• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

New puter,what to do with Photoshop

CenturySigns

Custom Sign Shop Designer
OK, I have my new computer and it has 2-250g hd's. In Photoshop I need some advice on what my settings should be.
Under Memory and Image Cache its default setting is "cache levels 6" and max at "55% 967 MB" for memory usage. Aslo should I set the "first" hardrive to standard or c:/ and the second one to d:/? Thanks in advance

GK

set the scratch disk to your secondary drive, always a good rule of thumb to not run it on the same drive as your OS. You could bump your memory usage to 60% on most machines over 2 gigs of ram as well keep it under 80% though and you will be fine.

CenturySigns

Custom Sign Shop Designer
Thanks George
I have 4 gigs total but my understanding is that PS only "sees" a max of 2 gigs. Still trying to figure out what the diff is between standard and c:/, or are they the same?

GK

Depending on what version of PS you have and what type of processor you are running will determine how much available RAM photoshop will utilize. There is a good document right here that discusses this topic further. If you are running a 64-bit processor you can use more.

Techman

RAM...leave it set to default. Don't go higher unless you really need it higher. Which will be rare. I don't know many people doing graphics in the half gig range...
Scratch disk. Leave it 55% or lower,,, 40% is better

GK

RAM...leave it set to default. Don't go higher unless you really need it higher. Which will be rare. I don't know many people doing graphics in the half gig range...
Scratch disk. Leave it 55% or lower,,, 40% is better

most wraps at 100ppi will be over a half gig.

ColesCreations

Printed a photo, 5'x20' @720dpi, needed 13GB!!! For ripping, in C, so make sure you set up enough space or specify where the Rip or scratch disk stores stuff.

You can probably also set up a raid, where everything is C, talk to a teenager with knowledge:help:

Techman

most wraps at 100ppi will be over a half gig.

I don't know many people doing half gig image sizes. Wraps included. Who does wraps at 100 pixels per inch???

He didn't say he was doing wraps either..

WHY???????????????/ WAs it a gicklee print?

thesignexpert

Printed a photo, 5'x20' @720dpi, needed 13GB!!! For ripping, in C, so make sure you set up enough space or specify where the Rip or scratch disk stores stuff.

You can probably also set up a raid, where everything is C, talk to a teenager with knowledge:help:

Holy Cow CC! What in the world were you doing with that monster? I'll bet you felt like you could pick something right off the banner at that resolution.

ColesCreations

Actually the photo was taken with a 30MP Hasselblad, put together from 3 or so photos, a landscape.
Reworked in Photoshop, the file was a couple GB before ripping, but needed 14 GB in the FlexiSign rip for printing. This caused a problem since the C-partition was only 35 GB...
Printed at 720, but the file was only around 150 dpi. Yes, looks great from 3'. I'll see if I can get a photo posted in the Mimaki section.

gradus

Separate PHYSICAL drive, not partitioned, totally empty and dedicated for this purpose ONLY is the best solution for PS Scratch Disk. As fast as possible, doesn't have to be large (36 GB WD Raptor 10000 rpm looks great) Storage is cheap these days, give your PS a bit of luxury :)