• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

New Monitor

signswi

I really have no idea how Roland color works, sorry, I've never used it. If the software you're using to design with Roland color properly supports ICC profiles and you calibrate your monitor and have a calibrated print workflow you should get a pretty accurate image on screen. I can get it very dialed in with Adobe products.

Colin

I really have no idea how Roland color works, sorry, I've never used it.

It's their own spot-color system. You do a print-out of the entire palette onto your particular media, so now you have a reference, and then you apply their color(s) to the vector contours & lettering that you create, and you now know exactly what color it will print as.

signswi

Ah, never was a fan of that particular hack but I know a lot of places rely on it. No idea how you'd get soft-proof accuracy with it.

oldgoatroper

Roper of Goats. Old ones.
The color profiles supplied by ColorSpan for Onyx were entirely useless, so I ended up doing the same -- printing a bunch of color ramps with profiling turned off in Onyx and then using those color formulas to get the desired output.

As a result, sometimes what you had to enter for CMYK values looked completely different on screen than in print, especially with dark greens and browns.

The profiles that Gerber supplied for the IonX/Onyx in combo with my (uncalibrated by me) UltraSharp are really very close. Certainly close enough for everything I've done so far.

Colin

The new U2410 showed up this morning. Got 'er all hooked up. Sweet!

Nothing like visual real estate!

dolce05

colin if you dont mind me asking, what did the monitor set u back?? I was just waiting for the holidays when sales start to pop to set up another design station with ips monitors as well. You did the right thing by purchasing this model especially if your printing a ton, nothing like seeing red on your monitor and printing the same red as u achieved.

Chris

dolce05

hey i read up on the post and had seen u posted the price. Best of luck to you, Thats a sweet purchase.. I'm gonna go try and swing a deal for two.

Colin

I've never had headaches in my life, but am experiencing some now, especially super early in the mornings. I have been spending a fair bit of time on the computer lately (with this new monitor). Could this be causing my headaches?

oldgoatroper

Roper of Goats. Old ones.
Try placing a small incandescent desk lamp near your work space such that it lights up your work area but does not directly interfere with your display.

It's important that it is incandescent or halogen as the steady light they produce tends to moderate the effects flickering from fluorescent and LED lights can have on your eyes/brain.

Letterbox Mike

Try placing a small incandescent desk lamp near your work space such that it lights up your work area but does not directly interfere with your display.

It's important that it is incandescent or halogen as the steady light they produce tends to moderate the effects flickering from fluorescent and LED lights can have on your eyes/brain.

Agreed, I've heard the same thing before and it works.

I used to get headaches a lot because I'd work in my office with either no light on or with the overhead fluorescents on and I used to get pretty bad headaches from it (mind you I've staring at a 30" and 20" monitor side-by-side all day long so that's a lot of LCD to be looking at anyway).

We switched the overhead fluorescent lights out to incandescent and I also have a small halogen light on my desk now, and the headaches have gone away. Worth considering.

Colin

Heh heh, yup, but she's no headache. Well, most of the time. Actually sometimes she can be difficult. No, now that I think about it, she is a real pain......no, I can't believe I married this individual!!! Every time she's around, the tension and stress just builds & builds 'till I just have to run down the street screaming and......

No, it's not that.

HulkSmash

Heh heh, yup, but she's no headache. Well, most of the time. Actually sometimes she can be difficult. No, now that I think about it, she is a real pain......no, I can't believe I married this individual!!! Every time she's around, the tension and stress just builds & builds 'till I just have to run down the street screaming and......

No, it's not that.

every 30 minutes take a 30 second break, concentrate your vision on something far away, like a tree branch or something that is at least 80-100 feet away. It helps.. learned this from a seminar once