• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help New Wacom Intuos Pro User could use some pointers

kheebl

I just got the Wacom Intuos Pro as a early x-mas gift. Does anyone have any pointers or a good place to go for some help with it? I have tried it out a little but it feels so foreign to me to use. I know that will change over time. I Use Corel Draw X7 and photoshop CS5. I watched a few YouTube videos last night.

WildWestDesigns

I just got the Wacom Intuos Pro as a early x-mas gift. Does anyone have any pointers or a good place to go for some help with it? I have tried it out a little but it feels so foreign to me to use. I know that will change over time. I Use Corel Draw X7 and photoshop CS5. I watched a few YouTube videos last night.

What specifically are you trying to do?

Bare bones, I would get it mapped to the screen that you do your design work on (if you use a multi monitor setup). If you have shortcuts that you like to use, map those to the keys on the Intuos as well.

I've only used X5 (and that was for a limited time) as far as Draw goes. So what functionality (pressure sensitivity for certain tools, pens etc) can be had on some things will depend on what is built into the software as well. Or you may be able to extend functionality through plugins (for instance Ai CS6 doesn't support the airbrush pen (Ps CS6 does), but with the Dynamic Sketch plugin, will be able to use the airbrush pen in Ai). Things along that nature.

Other then that, it's just practice, practice and, yep you guessed, practice.

kheebl

I don't do much drawing, I really wanted it because I heard they are great for tracing customers bad artwork.

Last edited:

WildWestDesigns

How do I map it to the screen, in one video I watched it says you can tap on whatever corner you want and It will go to that corner, I run 2 monitors and when i tap say the top right corner it goes to the far right corner of the 2nd monitor which is only used to do other tasks while designing.

You map using the driver software. You can either map it like how it is, both monitors to the tablet. Or choose a specific monitor.

I don't do much drawing, I really wanted it because I heard they are great for tracing customers bad artwork.

It is more natural then using a mouse.

I like it because I do draw/sketch, all my designs start off with sketch and using the Cintiq allows me to be as traditional as I can. You'll love it for your application as well.

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
I have mine setup to only work on one screen at a time. You can set one of your buttons to toggle 3 ways with each time you hit the button. Monitor 1, Monitor 2, Both Monitors at the same time

So I work on one screen at a time. When I want to select something on the 2nd monitor I hit that shortcut key and now the pointer is on the 2nd monitor. When done, hit that button 2 more times to get back to your original

On this screenshot you can see one of my buttons is set up for "toggle screen". Your newer wacom will have a different settings screen than this one

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-12-21 at 11.51.05 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-12-21 at 11.51.05 AM.png
    56.3 KB · Views: 313

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
Prior to using a Wacom I had used a mouse for 20+ years. It takes getting used to but once you get comfortable with it you will never want to use a mouse. I have not used a mouse in many years

kheebl

Thanks for the help I figured out how to set it to my main "design monitor". Is there any extra drivers to make working in Corel DRAW X7 easier with the pen? I see there is a switch on the side to turn touch on or off. I'm guessing its probable easier with it off so my hand resting on it doesn't make it do things I don't want it too.

Johnny Best

Just go into one of your programs and start messing around with drawing tools and brushes. It is a far superior way to work than a mouse. It will take a little practice but the eye-hand thing will come with time.
I use a Macbook Pro and using a trackpad is a lot harder to master than an Intious for drawing.

WildWestDesigns

Thanks for the help I figured out how to set it to my main "design monitor". Is there any extra drivers to make working in Corel DRAW X7 easier with the pen?

Really this is it right here:

Just go into one of your programs and start messing around with drawing tools and brushes.

OP: Check your tools and settings in DRAW and see if their any graphics tablet specific options that would utilize the Wacom better.

Or check plugins for DRAW as well. For Ai, Astute Graphics has some nice ones that add functionality for pressure sensitivity that isn't there in Ai natively (at least up to CS6, I refuse to go CC but I digress).

I see there is a switch on the side to turn touch on or off. I'm guessing its probable easier with it off so my hand resting on it doesn't make it do things I don't want it too.

If you keep the pen tip close enough it will override your touch input. I have a 27QHD touch Cintiq and I figured out that little trick.