• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

New rear window signage....

Kottwitz-Graphics

I know you want to come up with something on your own, but what you've posted just ain't working.

Tell us more about your background. How did you get this assignment? Past experience?

1st thing you need to do is invest in Dan Antonelli's books. Get the Mike Stevens layout book and then read them. Once you do that, read them again...

And another thing that will make any sign guy cringe...don't call it "stickers"... they are decals. Stickers are what you get out of a quarter machine in the grocery store... Decals means that they are worth more, and you can charge for them...

And once you start, any left over vinyl is called "offcut", not "scrap"... To customers, "scraps" ain't worth anything and you can use it on their project for free...

Deaton Design

What needs to happen here, is he needs to do a layout comparable to his skills. Once he gets that done and puts it on a sign or window, etc. that shows HIS style and layout capabilities. If he uses the ideas, fonts, etc. of some of the more experienced designers, it will be a compilation of those people and him, but not an actual representation of his actual skills as a designer. Then when a customer hires him for a job, but it doesnt look on the same level as his own design, then its time to scratch their heads. Sometimes I know what I want to say on here, but I want to say it in a way that helps without sounding like an ahole, which I aint.

I know you want to come up with something on your own, but what you've posted just ain't working.

Tell us more about your background. How did you get this assignment? Past experience?

1st thing you need to do is invest in Dan Antonelli's books. Get the Mike Stevens layout book and then read them. Once you do that, read them again...

And another thing that will make any sign guy cringe...don't call it "stickers"... they are decals. Stickers are what you get out of a quarter machine in the grocery store... Decals means that they are worth more, and you can charge for them...

And once you start, any left over vinyl is called "offcut", not "scrap"... To customers, "scraps" ain't worth anything and you can use it on their project for free...

My past experience would be a waste water technician/ courier. I got this job through a friend jan. 3rd of last year. No prior experience what so ever. When I started there were three guys in our sign shop. Two experienced guys. One quit to start his own comp. company. The other one got laid off due to issues with the traffic control side of the company. So I have a year under my belt. I've got signage down now and I want to expand this into a bigger venture (as do the owners of the company). I want to be better at this that's why I ask you guys for help. I haven't heard of the books but I will def. look into them.

They just gave me the freedom to do what I wanted for the sign shop ad on the back of some of the work trucks. I thought I would put my designs through here to get some critiques not be told I'm one squeegee away from a full wrap shop.

I thought this forum was a place for people looking to get into the sign industry to advanced designers and everywhere inbetween. It seems more like a clique of self proclaimed a$$holes sometimes.

you drove a septic tank vacuum truck?

No I worked for and environmental Lab. Picking up and taking samples of air water and dirt. Before I left that company they put me in charge of waste water sampling. Which is a 24 hr. composite sampling. It's not $hit water. It's any water that a company uses for production. Ie: just about every company that produces raw materials.

HPSigns

nods I know my ava is busy as hell, I didnt design it to be so small. ohh maybe I should just put a few words together change their colors? come on seriously haha... before you bash on my stuff at least have some pics on your profile to check out.. Like I keep saying I have been designing cut vinyl for awhile. The industry the I go after is the local car scenes. That's why the flames and checkered boards. 95% of my stuff I draw no clip art.

So is CTS using a printer or cut vinyl? if they are using cut vinyl then your designs wont work "just saying"

Si Allen

If you are serious about learning to do good design work ... subscribe to SignCraft magazine ... and study the work that they show from various sign people.
PLUS order Mike Stevens book on sign design and Dan Antonelli's book on logo design!

Don't just read them .... study them!

letterman7

I have to post the obvious, especially since you're in CA: no more than 10% of the rear window can be obscured. Having it tinted and then plastering a large decal over it is a sure way of being pulled over. Just sayin'.

Mosh

Then what happeds when you pull a trailer? 100% of the window is obstructed. They try this crap here in Nebraska as a reason to pull you over, but I know of several people who pushed it and were not given a ticket cause there is no such law here.

I have to post the obvious, especially since you're in CA: no more than 10% of the rear window can be obscured. Having it tinted and then plastering a large decal over it is a sure way of being pulled over. Just sayin'.

I have the splatter one on my rear window now. It's been there for a year or so and I have had no problems. Even got a speeding ticket and the cop cited me for my front windows being tinted and said nothing about the rear window.

If you are serious about learning to do good design work ... subscribe to SignCraft magazine ... and study the work that they show from various sign people.
PLUS order Mike Stevens book on sign design and Dan Antonelli's book on logo design!

Don't just read them .... study them!

The books I already ordered on amazon because somebody else :readthread: told me about them. Looks incredibly helpful. I'm sure SignCraft will be subscribed to also very soon.

Joe Diaz

Some of the people here I have noticed go for the clean look. But thats a safe approach, you wanna be seen and noticed get beyond that boundary.

I think that's the second time I've seen someone this week defend poor design choices by claiming that making something illegible will somehow help that design get noticed. Busy isn't eye catching and clean isn't safe... it's smart. Some people on here go for the "clean look" because at least the clean look does it's job. Placing a thin script over a white and black checkered background won't help you stand out, it will insure that no one can read your logo/brand/design more than a few yards away. I hope the OP isn't listening to that advice and instead checks out the books and magazines that were recommended.

SignManiac

Two of the most important rules to obey...Legibility and Contrast! All the other effects are an excuse for inability to design well.

I think that's the second time I've seen someone this week defend poor design choices by claiming that making something illegible will somehow help that design get noticed. Busy isn't eye catching and clean isn't safe... it's smart. Some people on here go for the "clean look" because at least the clean look does it's job. Placing a thin script over a white and black checkered background won't help you stand out, it will insure that no one can read your logo/brand/design more than a few yards away. I hope the OP isn't listening to that advice and instead checks out the books and magazines that were recommended.

I have been paying attention. I thought the same thing when he commented on my decals. "Thanks for liking my window logo but I'm not sure if I should trust your judgement based on your avatar."

TammieH

Keep it simple, no outlines, I would stay with white copy and possibly bright green (sparingly) ...that's my free advice. LOL