• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

New Guy New to the business of wraps and more and need advice

Rudy101

I've tossed the idea around for awhile and have decided its something I would like to fully pursue. There is so much I have to learn etc. So any helpful advice and suggestions are greatly appreciated. I am wanting to get started with car wraps. Regular vehicle wraps and also dirt tracks race car wraps.
My current questions are:
*what is a good design software?
*what are some starting points for me to start with?
*advice on printers/ cutters and vinyl or the right products to use

Sorry if its vague. Thank you in advance

papabud

Lone Wolf
welcome to the wonderful world of wraps.
producing the wrap is the easy part, installing can be an art form.
i would suggest using a quality wrap vinyl. the cheaper ones comes with a load of headaches built in.
we design in illustrator
we use onyx as our print cut software
latex printers are a good entry level printer and easy to use.
thats the easy part
i would suggest watching every youtube video on the subject.
and if your doing this yourself. plan on many late nights. wraps have a large learning curve. give yourself plenty of time.

ddarlak

Go Bills!

-Any software is fine, it's the designer behind it that matters
-One starting point is to have lots of money before entering a foolish fantasy like starting a business with zero experience.
-ugh, why bother...

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
I've tossed the idea around for awhile and have decided its something I would like to fully pursue. There is so much I have to learn etc. So any helpful advice and suggestions are greatly appreciated. I am wanting to get started with car wraps. Regular vehicle wraps and also dirt tracks race car wraps.

You are not ready would be my opinion, go start selling some jobs first and see how easy/hard it is to get business, outsource everything until you have enough clients to buy your own equipment.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Yeah, I just got a sledge hammer and wanna knock down buildings. Sounds like a good way to get rid of frustrations. I'd like to know, how do you determine which buildings need to be knocked down and do I need permits ??

* Is there a better way than not..... to tackle knocking down a building.... I mean once they start to fall, just get outta the way, would be my thinking.
* Do I need any particular equipment other than my trusty 12lb. sledge ??

I really like this idea, as you don't see too many things being torn down, just junk going up.

:thankyou:

kazziu

I have started with a solid workshop in a big car wrap firm, it was a 3 day seminar with lots of hands on, it cost a grand, but every penny was worth it. The amount of knowledge i gathered helped me alot. So i would start with that, in my small country we have alot of training courses so i bet in the USA there are many many more. Next advice it would be sticking to the best brands of vinyl like 3M, Avery, Oracal or Arlon, using edge sealers, primers, and learing the craft of proper postheating....

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Hey, I was on the internet and I saw on the utubie things, they knock buildings down with dynamite and stuff. Maybe I should look into getting dynamite or some other explosive stuff. Where can I get explosives to knock down buildings ??

Anyone have any knowledge they'd care to share ??

I'm a fast learner. :eek:

AKwrapguy

So first question would be is what experience do you have in vehicle wraps? What experience do you have in design?

By you post I would think that you have little to no experience in both. So here's what I would do if I were in you situation. Go get a job in a local shop that does design, wraps, etc...
By doing this you will find out the pro's and con's of this industry and see if it's for you.

A lot of people come on here asking for advise on starting their own shop thinking that 'hey this looks easy and profitable and I can do this' They never take our advice and they fail.

If you are determined to do this, don't buy a printer but instead outsource everything. There are multiple people on here that can help you with this.

If you going to look at doing vehicle wraps, watch all of the you tube video's you can, than wrap you own vehicle, remove it and wrap it again, repeat. Than do friends vehicles and if need be go rent a vehicle for a day or so and practice. This way you can find out what material you like and don't like. As far as wrap material look at 3M, Oracal/Orafoil, Avery, Hexis. Than look at taking a wrap class where you can get more training. All the major manufactures offer them.

