• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

New Guy from TX

Jays

Im a new member on here lookin for some guidance and info on printing decals. Im wanting to get a plotter for some PPF i currently do but would also like the option to cut vinyl stickers and or window tint. So id basically like an All In One. Im leaning towards the Graphtech or the Roland and at this point i have enough to purchase either one. The only thing i dont get is how do people get access to files that print like a Car logo or racing stripes? I also have the whole Adobe CS5.5 and can use it but i dont design for a living so im not really too worried about that. But if i eventually get my own shop id like to print my own logos and maybe have my brother design them cause he has the Corel program.

thanks

401Graphics

welcome from RI.
I prefer a seprate cutter & printer. i have a mutoh printer and graphtec cutter. i have used a roland sp300v and xc540. wasnt as impressed as i am now with my current set up.

you can get free vector logos at brandsoftheworld.com and graphics at vecteezy.com

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
I'm not quite sure from your post whether or not you are using the term print in place of cut or plot. If you are looking to do both, then you need a print and cut system as well as a laminator. The usual brands considered for such a setup are Roland, Mutoh, Mimaki, Hewlett Packard and Epson. Entry level investment, not counting materials, for new equipment starts at around $15K and can get up to $30K or more very quickly.

As far as logos, be sure you get familiar with copyright and trademark laws that govern their use and reproduction. In basic terms, reproducing any mark is only legal when you have permission to do so from the owner or their authorized representatives. In other words, you can do a Chevy logo for your local Chevy dealer but you are infringing on Chevrolet's rights if you do it for a customer off the street who just wants it on his back window. Do not assume because others do it that it is OK for you to also do it.

You can purchase logo collections here and there. Most will have you sign an agreement that relieves them of any legal responsibility should you decide to produce unauthorized versions and get sued or prosecuted. You can also, subject to the same disclaimers, download logos from a number of websites such as Brands of the World. Keep in mind that you are dealing with other people's intellectual property and many mark owners will come after you for misuse. My advice is not to look at logos as any kind of a profit center for your business.

Good luck to you.

Salmoneye

You can do anything in 5.5 that you can do in Corel. Might be a little different method but both will basically do the same thing.

Jays

thanks for the welcome. Yeah my main business is detailing & paint protection film, however i do get the occasional customer that ask for racing stripes and such. I just dont know if theres a database to use the stock layout and cut it on my own plotter in lets say 1080 charcoal. I also get some customers asking to cut decals for like a fridge or something nothing too fancy. I know those logos are trade marked i just didnt know if there was a program to buy which has all makes n models to replicate what a customer would want to replace for any reason. Or do i need to go into another program and try to make it on my own.

Thanks again

Ken

Welcome from BC.
I vote for Graphtec plotter. My FC 5000 is pretty good but I never have used the optical positioning feature.
Cheers!
Ken

Tint Guru

Jays, If your main business is window tint, your golden there. I've spent 21 years reaping those profits.

PAINT PROTECTION FILM (PPF) is good if you can find the customer, just like residential/commercial tint.

My specialty is automotive, and if your good at that you know the profits.

My advice is to seriously consider how long it will take you to learn the pitfalls and profits of the sign business ONLY to find out you were better off tinting windows!!!

Only you can answer. What does three rolls of film at 40" and a red dot give you?

Welcome brother, But my guess is your going to find that tint trumps vinyl. TG

Cutting tint with a plotter will NOT make you faster. It will make you slower. Unless you have 2-3 guys working under you as you cut the tint with the plotter, your simply wasting your time.

That said, vinly is not a bad move. When days are slow it's a fall back. CP

Last edited: