has not had problems because the first iMac was a POS and the aluminum power books had some issues with the battery but over all it seems Like I get a new PC every 2 years and I get a new power MAC every 5.

And yes I sure there will be some one who will figure out how to get past OSX then the Unix root to get to the Intel chip set but it will be a tough crack.

I have a feeling if apple wants to bust out and beat down the PC market they will probably need build in virus and spy protection in the OS that works so customers do not have to go through the debacle PC owners have now with 3rd party Spyware and Virus protection that needs up dating every morning.

Mike Paul

Super Active Member
Bennett said:
Hello everyone!

The owner is deciding on a new computer ... between a PC and a Mac ... My vote is for Mac (I have a Mac at home).

What software can we use for vinyl cutting on a new Mac (we don't want to run Windows on it). The only program I want to avoid is Flexisign ... for two reasons ... I hate flexisign (topic for another day) ... and the second is that we run Signlab on our other 3 PCs.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

I've never had a Mac but the people who do sure love & swear by them.
However when a bug or issue arises in sign software/programs the pc version tends to be fixed or updated way before the Mac.

DanSSK

Not to contribute to hijacking, but as they stated since the Mac is becoming more and more popular, they are in for a rude awaking on the virus/sopy front. The infrastructure isn't there on the anti virus and protection front. As bugs are found and exploited they will hit hard.

Macs have lived in relative obscurity for years, but they are on the radar now. just wait...

btw- I like Mac, not bashing it :)

Checkers

Hiya Bill,
Whatever you buy, just make sure you can get support for it. Downtime bacause of computer issues can be quite costly.
I really want a MAC, but I don't have access to local tech support resources that can get me back up and running when it crashes. And it's not a question of "IF" because both systems will eventually have issues.
The other issue you'll have to deal with is software. I'm not sure if you can upgrade older PC design software to newer MAC versions without having to buy a full license. So, even though a MAC may be a better option for you, the bottom line may not be so good for your boss.

Checkers