• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

New guy from Illinois

bnorris86

Hello all, I'm Brandon from Ottawa, IL. Other than doing my own sketches for graphics and applying vinyl graphics to my racecars and go-karts, I have no experience in this industry. I was recently laid off from my job as a design engineer and after much consideration and debate, I have decided to become my own boss! I have always been drawn to the artistic side of designing graphics and have many times thought of starting my own graphics business, but have always been scared to take the leap.I am ready now. Signs 101 has been a very good resource for me to this point and I have spent many hours looking over the content. I know most questions have been asked before so I will be using the search function as I know everyone's time is valuable. When I first decided to get in to this, I was convinced I needed to get a printer cutter and a laminator so that I could do vehicle wraps (keep in mind I have no experience). Well after looking at everyone's great advice, I have decided to just get some design software and a heat press for t-shirts and sub out the rest of the work. This will allow me to get in for a minimal expense, see if I am cut out for this, and to see if there is a strong enough market in my area (there are several others doing signs already). I really want to have some production capabilities so I want to at least get a plotter to do my own vinyl work in addition to the heat press for t-shirts. I believe I have some fresh ideas that aren't being done in this area, that could give me a competitive advantage. They aren't original, just not done here. So thats my intro, I look forward to working with everyone on here! I appreciate everyone's advice in advance!!!

Thank You
Brandon

Joe Diaz

Welcome from Pontiac, IL... not too far away from you.

It sounds like you have great plan!, Start small and build yourself up. Hopefully you will find even more help on this site.

Good luck and welcome!

Jackpine

Welcome to the group. The Graphtec CE5000 24" is a great place to start with a quality cutter at a reasonable price.

Techman

welcome aboard.. glad to have ya around

Also you are in my region. IF you get a chance please PM to me yoru contact info.
Real name phone addy etc.. thank you