• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

New Guy from PA, knows nothing

jimhenry2000

No. Cut lettering can be a prespaced line of copy or multiple lines depending on the preferences of the one doing the installing. One letter at a time would defeat the whole purpose of doing a layout first.

For you to ask such a question would indicate to me that you do not understand the methodology of prespaced cut vinyl lettering; weeding; and application of transfer paper. I would suggest you research those items.

Looks like there was a differing answer to that earlier than yours, but I take your point. I am here to read and learn. Thanks!

Keith Rae

Welcome to the form.
maybe should go to Walmart and buy a Cricut to get a little practice and understand the process.

BANNERS2GO

Good Luck with your new sign business!! Try going to youtube and looking for instructional videos. Reading about what to do doesn't help that much if you have no idea what you are doing. It is not a get rich quick business. It is very labor intensive with long hours.

SignManiac

The sign industry is saturated with so many relatively new people getting into it who started out with the same intentions as you. The problem being, the value of most sign products you can sell, most of them being commodities are price driven. By that I mean driven into the ground.

If you would like to dabble in this as a fun hobby then you'll most likely enjoy it. If you are considering this a potential career and expect to make a good living at it, I wouldn't count on that too much.

If you want to take it to a serious level with a chance of making a modest living, expect to invest a sizable amount of money and an even larger amount in education and the years that it takes to acquire that education.

Keep researching because you will have a huge amount of obstacles to overcome. I've been doing this full time for 36 years and knowing what I know today, I wouldn't bother. There are a million other easier ways to make a buck and this is a cut throat business. But nothing I or anyone else can tell you will change your mind. Some times we just have learn things the hard way and either sink or swim. Best of luck on your journey.

OldPaint

GOOGLE MAGNETICS............ and see how CHEAP they are to buy. and you made mention of not forgetting the BRUSH AND PAINT.............well with you educational level, you are still in for a LONG LEARNING PERIOD.......and the only way you can really lean this ....IS HANDS ON FROM SOME ONE WITH THE SKILLS. we are getting hard to find................and most who are in this nowadays, cant draw a stick figure........WITHOUT A COMPUTER & CLIPART. so your venturing into something more to "have the experience" then it would be to MAKE BIG DOLLARS.
iam an old PAINTER, learned the vinyl/cutter/computer. i have a small printer. AND VERY LITTLE BUSINESS............ and been doing this most of my life past 40!!!! iam 64 now............and have seen the DECLINE of a trade where being artistic and ability to draw was a given......to do this work.
have fun...........

3dsignco

Enough of the Negatives and BS. You have to start someplace. If you want learn you need to do some reading. Here are some good references to get you started.. Listed in order of importance. (In my opinion) There's a bunch more but these will get you started.. Best of Luck
Bill

http://bookstore.stmediagroup.com/book.aspx?pid=075&SearchType2=RelatedBooks&Key2=075

http://bookstore.stmediagroup.com/book.aspx?pid=009&SearchType2=RelatedBooks&Key2=009

http://www.signcraft.com/home.aspx (Subscribe)

http://www.signcraft.com/store/product.aspx?pid=381

http://www.signs101.com/viewcategory.php?moduleid=75 FREE Downloads if your a Premium Member of signs 101.

PGSigns

That reading list is a good one and it will be a big help to you. One of the things that may help you in developing your new business is a plan. First look at what is the demand in your area for various types of signs and sign related services. How many new businesses are opening in your area that may need signage? How many businesses in your area are making capital investments in new equipment that may need lettering? What is the condition overall of the signage in your area and what types of signs could use repair? Is there an industerial base in your area that may use signage for safety or other uses? What services area already available in your area and how well are the established businesses doing? Is there a need for more suppliers in the market to meet the demand? Look at this for at least 25 miles around you. This will help you decide the types of products in your area that you may be able to provide and a place to start. In my area it would not be a good time to get into signs. More places are closing than opening in the small bussiness area, there are more empty store fronts than in the last ten years, few folks I know are buying new equipment for there business unless they have to, the other shops in the area that I deal with have been slower than in the past and hoping for a better year this year. Do your research and build a good business case for the type of work you need to do to meet your plan and good luck with it.
Jimmy

letterman7

Hi Jim,
Well... I certainly won't discourage you from getting into the biz... in fact, if you wanted to use me as a sub for jobs I'd be glad to help. With so many shops in our area competing, it only makes sense to have some as a sales source. PM me if you want to stop by to see what it takes to do what you want, material and equipment-wise.

