• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

New Illustration Project.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
That was simply incredible.

I don't care what the others say about you.... you're good. Damn good. Probably one of the best.

My hat is off to you. :toasting:

I'm still panting.......... :clapping:

Terremoto

That's pretty much how I'ld do it but I'ld need some kind of high performance additive in my coffee to be able to do it that fast!

Just out of curiosity, how much time (60 seconds = 1 minute) do you have into this so far and how much more do you estimate before you have it done?

Joe Diaz

That's pretty much how I'ld do it but I'ld need some kind of high performance additive in my coffee to be able to do it that fast!

Just out of curiosity, how much time (60 seconds = 1 minute) do you have into this so far and how much more do you estimate before you have it done?
The part that is sped up is 8 times faster. It is already a long video so I needed to speed it up a bit so it wasn't even longer. The first time I uploaded it the video got rejected because it was too long. (longer than 15 minutes) So I had to change a few account setting at youtubes to get it on there. When I get a new Wacom Cintiq this winter, I'm hopen it will speed up this process even more.

Oh....so the computer did all that.
Got to love technology! :Big Laugh

Thanks you all so much for the nice words, I'll post more as I go.

ForgeInc

Great stuff Joe! I had a project a while ago where we didn't have budget for photography and I did some kinda similar illustrations. I remember I just couldn't convince my client (who is actually pretty computer savvy and creative) that there is NOT a way to do that in Photoshop. That said, I appreciate how much time those things take....

Very nice, keep em coming!

Attachments

• illustration sample.jpg
    illustration sample.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 98

RobbyMac

Nice work Joe,
though I am curious about something. Why do you 'rough in' shapes and then go back to edit the nodes/curves? (As opposed to just drawing the beziers and whatnot as you go along).

Joe Diaz

Nice work Joe,
though I am curious about something. Why do you 'rough in' shapes and then go back to edit the nodes/curves? (As opposed to just drawing the beziers and whatnot as you go along).

Personal preference I guess. I can do both, I'm faster at doing it that way though.

RobbyMac

ok. I'm faster drawing it out rather than editting it later. I guess it's just personal preference, but I was thinking maybe there was more to it (like using a tablet or other input device).

It is slick... nice.

One more, I notice you have layers going on, but too small to read. you mind giving info on what the layers are?

Joe Diaz

ok. I'm faster drawing it out rather than editting it later. I guess it's just personal preference, but I was thinking maybe there was more to it (like using a tablet or other input device).

It is slick... nice.

One more, I notice you have layers going on, but too small to read. you mind giving info on what the layers are?

When I do illustration work like this, I just ignore the object manager. It's doing it's thing, but I don't really use it that much. Every shape I create is one layer higher than the last one that was created so If I really need to move it up a layer or down a layer I select the shape then press CTRL + Page Up or CTRL + Page Down. If the shape I want to move forward or back is behind another shape, then I might use the Object manager to select it, but most time I hold down Alt. then click until the shape I want is selected. Then I move it up a layer or down a layer.

Once I get something like her face done I group it all. It shows it as a grouped object in the Object Manager too. I only really use the Object manager for more complex layouts.

petesign

I was going to ask how you are using gradients to make the objects blend so smooth, especially since all of the shapes are so different... I don't use corel, instead use illustrator.... but your use of layers has me thinking, are you blending using some sort of transparency in layers instead?

Baz

Loooved the video .. Way cool.:thumb: I also wondered if it was personal preference on how you created your linework or if it was your choice of hardware/software that made you work that way.

Always inspiring watching talented people do their work.
Thanks allot for sharing it with us:toasting:

BTW. I laughed when you were working on her hair then quickly you went back to her chin for a few adjustments then back to the hair. :ROFLMAO:

Joe Diaz

I was going to ask how you are using gradients to make the objects blend so smooth, especially since all of the shapes are so different... I don't use corel, instead use illustrator.... but your use of layers has me thinking, are you blending using some sort of transparency in layers instead?

Transparencies work a little differently in Corel (I think) I haven't used Illy since I think CS2 so that might have changed. Just today I was attempting to show some other sign makers on a different forum what the transparency tools in Corel are like. I made this quick video. It's a bit crude though. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cd5V4f-vG6M&feature=feedu

But to answer your question I use a combo of both gradients and gradient transparencies. Honestly I try to avoid using the transparencies if I can and just use color gradients. Some shapes will require that I use both.

My goal is to not remove all traces of the different shapes though. I still want you to be able to look really close at the illustration to see that it is made up of all these different shapes. The gradients are just meant to smooth it out a little, not all the way. Otherwise I would the Mesh tool.

Joe Diaz

Loooved the video .. Way cool.:thumb: I also wondered if it was personal preference on how you created your linework or if it was your choice of hardware/software that made you work that way.

Yeah Corel has the Bezier tool too. I think what I like about the freehand tool is that I can either click points to make straight lines and rough in a shape, OR I can hold down the mouse button and freehand a shape. If you notice in the video I do a little bit of both. I don't have to switch tools to do this. It's all one tool.

Always inspiring watching talented people do their work.
Thanks allot for sharing it with us:toasting:
Thanks! I know I enjoy watching other designers/artists work too. It was fun watching Vector Doctor do one a while back. It was interesting to see how he used different tools.

BTW. I laughed when you were working on her hair then quickly you went back to her chin for a few adjustments then back to the hair. :ROFLMAO:
You saw that huh? LOL

Yeah I paused the screen capture software. Pulled back to look at it. And saw that I needed to tweak that area a bit. So when I unpaused it I moved to her chin then back to her hair real quick. The reality is, If I weren't recording I would probably do that a lot more. LOL