• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

New Retirement Plan

showcase 66

I have decided on a new retirement plan.

Buy as much Twinkies and any other Hostess products. Wait about a year and sell them all to the highest bidder.

I think it can work.

:Big Laugh

TheSnowman

Surely someone will do a knock off of these things that tastes the same...if they don't already exist now.

And not to stir the pot, but was this a union deal? As in, do what we say or we walk...and they couldn't do what they said, so everyone just lost their job instead? Or is it more complicated than that?

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Surely someone will do a knock off of these things that tastes the same...if they don't already exist now.

And not to stir the pot, but was this a union deal? As in, do what we say or we walk...and they couldn't do what they said, so everyone just lost their job instead? Or is it more complicated than that?

More complicated by the fact that Hostess was trying to emerge from Chapter 11 bankruptcy and the union said no to pay cuts. It was then that Hostess received permission from the court to close down and liquidate.

SignManiac

Yeah the union really showed Hostess who is boss. 18,000 jobs gone now, I bet you see this happen more with other companies who say enough is enough.

qmr55

That's exactly what it was. Pretty sad too...

TheSnowman

Yeah the union really showed Hostess who is boss. 18,000 jobs gone now, I bet you see this happen more with other companies who say enough is enough.

I remember my dad being in the operators union for heavy equipment when i was a kid, and he always felt like the way they treated businesses wasn't right. When they'd have a vote on stuff, he always felt like they were reaming the business owners when he was already making a decent living, and everyone would get mad at him for not being on board with screwing the company that fed them. Things change I guess...

SignosaurusRex

What the hell was the BCTGM union thinking? Obviously they had their heads buried up their @$$ because they sure did not take a clue from the Teamsters union that did accept Hostess's offer. I'm not a real pro union guy, but I do feel sorry for the ones (Teamsters and a few others) that did vote to accept the last offer. BCTGM is only about 30% of the work force at Hostess. I bet they wish now that they had of accepted losing 5-8% rather 100%. HELLO BCTGM...do you not comprehend simple math and common sense? This is the second go around for Hostess & chapter 11!!!
I'm betting that hostess's most popular products and brands will be back before long. The brands and product names have a certain value that make them an asset which will be sold to the highest bidder in the liquidation process. I can't help but think there is a much bigger picture we don't see involving a private equity firm.

raider

Hostess will be back . . . just owned by a Chinese company. Union leaders should be sued for malfeasance.

ThinkRight

I have decided on a new retirement plan.

Buy as much Twinkies and any other Hostess products. Wait about a year and sell them all to the highest bidder.

I think it can work.

:Big Laugh

Crave a Twinkie? The price is going up fast online
SAN FRANCISCO (AP) — Twinkies are being sold on the Internet like exquisite delicacies.
Hours after Twinkie-maker Hostess announced its plans to close its doors forever, people flocked to stores to fill their shopping baskets with boxes of the cream-filled sponge cakes and their sibling snacks — Ding Dongs, Ho Hos and Zingers.
Late Friday and Saturday, the opportunists took to eBay and Craigslist. They began marketing their hoard to whimsical collectors and junk-food lovers for hundreds — and in some cases — thousands of dollars. That's a fat profit margin, when you consider the retail price for a box of 10 Twinkies is roughly $5.
Greg Edmonds of Sherman, Texas is among those who believe Twinkies are worth more now that Hostess Brands Inc. has closed its bakeries. He lost his job as a sales representative eight months ago, so he is hoping to make some money feeding the appetites of Twinkie fans and connoisseurs
After spending a couple hours driving around to stores Friday, Edmonds wound up with 16 boxes of Twinkies and Ding Dongs. He started selling them Saturday on eBay, advertising three boxes for a hefty price of $300.
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/crave...RhaWQDBHBzdGNhdANob21lBHB0A3NlY3Rpb25z;_ylv=3

Jillbeans

There were no Hostess products left at my local grocery store yesterday.
I did, however, manage to snag a loaf of Town Talk bread for those turkey sandwiches later this week.
I don't like Twinkies but I will miss Ho Hos. Little Debbies or Tastykakes are just not the same.
Love....jill

rjssigns

BIMBO Bakeries USA will probably acquire the most lucrative Hostess brands. They already bought out Sara Lee's non-core units.

One question that no-one can answer is if the workers will be eligible for unemployment? They were offered full time work and refused it. In WI that means you get nothing.

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
Little Debbie already makes a Twinkie knock-off...along with cup cakes. Don't fret, it's lucrative enough that there will always be a supplier.

JB

knucklehead

I used to be in the BCT union, although it was at a cigarette manufactor, never could figure out why we were in a bakers union. But, as far as corruption, stupidity, and thievery, and everything else negative one could think of for a union. I would rank them right up there with the teamsters, and some of the other crooked unions.

They got exactly what they asked for, 18,500 people X 25 bucks a month dues, equals around half a million bucks lost to stupidity a month.

Just feel for the workers that bought in to the unions pile of crap. Recon any of the union leaders lost anything in the deal?

TheSnowman

20% OF SALE WILL BE DONATED TO SAINT JUDE RESEARCH HOSPITAL IN MEMPHIS, TN

MY KIDS WILL APPRECIATE YOU BUYING THESE WHEN CHRISTMAS ROLLS AROUND. I PROMISE.

PAYPAL VERIFIED ADDRESS ONLY

This guy is a tool.

signswi

The upper-level management of Hostess took 300% bonuses over the last several years. Blaming the BCT union for this shutdown is total nonsense. This is a Bain style takeover, cut wages to breaking point, sell off IP rights for profit move. Get a grip people.

Plus, who cares, you can get corn syrup anywhere. Go buy some Little Debbie's, a company that pays a living wage and has remained private to avoid these types of public company takeover, strip and sell moves.

CES020

The upper-level management of Hostess took 300% bonuses over the last several years. Blaming the BCT union for this shutdown is total nonsense. This is a Bain style takeover, cut wages to breaking point, sell off IP rights for profit move. Get a grip people.

Nice try, but it wasn't the management that walked out on strike. What's the management bonus have to do with anything? They run the company, they can do what they want. The went on strike because they didn't want to accept a 2% reduction in their pension, and then there was a 10% in wage cuts, with them coming back over the next several years, 2-3% at a time.

Let's do the math. 10% pay cut from $40,000 a year equals $4,000 a year, plus 2% cut in pension.

Now, stick with me. Company closed down = $40,000 pay cut and pension wiped out completely.

I'll take a 10% cut to keep 90% of my wages, and I'll take a 2% cut to keep 98% of my pension, as opposed to zero percent of both.

Where I went to school, that's pretty basic math, politics aside.

Last edited:

ova

We have an outlet store right across the street from the shop. Lots been full since Friday. They're open Sat. and Sun. and it was full both days.

Talked to one of the employees last Tuesday and she said this week could be her last. She has 27 years of service. Now nothing to show for it.

Dave