Design, as far a software goes it's dealer choice, just use something that your comfortable with. I would look at using Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop, and Corel, as these all have capabilities that you will need. There are many many tutorial sites out there that can help you with learning the software (tuts+, lynda.com, etc..). Once you have a grasp of the software find something that you like and try to copy it. Do this a lot but don't pass it off as your own, as we will know and we will find you and we will say mean things about you and than argue among ourselves. Come up with something of you own post it here asking for feed back (you will need thick skin). Take the feed back for what it is and try again, there are some great designers on there and some people with a great eye for design and will be able to articulate what is wrong with it.

If your going at this by yourself look at 80+ hours a week with 60 doing paper work and billing and the other 20 doing the actual job. Be prepared to for big peaks and valley's in this industry. Be realistic about you capabilities, if you don't know how to do something outsource it, this way you still get you piece of the pie.

There is a lot more you will learn as you go....

dale911

President
Hey, I was on the internet and I saw on the utubie things, they knock buildings down with dynamite and stuff. Maybe I should look into getting dynamite or some other explosive stuff. Where can I get explosives to knock down buildings ??

Anyone have any knowledge they'd care to share ??

I'm a fast learner. :eek:

I have an ATF Type 54 explosives license for doing pro-fireworks as a hobby. All I can say is “you’ll shoot your eye out.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
Like most people mention, your gonna have to come back on and tell us what real skill(s) you have that would relate to starting your wrap business.
I can't answer the questions because there are too many variables. I can tell you exactly what I would get, but then you would have 1000's in equipment and software without a clue on how to use it.

There have been a few who have come to this forum who had already purchased all the gear necessary to start a business only to fail... at least you have not purchased anything yet.

There are a few ways to go about this...

--- Purchase a system that has support... 2 such systems is SignBiz and SignWorld. They are "franchise" systems without the monthly payments, they both have online and live support and training, though not enough training if you have no clue about what you are doing. Generally, you have to rely on hiring someone who knows what they are doing to guide you through... oh, and you'll need 150k

--- Get trained now! Choose a software (Corel or Illustrator or both) and start designing like a madman (or woman) learning the ins and outs of the software - join Lynda.com and skillshare.com and youtube to learn the software and the process of design, then go to seminars, trade shows and get trained in install. Doing this first will help you see what is involved.... you can start with 2k to get your feet wet before taking the next step - that next step might be getting a cutter and making smaller promotional signs (banners, temp signs, cut vinyl, small vehicle graphics), then move toward wraps...

--- HIRE SOMEONE WHO KNOWS! and watch them, don't buy a darn thing, get files from a trained designer, get them printed, then hire an installer AFTER you get trained yourself to do your install... then you'll know if it's right for you... you might spend 5-7k but you will know if it's right for you...

--- Work for someone...

--- Drop 80k on stuff you have no clue on how to use and rely on tech support to guide you through... (Not recommended)

cstone94

Pro-Graphx
If you want to outsource designing and printing; we can help you with both.

Printers are very intricate, and if you aren't familiar with them, it will take a lot of cash to get familiar. This market may look easy, but it's not for everyone.

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
Avoid the any form of race car graphics unless your talking Formula 1, IRL or NASCAR level racing. They want everything dirt cheap and putting your name on their car just means more of them will want dirt cheap graphics. While your tied up with them your competitors will be out making money.

Also there are a lot easier ways to make money in this industry than vehicle wraps.

ikarasu

When I read threads like this, it reminds me of:
Wrap Sales Cold Calling Tips?

Beware the pitfalls of starting a business you know little about... lots of good advice on that thread...
His website doesn't work anymore... so I guess it didn't work out for him :(

Getting a clientele is hard. Even when you know the business. I don't usually advocate outsourcing until you can afford your own printer... But this is one of the cases I think it would be good.

I suggest getting a job at a sign shop. Buy some cast vinyl and practice... If you already know how to wrap cars, it shouldn't be a problem getting a job. Usually you can spread out and learn all the other aspects of wrapping... It took me years to learn to do stuff from start to finish, and I still feel like a novice. And while I'm good at wrapping, I'm not dense enough to think I could design something from scratch.

