• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

New Here, Doin' Vinyl Since 1998

iSign

I know I'm giving it away.

What else can I do? I have to eat. I have to pay a mortgage.

I always have work in the shop and I know why, I'm too cheap.

well... it looks like you learned something here.

People can enjoy jumping in the fray for the occassional mob mentality flame throwing... but at the end of the day, we mostly enjoy getting to know & respect each other. You already seem like you would rather fit in then fan the flames... but the transition from one to the other is not seamless. Nevertheless, I think you realize that you can learn from folks here.

It's not like there's no middle of the road between what cheap customers may consider highway robbery... & what serious signshops consider lowballing scum... there is a middle of the road, & that would be a price that some people walk away from. You sound like you are used to giving prices that everyone goes for... which means that almost every single one of them would have paid more if asked.

You want to push those prices up until you start getting some people leaving... then push a little more... & lose a few more jobs... then maybe consider holding right there & make the same money, for less work & don't worry about the ones you lose... they were the best ones to lose.

kgirl

Sometimes this just leaves my time watching soapnet as a bottom feeder.....
av-50556.gif

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Thanks.... I was only trying to understand and help.

In case you don’t know…. these titles are really fake. My real title is ‘Janitor’.

Your cleverness astounds me. Since you don’t need any help and think you have a handle on everything, may I ask, what you’re doing here at:signs101: then ??
If it’s not to share with the rest of the community, might it be to take whatever you can and be rude ?? If so, you’re doing swell.

Also, don’t feel sorry for me, I have real friends that can help me with that, if and when I need it. Please don’t offer anymore of your shallow attempts of denouement. Your apologies aren’t even needed in this place. No one requires an apology from such a contemptible person such as you.

If you don’t care about how others view you, why are you going to such extremes when they try to help you, show you kind words or advice ??

If you only want to charge ‘cheap’… is you’re real goal to stay in that way and form of life…. the rest of your life. With such a bleak outlook as how to really move forward you evidently intend to stay where you’re at and never move up to the next rung.

I feel sorry for you, but your statement of ‘not caring’ makes sense now.

Good Luck…..

ps…. some day, you’ll remember this……..

player

I like when I get paid a whole bunch and it takes me little time to earn it. By being smart, experienced, fast and very good at artwork.

I also only like to work on larger ticket items. I don't do jobs under $100 if I can help it. Most of the work that you put into a $20 sign is the same as a $200 sign.

-have phone space etc.
-talk to customer
-write up order and put it into system
-do layout, print and or email
-get confirmation in writing or redue layout
-order material or use current stock
-cut sign board, inspect and sand edges etc
-load plotter / printer and cut material
etc...

Sometimes we can get so busy mooring little dingys that the big ships just float on by...

Player

gvgraphics

I am amazed, he still hasn't answered my questions from a few post back where he says he never said anything wrong, then doesn't answer Gino or where he is from, Can he be honest at all? Here is your chance to come clean man, Its all on you now!!!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Okay, is this for real ???

Is there really such a thing as an 'Ignore' button ??

Mark L

I know I'm giving it away. What else can I do? I have to eat. I have to pay a mortgage. I have to hire someone soon and probably to my detriment. I always have work in the shop and I know why, I'm too cheap.

signedmylifeaway
Answer me this "straight"!

If you could would you like to get more for your work??

Mike Paul

Super Active Member
About 90% of my work comes from a 50-75 mile radius, more to my south and east than north or west. About 10% comes from way beyond the immediate area.
I have no choice but to compete or fail. Right now, the thing that works for me is fast food mentality. Grab the small stuff. Then say "you wanna super size that?" I often switch a buyer from a small banner to a medium sized banner. I know I'm giving it away. What else can I do? .

Well then 90% of your work would also be in my area... :rolleyes:... and there are many customers willing to pay for quality Signs, Truck Lettering, and Logos.
If you've been in business for 7 years and the majority of your work is wackin' out low-end coro signs and banners you could be in for a rough ride for a long time. You really need to pick up some books on layout & design; polish your skills, and start selling higher end jobs based on your design skills when you improve. There's always room for improvement and it doesn't happen over night.

I answer everything "straight" other project their frustrations into me and that's too bad.

