• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

New management software which is best?

ColorCrest

All around shop helper.
I've spent the last two days attending the annual (virtually, this year of course) FileMaker conference. They've requested solutions be submitted to their soon-to-be "marketplace" for review. I would consider submitting a "lite" version of what I use but I'm still waiting for the latest FileMaker management team and their policies to get settled after so many retirements last year.

FileMaker book price is $75 per month for 5 users (their minimum), for ongoing license and continual upgrades. Gets you FileMaker on 5 desktops, FileMaker Server for a machine on-premises, WebDirect from the same server, free FileMaker Go for iPads and iPhones. "Android" was announced "coming soon" but I won't be holding my breath for that. Android can connect via browser anyway.

So, buy a solution file appropriate for sign shops outright or find the wherewithal to construct your own.

ColorCrest

All around shop helper.
Years ago here at Signs101 I recommended JobPro from jobprocentral.com and I still do. Shops have used it for many years (decades, at this point) and have amortized the cost repeatedly. FileMaker still offers perpetual licenses as it was the only option when JobPro started.

It should be understood, FileMaker is a platform enabling one to create database software solutions. JobPro is a named solution. (A branded name in their case.) If you build you own solution, don't call it FileMaker. Give it a name of your own and make it your own. It may not be widely known, some familiar solutions have started on the FileMaker platform but have since migrated to others yet still carry their original name.

ColorCrest

All around shop helper.
Examples:
1) A FileMaker-provided starter file for "Invoices."
2) My modifications of the original layout based on what others seem wanting.
3) The same layout reminiscent of back-to-the-future and all too familiar to some.

Attachments

• grab1_Original.png
    grab1_Original.png
    130.4 KB · Views: 209
  • grab2_Reworked.png
    grab2_Reworked.png
    178.3 KB · Views: 191
  • grab3_Retro.png
    grab3_Retro.png
    114.7 KB · Views: 189

ColorCrest

All around shop helper.
Corebridge bought Cyrious several years ago.....
I recall hearing so. Cyrious is outstanding software save for the fact their look-and-feel is outdated and not easily developed further. I'm not sure about their platform but I suppose somebody thought to modernize...

...except much of the recent solutions require a tremendous amount of scrolling the viewport while losing sight of the header.

Not modern, IMO. They actually have a very long way go as the pendulum swings.

PrintItBig

Assuming we want / need the PO functionality is Corebridge worth the extra?

Is it easier / better software?

Is there stuff that Corebridge does that Shopvox doesn't or visa versa?

Has anyone used both or moved from one to the other and if so why?

Before anyone says to try them both, we will. Just looking for opinions.

Thanks.

bigben

Assuming we want / need the PO functionality is Corebridge worth the extra?

Is it easier / better software?

Is there stuff that Corebridge does that Shopvox doesn't or visa versa?

Has anyone used both or moved from one to the other and if so why?

Before anyone says to try them both, we will. Just looking for opinions.

Thanks.

Same thing here. This thead is very interesting.

Christian @ 2CT Media

We have had Cyrious Control, SignVox, ShopVox, and currently Corebridge. They are all functional and work well, but as you will discover to cover a broad base something has to suffer. In that regard, you may find that none of these do things the way you want them too.

PrintItBig

Why the move from Shopvox to Corebridge?

Can you shed some light on their strengths / weaknesses?

Which do you prefer? Corebridge worth the extra?

Thanks.

Christian @ 2CT Media

Why the move from Shopvox to Corebridge?

Can you shed some light on their strengths / weaknesses?

Which do you prefer? Corebridge worth the extra?

Thanks.
Corebridge at the time had a much more robust pricing capability, But that isn't the case anymore. We have been contemplating switching back since corebridge has been promising since 2018 a new version release to fix it's shortcomings... I'm still waiting.

We are also pursuing building our own solution but that isn't ready for primetime yet and won't be for sometime due to our shoestring budget.

ColorCrest

All around shop helper.
Before anyone says to try them both, we will.
Before actually trialing sign shop software, one should be prepared to have a few ducks in a row because the software requires certain factors in order that it may calculate costs and prices that relate to typical work.

A spreadsheet of customers including companies and contacts along with addresses, phones, etc., and another spreadsheet of products along with all the components which make up the products need to imported. Some critical components are equipment rates, labor rates, overhead, and desired profit margin. Some software vendors provide their preferred spreadsheet templates and / or widgets to help determine shop rates, etc. The data is to help evaluate the software from a practical perspective because vendors often demo software with an unrealistic short list of customers and products. Customer lists often contain a few thousand companies and people and product / component lists contain a few hundred individual items.

If one does not trouble themselves with this task, then they most definitely are not ready for the software. These lists would be required anyway for the initial software setup when purchased and put into service.

PS: There is free “dummy” data of companies and contacts available on the internet. As for products and components, most sign shops already have those lists but don’t be surprised when those components with their costs and rates need to be combined with individual products. This combination is sometimes referred to as a “product template” and the combination is a basis for the software to draw upon in order to calculate prices for quotes, etc.

PSS: It’s important to actually see if the same data can be exported in a similar fashion as it was imported.