• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

New to wrap

signsny

Custom Sign Fabricators NYC
Hello everyone.

I am new to wrap. I have a JV-33 160 and 1400c laminator.
Coming Friday I have a box truck that need to be wraped. 2 sides and one back. I am fairly new and wondering which material to use. The customer is looking for at least 3 year warranty and truck has some rivets also. You all are very professionals and tried everything. My post is just to get some help so I can start.

Thanks
T

iSign

first advice: reschedule the install date.

second: reconsider any thoughts on ignoring my first suggestion, and proceed with notifying your client to postpone the install

third: use an air release wrap film, and if you laminate, use a quality cast laminate

fourth, set up print files, with vertical seams, and at least 1/2" overlaps, any time you end up with one panel that is not using the full media width, this allows you to choose where you place the partial panel. If you can miss having a seam right through a face, or an abundance of horizontal details that would show slight alignment discrepancies, you should take advantage of the chance to miss trouble spots like that...

fifth: start printing everything ASAP, because the print time, cure time & lamination & trimming time adds up on a big box truck, EVEN if you don't have errors & reprints... but as anyone will tell you, there will be times that mistakes happen, and I just don't think there is much chance you will be ready to install Friday, if you wake up Monday with as little knowledge about the task as you woke up today with.

sixth: have fun

wes70

second: reconsider any thoughts on ignoring my first suggestion, and proceed with notifying your client to postpone the install

third: use an air release wrap film, and if you laminate, use a quality cast laminate

fourth, set up print files, with vertical seams, and at least 1/2" overlaps, any time you end up with one panel that is not using the full media width, this allows you to choose where you place the partial panel. If you can miss having a seam right through a face, or an abundance of horizontal details that would show slight alignment discrepancies, you should take advantage of the chance to miss trouble spots like that...

fifth: start printing everything ASAP, because the print time, cure time & lamination & trimming time adds up on a big box truck, EVEN if you don't have errors & reprints... but as anyone will tell you, there will be times that mistakes happen, and I just don't think there is much chance you will be ready to install Friday, if you wake up Monday with as little knowledge about the task as you woke up today with.

:thumb:

I'm still amazed that there are people that have the balls to tackle any project with ignorance.

WildWestDesigns

:thumb:

I'm still amazed that there are people that have the balls to tackle any project with ignorance.

People can expound all the advice that they want to, but sometimes it takes that first hand experience to figure out just what they were talking about.

"Trial by Fire" is what some people really need.

MikeSTK

Dawns Vinyl Designs
I might be out of line and I might not be answering your exact question but...

If you have not attempted this before maybe a sheet of material proportioned to the box truck and a print off of a scaled down version of the project would help iron out any major speedbumps.

Either way you will have gained 10 books worth of knowledge by Saturday morning.

Oh and grab a 30 pack and order a triaxle of patience.

Best of Luck, make sure we get some before and after pics as well as a breakdown after the project.

HulkSmash

Rule 1: My advice is to read his advice.
Rule 2: Reconsider any advice of not reading his advice.

signsny

Custom Sign Fabricators NYC
Very helpful feed back from everyone. Any suggestion of what material to use for 3 year warranty and which lamination. I like to use very economical material and lamination. Cast vinyl and lamination is very expensive. Customer is looking for only 3 year.

Thanks

MikeSTK

Dawns Vinyl Designs
Your best bet is your supplier. Ask them what they carry within your customers guidelines. That might be quicker than searching for a supplier that carries something you picked. Considering you are not wrapping a bowling ball you should be able to use a variety of products.

They probably offer matched sets of material. Guessing would not be wise.
Again if you are determined to tackle it good luck!

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
You might reconsider using an economical film over a quality cast one.
Calendered films are less conformable over rivets, screws seams etc..
The money you save on material may get eaten up by more time on the install.
A single panel needing to be reprinted due to an install issue would equal the cost difference in the materials(figuring in additional ink, print time, lam, labor etc).

With more experience this would be less of an issue, but by then you will know what works and what does not.

good luck

wayne k
guam usa

Last edited:

HulkSmash

if you buy cheap material. It will take you 10 times as long to install and look 100 times more terrible. especially if you've never done it before... please outsource it :(

iSign

Very helpful feed back from everyone. Any suggestion of what material to use for 3 year warranty and which lamination. I like to use very economical material and lamination. Cast vinyl and lamination is very expensive. Customer is looking for only 3 year.

Thanks

yeah... while we're at it.. I like to get paid without having to do my jobs at all... but unfortunately we can't always have what we "like"

...your advice was given to you, based on reading your stipulations THE FIRST TIME... just because you didn't get the answers you wanted, doesn't mean others can't read, comprehend, or advise.. it only means you didn't get the answers you wanted... and asking the same thing a second time doesn't change that the right answers are not what you "like"...

a lot of us did sh*t wrong before the internet... now you don't have to... but go ahead anyway... then you will be in a much better position to have your hard earned, educated experience ignored in future internet conversations! :rock-n-roll::omg::popcorn:

Last edited by a moderator:

Pat Whatley

You keep looking for a way to start doing wraps with cheap materials you won't have to worry about whether the wrap lasts three years or not....you'll be out of business long before then. What's the price difference going to be between using the right stuff and using the cheap stuff? $125? $150? If you can't get an extra $150 padded into doing something as large as a box truck then you're pricing is all out of whack to start with.

Go up to Isign's first post....he might sound like he's being a smart ass but he's giving you the best advice you're going to get, nothing smartassed about it.

If you're still determined to go cheap then I've have pretty good results with Orajet 3651 as far as it lasting three years. Installation-wise it's gonna suck ass compared to a good air-egress vinyl.

CheapVehicleWrap

Attachments

• cheap NY.jpg
    cheap NY.jpg
    5.7 KB · Views: 132

That's A Wrap!

Theres no need to be an ass isign. First of all nobody answered the question about what material or laminate until he asked the second time. Second, if he's " not going to listen" then why are you even wasting your time replying?

WrapperX

Thanks

If you don't care about how the rivets look in a week I would go with a Calendered Air egress vinyl - something like Avery 2903 with a cast or highperformance calendered lam.

But to do a wrap right - you can't cut corners. If you try to cut corners and spit this out you will end in disaster...

But if you're looking for an economy vinyl, then you'll end with an economy wrap at best...

MikeSTK

Dawns Vinyl Designs
As much as iSign comes across rigid if you go to the very first post, read exactly what was requested then read iSigns response slowly you will realize he made every attempt to assist.

He did offer what type of material to use (exactly what was asked), he didn't name a brand specifically but he gave the information just the same.

The rest of his response was invaluable information. No he didn't deliver the message with wine and a candle but in all fairness he offered tons of great advice.

2 days til Friday!
Go get em Champ! (and make sure you post Friday and Saturday) I wish you only the best on your project.

HulkSmash

Theres no need to be an ass isign. First of all nobody answered the question about what material or laminate until he asked the second time. Second, if he's " not going to listen" then why are you even wasting your time replying?

Why did you change your original rant on everyone. GOOD edit there.