• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

New Problem, Double Cuts

khoalabear

Hi everyone, I have a new problem. The images I'm cutting (using Flexisign) are being cut twice, meaning, once it cuts a shape, it comes back and cuts right back on top of it, causing it to cut through the entire sheet. On top of that, every sharp corner is being pulled up. I'm using a 60 deg blade on Oracle 651, speed 600mm/s and 75g. Thanks!

luggnut

are you designing in flexi or are you designing in illustrator or some other and using flexi just to rip and print?

letterman7

You've got a double path somehow. Go into node edit and see if you can pick a node away from one of the images. If there is a node path under it, you have your answer.

Drip Dry

You likely have 2 cut lines on top of each other. Usually caused by creating an outline around the letter.
To check it, uncombine the letter, click on the line that cuts twice and delete
it. Redraw the screen so you can see what is still there. I would bet that you will still see a line.( the line that was underneath)

Another symptom of double cut lines is when you set an object to a particular color and you see a different or no color. Once you delete the top layer, the color can be seen.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
The second and third downloads located HERE can be used to effectively find and remove double vectors if you have Adobe Illustrator.

davidcarr87

not sure..but maybe you have it set to make more than 1 pass...
i know on lxi expert you can set it so that it will make 1 pass or 5 passes...

when i first got my plotter and used lxi it was set to 2 passes..and it would always do that..till i figured it out about 200 yards of 24" vinyl later--mine would make 2 passes ..it would cut into the paper some but not all the way ..so i could still weed it and everything..
blade might be to deep too..

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
Double check if you have a "thick line attribute" setting clicked on.

Sometimes your program "thinks" it has to cut on BOTH sides of a single line. Imported graphics are notorious for this kind of trouble.

khoalabear

You likely have 2 cut lines on top of each other. Usually caused by creating an outline around the letter.
To check it, uncombine the letter, click on the line that cuts twice and delete
it. Redraw the screen so you can see what is still there. I would bet that you will still see a line.( the line that was underneath)

Another symptom of double cut lines is when you set an object to a particular color and you see a different or no color. Once you delete the top layer, the color can be seen.

it was a jpg image, then i used vector magic to convert it to an eps file, i just opened it up in flexisign and cut it... so the problem is the eps file? thanks!

khoalabear

not sure..but maybe you have it set to make more than 1 pass...
i know on lxi expert you can set it so that it will make 1 pass or 5 passes...

when i first got my plotter and used lxi it was set to 2 passes..and it would always do that..till i figured it out about 200 yards of 24" vinyl later--mine would make 2 passes ..it would cut into the paper some but not all the way ..so i could still weed it and everything..
blade might be to deep too..

i saw that option and it was set to 1 pass...

chopper

also the 60 degree blade is usually used for thicker material, like sand blast, chrome, etc..
on thinner material like 651 I would use a 45 or 35 degree blade depending on what cutter you have.
//chopper

khoalabear

also the 60 degree blade is usually used for thicker material, like sand blast, chrome, etc..
on thinner material like 651 I would use a 45 or 35 degree blade depending on what cutter you have.
//chopper

thanks for the info... would the 60 deg blade coz sharp corners to be pulled up a little?

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
it was a jpg image, then i used vector magic to convert it to an eps file, i just opened it up in flexisign and cut it... so the problem is the eps file? thanks!

Vector magic will do this by default. In Illustrator there is an option to "ignore white", otherwise it does the same thing. You have 2 shapes directly on top of each other. I don't know if VM gives you the option to automatically prevent this

AUTO-FX

sorry if this is a little off course, but if you have flexi, why would you use vector magic? is it better then flexi tracing? i dont know- never used VM.

-Chris

Tom Printz

!!!!fixed it!!!!

:rock-n-roll:WWWWWOOOOOOO HHHOOOOOOOOOO:rock-n-roll:

I've been intermittently having this problem of double cutting for a looooonnnng time. I'm designing in Illustrator CS5 and "save as" an EPS file. It didn't happen every time but it would drive me NUTS because it would pull up corners on small details and even what I could weed had these little stringy pieces left over. This may not solve your problem but it has finally put an end to a source of misery for me!!!!!

In the stroke panel you can choose to stroke the "center, inside or outside" of the object. If you use any option other than "CENTER" for the stroke you will get a double cut!:doh:

So Simple. Thats why I was only having this problem sporadically, I was altering the stroke and wasn't aware that is what affected my cutpaths!

HOPE THIS HELPS YOU!

khoalabear

:rock-n-roll:WWWWWOOOOOOO HHHOOOOOOOOOO:rock-n-roll:

I've been intermittently having this problem of double cutting for a looooonnnng time. I'm designing in Illustrator CS5 and "save as" an EPS file. It didn't happen every time but it would drive me NUTS because it would pull up corners on small details and even what I could weed had these little stringy pieces left over. This may not solve your problem but it has finally put an end to a source of misery for me!!!!!

In the stroke panel you can choose to stroke the "center, inside or outside" of the object. If you use any option other than "CENTER" for the stroke you will get a double cut!:doh:

So Simple. Thats why I was only having this problem sporadically, I was altering the stroke and wasn't aware that is what affected my cutpaths!

HOPE THIS HELPS YOU!

thanks for your input, glad you got your problem taken care of...

as for me, there was a duplicate image on top of each other, i just selected and deleted it... that seemed to have solved the issue... now i'm having another problem and that's when i open/import an eps file, it doesn't even show up in flexisign, just an empty box, any ideas? thanks!

907customs

Sounds like a compatability issue, can you save it as an .ai, .pdf? I've had similar problems with .eps files opening in Flexi.

khoalabear

Sounds like a compatability issue, can you save it as an .ai, .pdf? I've had similar problems with .eps files opening in Flexi.

i had it also in an .ai file and same problem... will have to play with it more and see exactly why neither .eps or .ai file will load...

mikey-Oh

.. now i'm having another problem and that's when i open/import an eps file, it doesn't even show up in flexisign, just an empty box, any ideas? thanks!

could be masked. is there still a box? do you have any options if you right click the object?