• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

New Gold Vinyl gone bad

decalman

My customer just informed me that the gold decal I made him ( 6 months ago) is now decomposing.
I warned him about the short life span of gold Oracle 651, but 6 months is something fishy going on.
This vinyl is supposed to go 4 years. Not 6 months.

I instructed him not to wax it, and he didn't. I also advised him to use protector 303, uv protector, and he did.
Could this be a defective roll? Many thanks :smile:

Attachments

• AAndy.jpg
    AAndy.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 106

Techman

calendared vinyl,, never trust it for long term especially outdoors. . It is still stuck so it is not failing,, that is what they will tell you.

Used to be that silver and gold and chrome was never good for outdoors. It beleive that still stands.

SignosaurusRex

Looks like an 'Exposure' and 'Wet Application' issue, combined...Not product failure. 'Metalics' are the worst, especially when 'Calendared' vinyls are used for exterior applications on vehicles.
If this discoloration is only evident on one side, I'd bet it is on the side with a greater 'southern exposure'.

decalman

Looks like an 'Exposure' and 'Wet Application' issue, combined...Not product failure. 'Metalics' are the worst, especially when 'Calendared' vinyls are used for exterior applications on vehicles.
If this discoloration is only evident on one side, I'd bet it is on the side with a greater 'southern exposure'.

Yes, your correct, about this being the sunny side, but its been only 6 months.
I applied this dry, I think. I might have spayed a little water. Can you please elaborate/

Billct2

Some Metallics (and reflectives) will react to trapped moisture. Often looks like it got moldy under the surface

J Hill Designs

tech sheet for 651 says 4 years exterior for the metallics, but it also says 'For short- and medium-term markings"

so yeah, not for long term graphics

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
The image in the original post shows classic sunburn. Usually it takes longer than six months but six months is not unheard of either. However long it takes, that is the fate of all vinyl left out in the sun and weather. It's doubtful that there's anything wrong with the vinyl, it's just vinyl being vinyl.

decalman

I am starting to theorize, that its water that didn't release, and now moldy. ( theory )
6 months is too short of time for this to happen.
I will charge the ( nice guy) customer for materials and shipping, and mail it to him.

I got another customer that wants this gold too. I will give him a double warning and a single disclaimer. :rolleyes:

J Hill Designs

I am starting to theorize, that its water that didn't release, and now moldy. ( theory )
6 months is too short of time for this to happen.
I will charge the ( nice guy) customer for materials and shipping, and mail it to him.

I got another customer that wants this gold too. I will give him a double warning and a single disclaimer. :rolleyes:

or use cast products for exterior long term use???

fresh

Avery CAST metallics do this too. It has nothing to do with cal or cast.

fresh

we don't have good luck with any metallic or "gold" vinyl outdoors. the vinyl doesn't fail, but it burns, just like in your picture. we warn our customers that metallics don't work great on vehicles and we won't guarantee it.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
I agree with Fresh...... We have seen this on metallics here. Especially the Avery "Ultra" metallics that look like boat paint. That stuff will start going literally within a year usually down here in the south on black police cars.... yeah that's a pretty specific description because I know it as fact (and non of it was wet applied on all 40 cars). Regular metallic silver seems to hold up much better and both actually hold much better for a few years when laminated. On any new gold or silver metallic we sell here we have been adding 3M 8548G laminate into the costs just to help assure it lasts for a reasonable amount of time.

ExecuPrintGS

peoples posts about metallics in this thread kind of take me back. In the past 5 years i've done countless metallic silver and gold graphics on trucks and trailers and most of them look as good as the day they were installed when they bring them back to get stripped so they can sell them and upgrade. We are doing a trailer next week in all metallic, this will be the 2nd one for the same client with no issues. Oracal 951 silver grey metallic.

Snydo

Does it help to laminate it with some Oracal 290g or equivalent?

It would definitely decrease UV degradation, so yes it would help for sure.

Comparing 651 to 951 is like comparing a Chevette to a Corvette. 951 costs roughly 3 times more for a reason.

Dark Fox

651 failure

Correct me if I'm wrong. But it looks like the vinyl is on an RV. Truck maybe? This vinyl will not last long on vehicles. The washing, the polishing, and the elements will all play a part on this. Plus to get your warranty, the manufacturer will ask for a sample of the "failing" roll. They will test it and see if it fails. 3M does the same thing.
Even regular colors fade rapidly when it's calendared vinyl.