• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

New to industry: Need clarification on print/cut machine advice from Roland dealer.

Johnny Best

From what I saw on your coolers looked like just cut color vinyl graphics off of a vinyl plotter, not a printer with laminator and them diecut on a plotter.
By that cost the sign company is giving you seems about right. Your idea of a decal maybe different than mine. See pic.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-05-17 at 5.24.43 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-05-17 at 5.24.43 PM.png
    868.5 KB · Views: 160

GraphicsSource

Can you elaborate on why exactly?

HP Latex is a work horse. You can set it on the take up system overnight and be confident it will be finished when you come in the next day. Consumables are reasonably priced as well.

Summa plotters with their Winplot software is quite easy to use and a very durable machine.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
What size is this decal you're describing.

If you know business so well, why haven't you taken into consideration all of the other parts of the equation ??

Overhead, insurance, payroll, experience, craftsmanship, machines, inventory and most of all........ knowledge.

You have blinders on, but determined to get the equipment, so stop asking for advise and just go get it.

mc3customcoolers

We make custom ice chests out of steel drums
What size is this decal you're describing.

If you know business so well, why haven't you taken into consideration all of the other parts of the equation ??

Overhead, insurance, payroll, experience, craftsmanship, machines, inventory and most of all........ knowledge.

You have blinders on, but determined to get the equipment, so stop asking for advise and just go get it.

We have the right to seek advice in our purchase decision

bannertime

We have the right to seek advice in our purchase decision

You sure do, but your business model relies on having the proper licensing to sell team/company logo imprinted items. Having a printer won't help if you can't secure the proper license. It sure won't help when you get your first cease and desist order either. Anyway, I'm not sure why any sign company would even touch unlicensed logo productions like that.

Now, say you had the licensing. 90¢ decal is simply the material and ink cost. That is just one tiny, tiny, factor. To print your first 90¢ decal you'll need to spend upwards of $5,000 to $15,000, for a used machine. If you don't go print/cut, then you'll need to purchase a plotter. If you're not laminating or strictly using cut vinyl, then you're doing your customers an injustice. Now you need to buy a laminator. So lets say you manage to get all of this for $8000. You buy a roll of economy material and laminate, $400. Your first decal now cost you $8400.90. This doesn't even include covering your other bills and labor. So, that's just tangible capital. Now, if you're not printing at least a couple rolls a month, then you won't be saving money on decals for a long, long time. This applies to anything from a 30in print/cut to a 64in printer with a 64in cutter.

The people telling you to "go for it" can't wait to see you crash and burn. The people telling you to outsource until you have the business to support a full setup, and get proper licensing are setting you up for success.

Last edited: