• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

New Shop Owner

N2Harpz

A friend and I have just purchased a well established sign shop. The owner is 75 years old and technology is catching up with him. He ran this shop for 21 years. I am an Artist ( AllofMyArt.com ) and my friend is an electrician. We both left a Steel Mill with 30 plus years because of a labor dispute.

The owner has agreed to stick around for the summer and give us a hand. This is all new to me ( my partner has been working for him for about 5 months already ). BUT I am up for the challenge. I use Photoshop on a regular basis. Now I am switching over to learn Illustrator... I have been reading that this is a must for designing purposes. His software is run on a Windows 98 computer ..... SLOOOOOOOWWW. I am sure that is the first upgrade we will have to make. NEW software and a new computer. I am able to build a new computer. So software would next.

My first question would be "Should I start with a top of the line software or familiarize myself first with his old programs ? "

We start next week. We have got a lot to learn and my partner and I will be relying on this forum for lots of info.

Can't wait to get started....... David

Last edited:

signsbygeorge

I bet if you tell us what you have for sign software, you will get a bushel of opinions and whatnot from the riffraff here. Welcome from Texas!

flat rock stan

Welcome! Lots of great help here! Wish I could answer ANYTHING for you but I'm in the boat with you! What program are you using at the new shop?

vinylbarry

:Welcome: to:signs101: I would start with updated programs why try to learn old then still be outdated I have adobe cs2 and just purchase corel draw x3 and use windows xp dont really want vista but if it was me and you could afford the new programs thats just what I would do our you would have to learn all over again to catch up.

Welcome from Ky

Have a cup of:Coffee: and read this site theres alot of info on this board and Good Luck

signsbygeorge

Casmate is now Flexisign by SAi. The most poignant reason to upgrade your software in my opinion is the fact that you can import onto your software just about any of the mainline formats used by other mainline softwares. Your old Casmate program will not be able to interpret the new versions and evolved formats used nowadays, esp. the Adobe and PDF formats.

It will take longer to appreciate all the bells and whistles that a newer version offers. Basic signmaking software has all the basic functions. I think Flexisign and Signlab are the two biggest in the vinyl cutting/digital printing
arena. That's all I know.

maddmd

Are you just cutting or printing and cutting?

Corel X3 is good and is not BIG $$$
Flexi Pro is great for print and cut with this own profiles ect. but is not cheap.
Post the equipment you have to work with,will be much easy for people here to help.

Welcome and good luck from NJ :Welcome:

N2Harpz

I have Adobe CS here at the house. I will load that on the new computer. The shop does not have a printer, just a vinyl cutter. He contracts the printing out. I have been looking at the Flexisign programs. Do I need the PRO or can I go with a lesser program like the ULTRA.

I'm thinking of upgrading Computer, software, then printer/cutter (maybe) in that order.

I hate to go in and just start buying stuff before I really know what I am doing.

SignosaurusRex

"WELCOME" to the FUNHOUSE! Be forwarned that this site is addicting and we're all here for our "FIX". You"ll be on the harder stuff Before you know it!

:Sleeping: :Coffee: :beer :wine-smi: :Welcome:

iSign

I have Adobe CS here at the house. I will load that on the new computer. The shop does not have a printer, just a vinyl cutter. He contracts the printing out. I have been looking at the Flexisign programs. Do I need the PRO or can I go with a lesser program like the ULTRA.

I'm thinking of upgrading Computer, software, then printer/cutter (maybe) in that order.

I hate to go in and just start buying stuff before I really know what I am doing.

As you probably know, the "S" in Adobe CS stands for Suite. You can purchase a whole suite of programs at the CS level, or the CS2 level... but unless you are referring to the entire suite, saying "Adobe CS" doesn't identify which program you are referring to. I assume it is either Illustrator, or photoshop since you mentioned those.

Casmate was an excellent program, but it only runs on W98 without complicated trickery. You may have purchased repeat order accounts (hopefully) and existing files for reproducing those clients repeat orders. In that case, when you upgrade, you will want to keep a W98 machine on hand, with Casmate, in order to access, or at least search through existing files.

Flexi is expensive, but if the likelihood of many repeat orders coming in is significant, then this would increase my justification for purchasing Flexi pro. It comes with all the same fonts as Casmate had, & it can open all the old Casmate files (w/ some minimal font kerning glitches on occassion)

It's not worth learning casmate if you could just learn Flexi instead. The time you will spend getting good in either program is 10 times more valuable then the cost of Flexi pro... so if you are in this for the long haul... get good software FIRST! You may make do with the older equipment, and not move into printing right away, but I think the trend in this industry would say that the odds are in favor of you wanting to print in-house eventually. Flexi Pro will be an asset what that day comes, and knowing how to use it already will be money in the bank by then.

I am one of the many Illustrator addicts here, & although I own & use Flexi, Signlab AND Omega daily... I use them all to import illustrator (and sometimes Photoshop) files for final job set-up and output.

N2Harpz

Yes, I have the entire Creative Suite ( Photoshop, Illustrator, Go Live, and In Design all included ) Since I haven't used the Flexisign yet. I haven't figured out in my mind how the two will be able to interact with one another.

I can see that my partner and I have a long journey ahead of us...LOL

Thanks

Pro Image

Howdee from VA.............What ever software path you take just take your time and don't get frustrated with it.........It will all come in a little time, Ive been tring to get the feel for Photoshop and its comming along a bit at a time......................Just take your time.

Craig Sjoquist

welcome to a great form .... go to school for advertising design ...sign making ..... still hard headed read books from A to Z on advertising design and sign making .... still think it's just sit at computer and go at it ...learn the hard way, throw away your money, heres a thought pay a experianced sign person to teach you ...thank you n enjoy life

gbahue

N2,

Make sure the owner has specialized in signage that is profitable. Learn suppliers, current clients and do analysis to determine where the money comes from. Identify accounts that yeild replicable business and think about how you can grow those accounts. Also, review advertising expenditures.

Best of luck! Dont forget to have some fun.

g