• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

New Guy who enjoys and respects the art of sign making

toadstoys5

:thankyou:Hey guys my name is Tom I currently work as a contract professional which means I'm away from home 90% of the time. I'm trying to find a job locally (Kansas City area) in my current field but have a much greater desire to get in the sign making craft. I figure I can use my own stuff as "guinea pigs" untuil I (hopefully) reach a point of reasonable proficiency to perform other work. My family is involved in small time Mini-Sprint racing and have a blast doing it. I also dabble with the model boat hobby so have a direct need with regards to lettering. I've had a very difficult time finding someone who is local to me to letter our racing stuff especially who approaches it professionally meaning gets it done in a reasonable amount of time etc. The last time I had some stuff over there to get lettered it took nearly 5 weeks and my sponsor (guy who helps us out) was wondering why his name wasn't on the car as promised. Well my point is I'm a customer and I can really appreciate what guys in the business and customers need and when they need it so I'd really like to try and get started in this craft as

#1) I enjoy it and i just think it a very interesting/rewarding craft
#2) I think I can do a darn good job of representing the trade
#3) I'm creative and have allot of ideas on designs and color schemes etc.

The bottom line is I think its cool stuff (always have) and really want to learn how and perhaps give myself and my Son's an opportunity to do something cool together and maybe help us afford our hobbies while helping others as well.

I'm asking for feedback from the many talented pro's of this forum as I'm lost with regards to what a guy needs to get started doing vehicle graphics etc. There are so many brands and many different configurations of equipment (be it new or used) that a guy could easily spend a heck of allot of money getting exactly what he doesn't need.

I would be happy to buy someone's dinner or whatever if I could get some feedback it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Tom & Sons

Last edited:

Locals Find!

So let me get this right. You want the guys on here to tell you how to make signs because, you don't want to do business with the local shops?

Then after telling all these guys and gals that. You want them to hold your hand and tell you what to buy, where to buy it and how to do it???

Seriously????? Did you not read the BIG NOTICE when you first arrived at this site.

"If you are making or are seeking to make signs and graphic products for your own needs, you have entered a community where you are not welcome. Please do not attempt to register."

Please don't insult anyone any further and just go away.

Patrick46

WOW!!!^^^^^

I remember when I was first looking into becoming a sign guy...don't YOU??? So why did YOU get into this field??

(Toadstoy5...Please ignore the inconsiderate feedback from posts like that)

30 years ago...I didn't havce resources like the net & these forums to ask questions. He's just asking the same questions I was at the time. I just wish I knew where to get answers to my questions. I didn't have anyone to help guide me along.

But now that I AM here in this field, let me say this...

Toad, you might wanna get yourself a subscription to SIgnCraft magazine. It deals directly with what you wanna know and has tips for beginers too. It's a great resource of information and visual imput into the world of signmaking & vehicle graphics. So start there.

Then...go find a hot-rod shop in your area, (actually, check several) and inquire who they use for hand lettering & pinstriping. Hook up with this guy, and get to know him.

First...he'll be the guy you want to letter your racecar...'cause these are the guys who are real motorheads and share the same interests & passions as you do. So that's who you wanna deal with.

Plus, this guy will give you some first hand ideas of what this job intitles.
(It's NOT ALL fun & games you know!) See if he'd be kind enough to let you watch him while he works.

Don't worry about buying all kinds of expensive equipment just yet. Learn what this job is all about first!!!

OK...so there's your starting points. You've got your homework...no go do it.

Locals Find!

WOW!!!^^^^^

I remember when I was first looking into becoming a sign guy...don't YOU??? So why did YOU get into this field??

(Toadstoy5...Please ignore the inconsiderate feedback from posts like that)

30 years ago...I didn't havce resources like the net & these forums to ask questions. He's just asking the same questions I was at the time. I just wish I knew where to get answers to my questions. I didn't have anyone to help guide me along.

But now that I AM here in this field, let me say this...

Toad, you might wanna get yourself a subscription to SIgnCraft magazine. It deals directly with what you wanna know and has tips for beginers too. It's a great resource of information and visual imput into the world of signmaking & vehicle graphics. So start there.

Then...go find a hot-rod shop in your area, (actually, check several) and inquire who they use for hand lettering & pinstriping. Hook up with this guy, and get to know him.

First...he'll be the guy you want to letter your racecar...'cause these are the guys who are real motorheads and share the same interests & passions as you do. So that's who you wanna deal with.

Plus, this guy will give you some first hand ideas of what this job intitles.
(It's NOT ALL fun & games you know!) See if he'd be kind enough to let you watch him while he works.

Don't worry about buying all kinds of expensive equipment just yet. Learn what this job is all about first!!!

OK...so there's your starting points. You've got your homework...no go do it.

Patrick, he openly admitted he wants to get into the business to do his own work. Not to become one of us.

That goes against what this Forum is about. He isn't trying to become a sign guy he wants to do his own work instead of going to the local guys in his community.

How would you feel about it if a customer came into your shop and said "Hey I don't wanna pay you anymore can you tell me what to buy and how to do it" You would throw him out on his ear.

Now your telling this guy to go talk to someone and basically lie to them and get him to agree to let him watch. What does the local guy get out of this?? He is going to show someone how to take money out of his wallet and food out of his families mouth. All, because this guy wants to save a few dollars.