BobM

The reading list is a great way to get started. Subscribing to the premium section on Signs 101 gives you even more "real life" information about the business.

No matter what new business you research on forums, you'll hear about "not getting rich in that particular business". All careers take effort, skill, determination, knowledge growth and have long learning curves. Those with a carefully crafted and realistic plan can and do succeed. Those that get in to "get rich quick" are generally the first to close up and jump on another bandwagon.

Good luck and welcome to Signs 101 from Cape of Cod.

Marlene

What I do have is a daughter and a son in law who are graphic design artists by vocation and VERY talented, whom I am hoping to sub-contract out work to.

at least you have that going for you.

read threads here as there is a ton of info

subcribe to trade magazines "Sign Craft" is the best as you not only get great how to's, you also get a pricing guide to help give you an idea of what to charge. also, there are supplier contacts which you will need. "Sign Builder" is also very good. "Signs of the Times" deals more with illuminated signs and the tech end of the business and may not as much help.

as far as equipment goes, equiment is talked about around here a lot so you should be able to get info on the site plus the trade mags do reviews all the time which will come in handy.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Welcome from down the road a piece................................

You say you're not from Honey Brook originally, so from where do you hail ??​

PM me if ya need anything. :thumb:

heyskull

Well this is how I set up on my own.

I have worked in the sign industry for 17 years (straight from school) a friend of mine reckoned there was an opening for a sign shop where he was (45 miles away) and he had all the equipment and machinery (monumental mason plotter, programmes, etc.).
Instant sign shop!

10 years into it now and if I could make the decision again I wouldn't do it.
I decided about 3 years ago if anyone set up another sign business in the local area I would just pack it all in.
It has just happened and I am seriously thinking of doing what I threatened.
Their is little enough business where I'm at and if there was any competition I wouldn't eat!!!!!

My advice if you have a unique business that their is a need for and no one else is doing locally have a go.
But if your customers are just trying to find a cheaper source for your product well believe me don't do it.
As a sign business we have the great opportunity to see the businesses that will work and the ones that crumble within 2 years.
I have been through my list of businesses that have set up in the 10 years I have been out here (and there are 100's) only 32 are still trading!
These are hard times for all of us I just don't want anyone getting into this line of business and thinking it is a way of printing your own money. coz it ain't!!!!

SC

Techman

LEarn how to market a business. Marketing is not just advertising.
Otherwise keep working as an employee..

GoodPeopleFlags

I don't understand why, if you "already have a good job", would you want to start a business that you know nothing about? I would suggest getting a job at a sign shop that will let you work around your "good job" so you can see what it's all about before you start buying equipment and coming here to ask us how to run it and how to make a sign.

There are 2 reasons people start a business: 1) because they just want to run a business or 2) because they love the work. You admit you don't know what the job entails so you don't know that you'll love it. If you just want to run a business, you should know more about the sign business before picking it. Sorry if I sound harsh.

jimhenry2000

Enough of the Negatives and BS. You have to start someplace. If you want learn you need to do some reading. Here are some good references to get you started.. Listed in order of importance. (In my opinion) There's a bunch more but these will get you started.. Best of Luck
Bill

http://bookstore.stmediagroup.com/book.aspx?pid=075&SearchType2=RelatedBooks&Key2=075

http://bookstore.stmediagroup.com/book.aspx?pid=009&SearchType2=RelatedBooks&Key2=009

http://www.signcraft.com/home.aspx (Subscribe)

http://www.signcraft.com/store/product.aspx?pid=381

http://www.signs101.com/viewcategory.php?moduleid=75 FREE Downloads if your a Premium Member of signs 101.

Bill, Thanks very much for the HELPFUL links!
Jim