So while you may be able to wrap, you might not be able to design... You need to be trained on a specific software, and even after that... you need to have talent. You cant just click a couple buttons and boom, theres a wrap. Buy a few months worth of adobe photoshop / illustrator, see if you can even design your own wraps... Because if you cant, theres another expense to add to your shop. And a good Designer isn't a cheap expense either.

Sign consultant

I will go with those who are advising you to get the things done by outsourcing.
Get price from others put your markup and rock n roll....for local customer get some technical staff work with them and start to learn wrao...at this time you have no idea car wrap work is harder tnan install chanel letters set....
Think of it...and work to use your energy for right direction to get better results...
Best of luck...

AKwrapguy

You guys ever wonder how many of these "new to the industry......" people actually take the advice given here? How many people actually reply back to these?

brentjosker

My advice....DONT DO IT. many many hours, little profit when you put 8 hours into a car and the customer pulls it apart in 3.3 seconds cause the two idiots you hired who claimed they are certified arent actually certified they are preferred which mean crap in our industry. Its gonna take you a solid 5 years of software skills and wrap experience to get the tools you need toget profitable
Here example Arlon SXL with overlam is 850.00 it will do approx 2 cars plus inks another 500.00. Min 8 to 10 hours of design if you nail it out of the gate. 6 hours of print another 3 hours of lam and trim. Car prep time with wrap is 8 to 10 hours, the cost out the door is around average 2400 to 2600 dollars so unless your doing volume you aint killing it
In comparision, customer orders LED screen, do drawing , get approval, provide quote, get permot, line up subs, complete in 4 weeks and colllect final payment walk away with 5 to 8 grand..you pick

Rick

You guys ever wonder how many of these "new to the industry......" people actually take the advice given here? How many people actually reply back to these?

My experience is 1 in 25 may follow up or take advice... if I think about it, it makes me wonder why I even contribute and occasionally I leave for a while... then I get sucked in again...

Rick

My advice....DONT DO IT. many many hours, little profit when you put 8 hours into a car and the customer pulls it apart in 3.3 seconds cause the two idiots you hired who claimed they are certified arent actually certified they are preferred which mean crap in our industry. Its gonna take you a solid 5 years of software skills and wrap experience to get the tools you need toget profitable
Here example Arlon SXL with overlam is 850.00 it will do approx 2 cars plus inks another 500.00. Min 8 to 10 hours of design if you nail it out of the gate. 6 hours of print another 3 hours of lam and trim. Car prep time with wrap is 8 to 10 hours, the cost out the door is around average 2400 to 2600 dollars so unless your doing volume you aint killing it
In comparision, customer orders LED screen, do drawing , get approval, provide quote, get permot, line up subs, complete in 4 weeks and colllect final payment walk away with 5 to 8 grand..you pick

This is good advice if Arizona didn't require a C-38 Sign Contractors license... you can't even broker an electrical sign there, not legally anyway. The other thing, the risk is greater with an LED screen, or larger projects, it's why there are bonding, savings and insurance requirements. I have met more than a few hack fabricators and installers that could sabotage even the simplest of projects.

The other thing I see wrong with your argument is...
Say I'm a 40 something year old with too much credit, retirement savings, making enough to get by but not enough to feel comfortable - say he's making 30 an hour... if it actually took 29 hours to sell, design, print, laminate and install 2 wraps, He's still making a hair more than 125 an hour after costs... looks great on paper till you add what you mention.... the time it takes to learn the software, design, misc expenses, finding installers and getting the work.

By the way, it took me a while to learn how to design large LED screens, even with shop drawings and engineering from an LED vendor... There is going to be a learning curve.

If he pursues this, he really needs to know how to read a client. I have designed a wrap in a half an hour that looked great, and butt-ugly stuff that took 20 hours...

Last edited: