• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

New start-up.

Flavius

hahahahahahahahaha!

I think "Flavius" means "blonde" ;-)

All right....which one of you guys is slow today or ripping a HUGE file right now?

High impact Ph D dude looks like it's got some powerful guessing skills, that how come he's so succesful I'm thinking. See if you can guess what this means since you were so good on the first guess: "pupama-i in cur".

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Interesting .... Google finds any number of websites containing that text but online translation sites can't figure it out. It looks like Spanish, Italian or Portuguese but it doesn't translate to English.

What does it mean?

4R Graphics

Well if this is real the first thing I would do is buy adobe photoshop and illustrator or corel instead of illustrator get some books on these programs and start studying and designing then buy yourself just a plotter something reasonable in quality and price start doing just lettering and send your print work to one of the merchant members here save your money until you get off the ground and if you stay up then invest. I am some what like you I am very green compared to most on this forum I do own a business and make money I do not own a printer only a plotter and send all of my print work out to wholesalers. I do have experience in designing with phtoshop, illustrator and even 3dsMax. So again if this is real save your money buy a nice cutter/plotter only and get the software start designing and cutting with cheap vinyl design some print stuff and send it to the wholesalers for now when you can design ok and in a reasonable amount of time start advertising and when you have the demand and income buy a printer.

Good Luck

ChiknNutz

Geez, regardless of what MANY might think or entertain...the Sign Business IS A PROFESSION, and as such should be treated like one. Unfortunately, any Joe Schmucatelli can call themselves a sign maker, unlike the fact that one cannot simply call themselves a plumber, electrician, lawyer or engineer. I'll be the first one to admit that I stumbled into the sign business with no formal training, just an earnest interest that quickly grew into a passion and THEN a BUSINESS.

I, for one, have become a staunch advocate of training and really wish that this industry still had widespread apprenticeships and actually formal schooling and subsequent credential-proving requirements. I have half-a-mind to begin lobbeying for some form of these credentials to be mandated locally. Now, I'm generally NOT one for government intervention, but I feel this would greatly HELP an industry that has been plagued by those entering it with zero skill, education, plan, realism, experience or talent.

So, if you must continue down this path, please do so with a sense of respect for those that have come before you and take heed of the plethora of suggestions freely given to you.

Flavius

Well if this is real the first thing I would do is buy adobe photoshop and illustrator or corel instead of illustrator get some books on these programs and start studying and designing then buy yourself just a plotter something reasonable in quality and price start doing just lettering and send your print work to one of the merchant members here save your money until you get off the ground and if you stay up then invest. I am some what like you I am very green compared to most on this forum I do own a business and make money I do not own a printer only a plotter and send all of my print work out to wholesalers. I do have experience in designing with phtoshop, illustrator and even 3dsMax. So again if this is real save your money buy a nice cutter/plotter only and get the software start designing and cutting with cheap vinyl design some print stuff and send it to the wholesalers for now when you can design ok and in a reasonable amount of time start advertising and when you have the demand and income buy a printer.

Good Luck

Thank you very much, I think I will follow your advise.
I really appreciate you.
Flavius.

Service Sign Co

I had a guy in a suit come out of his office and watch me apply vinyl. He stated after watching a few minutes "Now if anyone ask,I can tell them I know how to do it." My reply was " You can tell them you are a sign painter if you want to."

Flavius

Geez, regardless of what MANY might think or entertain...the Sign Business IS A PROFESSION, and as such should be treated like one. Unfortunately, any Joe Schmucatelli can call themselves a sign maker, unlike the fact that one cannot simply call themselves a plumber, electrician, lawyer or engineer. I'll be the first one to admit that I stumbled into the sign business with no formal training, just an earnest interest that quickly grew into a passion and THEN a BUSINESS.

I, for one, have become a staunch advocate of training and really wish that this industry still had widespread apprenticeships and actually formal schooling and subsequent credential-proving requirements. I have half-a-mind to begin lobbeying for some form of these credentials to be mandated locally. Now, I'm generally NOT one for government intervention, but I feel this would greatly HELP an industry that has been plagued by those entering it with zero skill, education, plan, realism, experience or talent.

So, if you must continue down this path, please do so with a sense of respect for those that have come before you and take heed of the plethora of suggestions freely given to you.

I simply reacted to some harsh responses that took me by surprise. I didn't see it coming and I got a little defensive. I am really appreciative of the people who tried to help me and I would like to thank them again.

Flavius.

P.S. I do intend to become very good at what I am doing, I plan to train myself throughly. Just trying to figure out the best way to do it. Thanks for your advise.

Rhino

I love it when a customer watches me do an install. Usually, their reaction is "Man that looks easy. Mind if I try?"

So, of course, I give them a small area to work with. And after they mess it up, I get to charge them a little more to redo the mess up.

SignosaurusRex

P.S. I do intend to become very good at what I am doing, I plan to train myself throughly. Just trying to figure out the best way to do it. Thanks for your advise.
I admire enthusiasm, however, BLIND enthusiasm is usually very costly in the end and and sometimes futile. You may be better off directing your enthusiasm toward advancing and improving at what you are already skilled.

hoppers

I researched my Roland SP300V for TWO years while learning photoshop and Illus and writing my bus. plan....then broke down and bought one. 2 months later (basically printing every night), Im finally getting the hang of printing and laminating but nowhere close to having it down at all. This is a never ending journey or learning every step of the way. No way this is a learn for 2 months and your done and just everything runs smooth.

This is a profession and I respect everyone here for what they do on a day to day basis. Granted I do it on the side now, but I have read hundreds of posts on s101.com as a lurker before posting..and even now, I post just when I really exhausted the search tool.

Answer all of Jiarby's questions and you will be in a much better spot (or realize this really isnt for you).

high impact

Very interesting....I will be "shocked" to find out this posting is legit. You must realize that this posting has all the classic resemblances of an amateurish prankster.

In the chance that it is legit, you have my sincerest apology! You will find this thread amusing as well a few years from now when you are an experienced "wrapper" or "sign man".

IF this is a legit posting then please help yourself the most by understanding that this is a serious profession with many years of intensive learning ahead of you. It is not easy street as you originally thought - this is the attitude that will cause you the most grief in these parts.

P.S. First of all I am a "he", not "it" and highly successful BTW. Thank-you very much. ;-) Chill out and go with the flow a little bit - you will learn a lot here or become offended. My advice would be to learn.

Flavius

I feel embarrased to admit but this is legit. How goofy am I? Anyway, I accept your apology and I take back what I said too. And thanks for your advice. I more then likely did think this is easier then it is. I will take your advise and get the software first and put in my time at learning and start slow. Thank you very much.
Flavius.

Craig Sjoquist

ouch again excuse but ....favios

please try and get a job at a print or sign shop 1st even clean up would help ya understand ..hate to see ya throw good hard earned money away

I've had years of schooling, apprentiship, and been in the sign industry 34 years...reading your post I think is this a joke ..or a dull needle being pushed into me

although I do say go for it cause this is a great industry to be part of .....times have really changed printed signage is the future for now, but ya really NEED know how, alot more then before computers

git r dun

ndemond

I'm sorry, what do you mean, I smell a rat?

Smell a rat and what everyone else was referring it to I am sure you figured it out already. Wanting to know if your were a legit sign man/lady or a funny guy trying to ruffle feathers. It always amazes me new people that join up and in their first or second sentence say, I am green, gonna jump in, gotta a plotter now hold my hand and tell me how to put an outline on a word. Had anyone of them read a few newbie posts and read the responses, they would take more care in wording the first post. Go ahead and read a few and you will see where everyone is coming from.

There were quite a few wondering if you were legit. After a post like yours I always want to post "DANGER, Step away from you computer cause **its going to fly.

Anyway you are almost through you first day and not to many scars. And its Friday so cocktail hour is fast approaching.

Welcome from the Midwest! Keep you hard hat on.