• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

New shop logo (aka Let Me Have It)

It seems there have been a bunch of these threads the last few days, so I figured I might as well step in the ring and see if I can take a punch or if I have a glass jaw.

Here are a few rough drafts I worked up last night. I'm looking for opinions to see if you think any of them are worth pursuing, or if I need to start over.

My next round of changes may be to wander over and download an LHF font or two to see what they look like using the same basic format.

Attachments

• signcrafters new logo.jpg
    signcrafters new logo.jpg
    187.5 KB · Views: 146
  • signcrafters new logo 2.jpg
    signcrafters new logo 2.jpg
    174.9 KB · Views: 99

Marlene

the font isn't very good and I don't like the large "s" at the end of crafters as it just looks off. the idea of putting the word "signs" on a sign shape isn't all that bad, the middle one might work with many tweeks. the colors are pretty harsh. what kind of signs do you make? from the colors and layout I would guess yard type, stop signs, simple directional and that type. if you do carved or really nice wood signs, electrical or large signs the look doesn't suit you.

Seven Sin Design

Try using some different fonts. A lot of times a different font will inspire a new direction. When I design logos, I probably end up creating over 100 versions (most of them being only minor changes at a time). The entire process is an evolution and once you are on the right track you will know it immediately.

I was trying to go for the old KISS approach. I looked at a lot of corporate logos and many of them just use Helvetica or Times Roman. I wanted to use a simple font.

We build a lot of electric signs; that's what I was going for in the second one. We do a lot of custom shapes out of mdo/alumacorr, too, that's what I was shooting for in the first one. And like most other small-town shops we do a little bit of everything else, too. We've also recently bought a printer and have entered the digital world.

Marlene

We build a lot of electric signs; that's what I was going for in the second one. We do a lot of custom shapes out of mdo/alumacorr, too, that's what I was shooting for in the first one. And like most other small-town shops we do a little bit of everything else, too. We've also recently bought a printer and have entered the digital world.

so you are a good mix of types of signs and much more than a shop that does magnetics and yarad signs. I get the reasons why to keep it simple and agree that some of the best logos out there are. do a search for threads from Jon Aston as he posts the best links for logo design inspiration. when I do a design, I throw a bunch of copies of the lettering on my screen in different fonts that I think might work. when you see them together, it is easy to week out what does and what doesn't work. then start putting in elements and color once you get the lettering jsut right.

SignManiac

Try a reverse color split like this and play with some other fonts? And if you do a lot of electric signs, something like this works with a backlit effect for the name.

Edited to add one more that's more graphical.

Attachments

• signcraftes.jpg
    signcraftes.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 104
  • signcrafters2.jpg
    signcrafters2.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 83
  • signcrafters3.jpg
    signcrafters3.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:
W

wetgravy

I like the idea of "signs" being in a sign shape, but the color choice hurt my eyes. also, the idea that less it more would be the key to that type of idea ... basically lose the drop shadow on the font. i like the font itself, if anything i would try a sky blue, white, black combo ... it will stand out and look good without being gaudy.

Flame

Start from scratch dude.

First off, what kind of shop are you? Quicky cheap signs, quality signs, beautiful signs...etc? That should be expressed in your logo.

Next, If you're new to logo design, start with an easy one. Choose a shape, good fonts, balance them out, then add some effects. I was browsing Dan's site recently and saw a logo like this, so I kinda cheated, but still...this didn't take me more than 3 minutes. Not a finished logo but gives you an idea of what I'm talking about

Oval logos are super simple, and if you're not really a graphic designer or logo designer, could be a good place to start to get you a good looking brand. Then, as you learn, you can create a new one down the road!

Just an idea, don't take my word as gospel. But what you posted up is.....egad. Not useable.

Attachments

• signcrafters.jpg
    signcrafters.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 89

Sticky Signs

Haha, Yeah, that's what I figured SM. It would take me more than 15 mins just to find a font and another life time to design 3 great looking logos.

Flame,
Pretty funny that you suggest a red oval with white/gray chiseled lettering. That's been my logo for the past 12 years. The difference (admittedly a big difference) is the lettering I had to start with was some amalgamation of different scripts my dad combined in 1995. I added the logo and added the chiseled effect a couple of years later.

I'm just tired of the oval and especially tired of chiseled lettering.

Oh well, thanks for the replies. I'll come up with something.

Fitch

Too "child like".

Especially with the word "crafters" - it eludes to being better than others.

Sign Maniac has done a great job and you should be following that vein.

Whilst I like Flames, if you do not have the abilty to make his rendition in 3D or even do it by hand - forget it.

To me - and it is only my opinion - a digital print does not represent the title "SignCrafters"

There are a million great fonts out there - many for free. USE THEM !!!!

Also consider layers, shadows, borders, countour shapes, and depth that may further represent the quality of work that you either do or want to do.

There is absolutely no shame in seeking the assitance of a local sign guy that may be able to help you achieve what you can't personally do.

It's a lot easier to do a computer rendition of an actual sign - not the other way around.

Cheers - G

Jillbeans

Colin and SignManiac have both given some nice suggestions.
I like Crafters in a pretty script, making it seem handcrafted.
Flamey needs a spankin for squishing his font.
I agree about not using 3D lettering, it is starting to look so dated to me.
Love....Jill

signmeup

To me - and it is only my opinion - a digital print does not represent the title "SignCrafters"

It's a lot easier to do a computer rendition of an actual sign - not the other way around.
Now that's two quotes I gotta agree with! Well said!
(time to go carve some letters........)

Craig Sjoquist

Liked the middle one left side of 1st post, but Signmaniac 1st one was even better and since you electric that would be very fitting

Now come up with your best again