• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

New Printer issues

Mark Your Space

I've kept this posted to my review of the MT540 for a while. But I'm posting here for those that don't read the reviews.

I received this printer on 12/23/09. It printed flawlessly out of the crate. We had a professional installation done and some training. My designer learned some new tricks even though he already knew Versaworks, etc.

After a week of light printing we had a print have some banding issues. Ran a mechanical cleaning and it was fixed.

About another week later we had the same thing, but the banding was a little more pronounced.

3rd week....metallic cartridge was empty. Strange, we have only printed about 2 square feet of metallic. Called Roland, they came back and stated they have only heard of one other case of this. The next cartridge should solve the problem. I'm a bit miffed, hinted that I'd like another cartridge at no cost since I really didn't get to print anything. No luck there.

Coincidentally I get a call from Roland. They are surveying MT purchasers to see how they are using the metallic. So we chit chat and I get some very good technical info.
1) Every twelve hours the machine self cleans and will spit 1.5ml of metallic.
2) Every time the metallic is used it will waste 6.5ml of metallic ink. (yes, I almost had cardiac arrest)

I also raised an issue with the color pallet. There are still only the original 12 metallic colors. At launch or within days there were to be over 30. The developer says they are releasing a new pallet with 500 color in the next week or so. I state this is great since there was no documentation on how to create my own metallic colors. I'm really looking forward to these colors!

And I also suggested they provide some sample artwork using the metallic inks. They agreed and may be doing this in the future.

1 day after talking to Roland my printer starts banding on everything. We did the usual and it didn't help. I've had the local techs here and they are working on it. Doesn't matter what material or what rip we use. The banding is bad.

Bottom line is that so far this printer is not meeting my expectations. And I feel like some key information was left out by Roland prior to my purchase.

I'll continue to update this review as time goes on. I'm confident the local techs can solve my problem, even though they haven't seen anything like this before (they tried a lot of fixes today).

Update: 1/22/10

Well, my confidence was shattered yesterday when the "official Roland" service team failed miserably. The tech that spent a couple of hours at my place and printed about 9 yards of material to take back to their shop called in sick. He did speak with the owner on his way home. The service company didn't even bother to call. At about 10am I called to get a status update and they replied that he was sick and they would need more samples. Lucky for them I still had some laying around, as I was out of vinyl (yes, we have now wasted about 90% of a 50 yard roll). Few hours later they had a route driver pick them up and return them to the shop.

I won't get into all of the details but they really haven't tried to solve the issue. I had to call Roland to get some help. Looks like they will try to intervene and get me some help today. We will see.

Update 1/28/10

Since my last writing I've had a new Roland certified team in my shop, multiple times. They still don't know why I'm getting the banding. We've tried different materials, different rips, different profiles and even different computers. No luck. Yesterday they overnighted samples to a Roland employee in WI. As of 3:15PM I haven't heard a word.

Update 1/31/10

Heard from Roland on 1/29/10 mid morning, they did call on 1/28/10 after hours. I'm a bit miffed at this whole part of the experience. The tech (Roland employee) agrees there is banding but says its within spec. I state that it is not acceptable banding. He backs up a bit and says that on some of the prints the banding is within spec. Now I blow a gasket. I just bought a $40,000 printer that bands on 75% of the prints and 50% of those are WITHIN SPEC. I'm a little freaked out here, and pissed to no end. Roland wants to circle their wagons and speak with the local guy doing the work and call me back.

Little while later they call me and say the Roland tech (employee) will be coming to Chicago on Tuesday afternoon. They agreed that I should be happy with my purchase. I'm happy that he is coming out to find the problem. But at the very least I've been without a printer for 2 weeks. This is getting VERY expensive and aggravating.

Jack Knight1979

that's awful. I'm really sorry to hear about your woes. Sounds a lot like my experience with my 745ex. When it hit the fan and the machine didn't work they just explained it away.

Roland is a good company and they will take care of this. Roland customer service is good and they care about their customers.

The problem is that we are subject to authorized dealers who can be d-bags to deal with on a local service basis. Trust me, I know.

Time for an XC.

skdave

I print in the Tshirt industry where white ink and metal in ink is a pain in the ass.

We came close to buying the 540MT last week. At the last second my brain kicked in and we bought the 540xc.

I was not ready to spent 40grand and have to shake up the white and metalic EVERYDAY to keep things running.

Mark Your Space

I'd like to ask the fellow XC and VP owners this question:

When doing a print with blocks a any solid color, do you see banding (i.e. thicker coats of the color that are visible)? Is this normal? Is this salable material?