Would I like to charge more? Sure. I charge a little more than some folks on Google do. In the past few years I've watched one go from about $4.00 per sq. ft. to $3.00 for 13oz white.

I sell 10 oz white at $3 per sq. ft. I sell 10 oz color at $3.50 per sq. ft. I will not make a banner larger than 24 sq. ft. on 10 oz. I sell 13 oz white for $3.75 and 13 oz color for $4.25 per sq. ft. Banners are my number one item by far.

This week so far, I've sold eight 3x12's, two 3x10's and a 2x10. I have quotes out for several others as large as 4x20. The 4x20 I quoted $380. That's on 19 oz from Fellers rather than my cheaper vendor. I went lower than I'm comfortable with, but I don't want to lose the job. On the web, there's people making them for $249. I'm not in the position to let a $380 sale go away. Even at my bargain prices, I'm going to clear $250 on it. Not bad for 2-3 hours work. Would I like to clear $350 instead? Sure. At the same point, right now, I'll go as low as an even $300 if need be. It's still good money for the amount of work involved.

iSign

I sold a 4x9 Banner yesterday for $675.
It was a rush job, from artwork on file from their previous order... which was a 2x5 banner for $200.

load banner, click on "print", cut off roll, trim edges & grommet.

...could they have bought it online for $100? probably so... could they have had it with them on the plane this morning, 18 hours after ordering it? NO!

skyhigh

OK... this is getting old.

Lets talk about the funniest post so far. Here is my choice.

GO AWAY...you being offended....is like a SKUNK WHO THINKS HE DONT STINK................and i dont care how you see anything....

Just the "GO AWAY" part was funny.:Big Laugh

My #2 funny was getting ripped for my spelling instead of OP. :peace!:

I see your in the USA too..... I guess that narrows it down a bit.

Knowing what part of the US you hail from, may give me an indication as to what kinda fish you are.

Maybe if you wern't a bottom feeder, you could have bought a solvent printer and cutter in 2003?

BFLT........probably.

I really slaughtered that one......:rolleyes:

gvgraphics

I dont think there is anything wrong with his "fast food" idea I just dont think he should be offering the "Dollar Menu".

Having a :beer for Gino,(yes its old mil man!).

iSign

this quote was pretty funny!

We did some signs for a car lot last week and when we deilvered them the owner said that they looked good but wished we had used a different vehicle, I told him your wife designed and brought this to us with instuctions not to change, he said Sorry it looks great.

OldPaint

First, try 2 hours from NYC. Try $1 for a coffee. Cheap apartment is about $700. I purchased a 1200 sf home on .25 acres for $90,000 in 1999. Today I could sell it for about twice that, maybe. This house is 78 years old. The median income in my county is $44,000, and this part ain't the good part.

Do me a favor, know what you are talking about before you put your foot in your mouth... again.
I WAS SAYIN WHAT THE COST ARE IN NEW YORK CITY BOZO!!!! PAY ATTENTION AND LEARN TO READ.
now you wana talk POVERTY, LOW WAGES???? 1st off iam orginally from a little corner of PA......washington co. AVELLA/BURGETTSTOWN AREA.
now i lived there thill 1980.....and you wana see poverty, all the coal mines are closed, steel mills shut down, men who spent most of their lifes workin these places...CANT GET THE PENSIONS THEY WAS PROMISED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
i now live in PENSACOLA, FL. 17% of the population live in abject poverty!!!!!! country/city workers/teachers here ARE THE NEAR THE LOWEST PAID IN 48 STATES!!!!
we had hurricane IVAN SEPT 2004....you want to talk devestation....I AM STILL CLEANING UP FROM THAT STORM!!
but i charge FOR MY WORK.....and you need to HIRE HELP??????
its because youre so greedy and stupid NOT TO CHARGE MORE......sure youre gona get the work.....ill need youre phone number so i can call and have you make stuff for me AT YOURE PRICES...and even with shipping ILL MAKE MONEY....from youre labor...DODO.......
since you say you are real GET REAL FOOL......WORK SMARTER NOT HARDER.....or give me youre phone number.....and few more of us on here will have you do our work.....AND STILL CHARGE MORE THEN YOU DO!!!!