This guy is insulting all the hardworking people on this forum who are fighting just to keep their doors open and their families fed. While having to fight off scum like this and internet lowballers.

Fitch

Welcome Tom

Before the posts go mostly against you, I think your post is a little ambiguous as to where you want to END UP in the sign trade.

What area of the sign trade - hand painted, digital, vinyl, dimensional?

If you clarify you may have a few go "easier" on you.

What design skills do you have? Have you "designed" a sign yet ? If so... let's see. Always good to see (mock even) artwork before one buys a sh*t load of equipment and programs.

There are quite a few "free" limited design programs available on the net if you do not have anything yet.

Welcome from Sydney Australia.

CheapVehicleWrap

:thankyou:Hey guys my name is Tom I currently work as a contract professional which means I'm away from home 90% of the time. I'm trying to find a job locally (Kansas City area) in my current field but have a much greater desire to get in the sign making craft. I figure I can use my own stuff as "guinea pigs" untuil I (hopefully) reach a point of reasonable proficiency to perform other work. My family is involved in small time Mini-Sprint racing and have a blast doing it. I also dabble with the model boat hobby so have a direct need with regards to lettering. I've had a very difficult time finding someone who is local to me to letter our racing stuff especially who approaches it professionally meaning gets it done in a reasonable amount of time etc. The last time I had some stuff over there to get lettered it took nearly 5 weeks and my sponsor (guy who helps us out) was wondering why his name wasn't on the car as promised. Well my point is I'm a customer and I can really appreciate what guys in the business and customers need and when they need it so I'd really like to try and get started in this craft as

#1) I enjoy it and i just think it a very interesting/rewarding craft
#2) I think I can do a darn good job of representing the trade
#3) I'm creative and have allot of ideas on designs and color schemes etc.

The bottom line is I think its cool stuff (always have) and really want to learn how and perhaps give myself and my Son's an opportunity to do something cool together and maybe help us afford our hobbies while helping others as well.

I'm asking for feedback from the many talented pro's of this forum as I'm lost with regards to what a guy needs to get started doing vehicle graphics etc. There are so many brands and many different configurations of equipment (be it new or used) that a guy could easily spend a heck of allot of money getting exactly what he doesn't need.

I would be happy to buy someone's dinner or whatever if I could get some feedback it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Tom & Sons

Tom & Sons, would be GLAD to help. As far as dinner, I know a GREAT place in the city. PM me.

GypsyGraphics

The last time I had some stuff over there to get lettered it took nearly 5 weeks and my sponsor (guy who helps us out) was wondering why his name wasn't on the car as promised. Well my point is I'm a customer and I can really appreciate what guys in the business and customers need and when they need it so I'd really like to try and get started in this craft

Tom, i'd like to address just this part of your post, because i find it an interesting indicator as to the kind of customer you might be and/or your actual understanding of the business.

How is it that your sponsors name didn't end up on the car as promised? If you promised him it would be there, why wasn't it? Did you approve the job and then not realize until your sponsor brought it to your attention, that his name was missing?

I know those few lines were not intended to be the focus of your post... but it's the example you chose to share and i'd like to hear more about that job. I think either as a customer or as a person interested in the sign business... you seems to be overlooking your responsibility to see that the job is done right.

Seems to me you are simply an unhappy customer who thinks he can do it better himself.... and maybe you can... but a far cry from being ready for prime time in the sign business (which to your credit you do acknowledge). Probably at this point, more accurate to express your interest as DIY...
so, lot's to learn, so much more that just what equipment to buy.

I wish you well in the learning process.

welcome from sunny california!
-gg

Last edited:

Patrick46

Alright...so I didn't read his post clearly enough the first time....MY BAD!!!

I thought his intention was to become a signguy...(not that anyone in their right mind would want to...) :doh: :toasting:

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Okay folks.... can I say it now ?? :wink:

Welcome from PA.........................................................................................​

Marlene

buy a CirCut. it will have what you need to make your own stuff for your own use. it sounds like you are near a large enough market to find a good sign shop so I would suggest doing that if all you want is a good job done. it sounds like you plan on learning on yourself and then becoming a sign maker once you get good at it. my guess is to sell to your fellow racers. if you are looking for help, I think a hobby site might be a better place to get it than here.

HulkSmash

So let me get this right. You want the guys on here to tell you how to make signs because, you don't want to do business with the local shops?

Then after telling all these guys and gals that. You want them to hold your hand and tell you what to buy, where to buy it and how to do it???

Seriously????? Did you not read the BIG NOTICE when you first arrived at this site.

"If you are making or are seeking to make signs and graphic products for your own needs, you have entered a community where you are not welcome. Please do not attempt to register."

Please don't insult anyone any further and just go away.

I've come to the conclusion you have very few friends and you hate life. Always on here spewing hatred.

Locals Find!

I've come to the conclusion you have very few friends and you hate life. Always on here spewing hatred.

I have plenty of friends and I really like life. I hate stupid people. I hate people that insult my intelligence and those around me. Thinking they can pull a fast one.

I do post positive remarks when and where I can, but I am not going to sit back and let some guy insult us thinking he can pull a fast one.