My opinion has been its not acceptable and not salable. What are your opinions.

:thankyou:

Jack Knight1979

it sounds to me like you are not getting banding. Are you seeing an "overlap" where the head passes over the already printed ink?

that isn't banding that is a media feed issue which you can calibrate in the menu.

Forgive me if you know this. Just checking.

To me banding is not an overlap of ink, but the absence of ink in the print.
If you are getting overlap style banding you can adjust this. It may take a little time to get it right.

Mark Your Space

Actually we are getting both Jack. I guess I've been bundling them up.

As far as being a media feed issue, we've had it happen doing it ourselves, and the tech doing it. But when the official "roland" tech comes I'll bring it up. Thanks for the tip!

Jack Knight1979

Don't stress about the overlap banding. That is a super simple fix. Have the Roland tech walk you through it.

The real concern which you well know is the banding where there is an absence of ink. Don't let the Roland tech leave w/out that being fixed.

When it does appear that he fixed it print several different images, at different head passes to ensure ink starvation won't occur on prints that require higher outputs of different colors.

ProColorGraphics

I didn't think they seam that great, especially with price. My Roland rep showed me a printed sample, after not having any luck trying to get a sample 3 times from Roland, and I was not impressed. I thought they would have looked way better for $40k. I didn't tell him that though.

LittleSnakey

Also do a few different colors in large blocks. Seems some colors are more subseptable to banding ie. green, orange.
You may also want to try the same shades but different types of colors ie. rgb,cmyk & spot colors.

Make sure you remember what prints best and always use that in the future.

Mark Your Space

I am very HAPPY to provide an update to the problem (and at the same time feel a little stupid).

It was so simple its kinda scary. The Roland rep came out and wanted to start from scratch. So he set the machine back to the settings it was shipped with.

This turned on full width printing (full width S?). This is where the print carriage goes from right to left the full length of the machine on EVERY pass.

The tech who installed the machine had the print head only traveling as far as necessary to print. This was causing the material to move through the heating process to quickly, creating our banding and quality issues. He didn't do a good job explaining this feature to us at all. He only said that it will make the printer print faster......didn't mention any quality issues or possible drawbacks.

So for all the problems that we have had it came down to that. Two techs didn't get it but a very astute Roland tech did get it.

Thank you very much Roland!

We printed all day today with no problems.

jasonx

Do you have to do the flushes with the cleaning cartridges every two weeks with the MT?

I have to do them with my XC540W. That's the only pain in the butt with the printer. Apart from that the automatic maintenance of the printer is great.

I also thought with the MT that it used recirculating pumps to reduce ink wastage by 80%.

AllSquare Jason

I am very HAPPY to provide an update to the problem (and at the same time feel a little stupid).

It was so simple its kinda scary. The Roland rep came out and wanted to start from scratch. So he set the machine back to the settings it was shipped with.

This turned on full width printing (full width S?). This is where the print carriage goes from right to left the full length of the machine on EVERY pass.

The tech who installed the machine had the print head only traveling as far as necessary to print. This was causing the material to move through the heating process to quickly, creating our banding and quality issues. He didn't do a good job explaining this feature to us at all. He only said that it will make the printer print faster......didn't mention any quality issues or possible drawbacks.

So for all the problems that we have had it came down to that. Two techs didn't get it but a very astute Roland tech did get it.

Thank you very much Roland!

We printed all day today with no problems.
Glad to hear it was a simple fix. I have had several customers request samples and quotes - but have not been able to use this printer yet (will probably replace our VP 'Demo' unit with one of these). The samples were some of the first ones and only shows metallic purple. Not bad...I just want to see more.

I also want to confirm about the waisted ink - I thought they basically had this unit configured where the ink circulates instead of purging onto media. I know this was an ssue wth the previous generation XCWhite but this was to be the fix. I'll look more into this and will keep checking your thread for updates as well.

- and it really does help to have a tech who knows what he is doing. That one probably feels about an inch tall. My certfied Roland Tech Ryan Milz is the man!!

Mark Your Space

To answer a few questions:

There is no flushing necessary because of the recirculating of the ink. There is still waste, 1.5ml every 12 hours due to self cleaning and 6ml when firing up the metallic. So print all your metallic at once or very close together.

As far as restitution they replaced my wasted roll with a high end cast roll and gave me a roll of photo paper. They gave me some partially filled CMYK cartridges and are sending a replacement metallic cartridge.

Mosh

Roland is ALL GOOD in the end. I was getting worries being a 20 plus year customer with NO problems (except the PNC 5000 incident)