Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need Help New VG2 - Printed spot colors don't match the spot color chart

Discussion in 'Roland' started by StreamlineDesign, May 19, 2020.

1. StreamlineDesign

StreamlineDesign Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Just got our new TruVis VG2 installed yesterday and it's been working and printing really well - until...

We have a job with some spot colors that I chose from the Roland Color System Library Color Chart that we printed.

The colors are WAY off. For instance PR21J on the chart looks like prints like PR19J in the artwork.
    Black BK03 is a nice light/medium grey on the chart, but looks white on the artwork print.

We needed to go to PR23J for the artwork to look like PR21J on the chart
    And the grey we needed to go to BK07 in the art to look like BK03 on the chart.

We have a message in to our local tech, but thought I'd try here in the meantime.

Also, we are using the new Orange ink. Where on earth do you find the color swatches to use Illustrator?
    There is nothing on the included Versaworks install DVD.

2. hand851

hand851 Roland Mutoh & Mimaki inks digiprint-parts.com

Nov 22, 2010
    Columbus, Ohio
  3. StreamlineDesign

StreamlineDesign Member

Sep 29, 2008
  4. John.

John. Member

Apr 28, 2010
    Melbourne, Australia
    Have you printed the chart on your own printer, and the same media being used for the job?

5. Mainframe

Mainframe Very Active Member

There is something in vesaworks that has to be checked, "substitute spot color or something to that effect"

6. gabagoo

gabagoo Major Contributor

Oct 10, 2006
    Vaughan, Ontario
    You need to make your own charts and then find the best match

• Like Like x 1
  7. StreamlineDesign

StreamlineDesign Member

Sep 29, 2008
    This is our own chart, on our media in the photo above. There is no Illustrator swatch file for the new orange spot colors that correspond with it though.
    So, for instance, I can't be working in Illustrator and choose to print the color [Chart 1 > D, 109] without the corresponding Illustrator swatch.

Our local tech who installed the machine didn't even realize that there are no provided swatches, and said he'd have to contact Roland.

8. StreamlineDesign

StreamlineDesign Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Oops! Sorry! I confused while dealing with two different issues. One was that Roland didn't supply a swatch set for the Orange colors as in the printed library photo above (which we now have) and the color charts printed from the new printer being way off from swatches when used in jobs.

We're going to do some further testing and print some color sample to compare with the color charts and I'll post those later. Thanks everyone!

9. StreamlineDesign

StreamlineDesign Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Here are some of the colors that are off when printed from an Illustrator .eps file compared to the Color Chart. As far as we can tell, ALL the colors are off from the way they print on the color chart.

[​IMG]

10. Solventinkjet

Solventinkjet DIY Printer Fixing Guide

Aug 2, 2011
    Denver, CO
    Try printing as a PDF and see what happens. EPS can be weird when it comes to sport colors.

11. StreamlineDesign

StreamlineDesign Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Ah-ha! You're right! I didn't realize our old Queues got removed from our old machine (VS540i) and were replaced with new ones (I was out of the room for that part)
    We went into the new Queues and checked the "Convert To Spot Color" boxes and they are printing correctly now.
    You'd think the default would be auto-checked. :confused:

Everything seems good to go now. If anyone needs the Roland TrueVis VG2 Color System Library for Orange swatches, let me know. Roland e-mailed them to me.

Thanks for your help!!!!
    -Rich

• Like Like x 1
  12. ewded

ewded Member

Aug 28, 2017
    UK
    [​IMG]

13. Joe House

Joe House Active Member

Feb 5, 2004
    WA
    The swatches can be found in the install folder for Versaworks. The default path is: C:\Program Files\VersaWorks\Swatch\Illustrator. The file name is: Roland Orange Color System Library.ai

Good luck!